Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

touchipods

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Can someone post the free RAM available on iOS 6.1.2 using touch 4th generation? Here is why I'm curious:

If interested in the free ram usage on my iPod touch 4g:
iOS 6.0: 80mb

iOS 5.1.1: 140mb
IOS 4.3.2: 137 mb
(Took along time to downgrade and restore back up to iOS 6)
I got the average ram after a respring and after clearing the memory 3 times but iOS 6 couldn't free the memory so average couldn't get a little boost like other iOS versions. I got the free ram numbers from sbsettings and sbsettings is not fully compatible with iOS 6 so that might of been a factor.

I defiantly noticed the lack of ram in apps. It's the first iOS version where stock apps crashed on me. Settings and the app store crashed 5 minutes in. (I always restore when I upgrade so that is not the problem)
I hope I gave you some insight what is going on with iOS 6.
I might update you guys later with better results when sbsettings is compatible with iOS 6.

I'm still on iOS 5.1.1 but the Safari crashing is getting on my nerves (it makes all my background apps have to restart) and I tried touch 4g with iOS 6.1.2 at Apple Store- Safari did not crash. Two sites which always crash zooming in:

-Google News Desktop Site

-Apple iPhone 5 homepage

Those with 6.1.2 on touch 4th generation does it crash your Safari?

max53389

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
As the original poster of that quote I can see where you are coming from but I have moved on to the latest iPod touch.
I can see why your iPod would crash since those are desktop sites and they require more ram and I noticed about ~80mb of ram used on the apple iPhone site. That could defiantly crash an iPod touch 4g. I don't not have that iPod anymore so can't confirm. Also the google desktop news site did stutter a bit on my iPod touch 5g.

I would recommend skipping iOS 6 completely and avoiding desktop versions of websites as much as possible since they seem to crash the most on that device. iOS 6 wasn't made for that iPod and would stick with iOS 5.1/5.1.1 since I think that was the best version for that gen. Also try a restore if you have your shsh blobs stored, it might help with the crashes.

Hope other people can confirm what I have figured out over the past 5 min since I kinda rushed this and don't have the iPod touch 4g anymore.

touchipods

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
As the original poster of that quote I can see where you are coming from but I have moved on to the latest iPod touch.
I can see why your iPod would crash since those are desktop sites and they require more ram and I noticed about ~80mb of ram used on the apple iPhone site. That could defiantly crash an iPod touch 4g. I don't not have that iPod anymore so can't confirm. Also the google desktop news site did stutter a bit on my iPod touch 5g.

I would recommend skipping iOS 6 completely and avoiding desktop versions of websites as much as possible since they seem to crash the most on that device. iOS 6 wasn't made for that iPod and would stick with iOS 5.1/5.1.1 since I think that was the best version for that gen.

Hope other people can confirm what I have figured out over the past 5 min since I kinda rushed this and don't have the iPod touch 4g anymore.

Thanks for the heads up. Well my touch 4g came with 5.1 and I don't remember Safari crashing ever. When I updated to 5.1.1 OTA is when Safari started to crash. I believe 5.1.1 introduced memory leaks:

WebKit
Available for: iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation) and later, iPad, iPad 2
Impact: Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution
Description: A memory corruption issue existed in WebKit.
CVE-ID
CVE-2012-0672 : Adam Barth and Abhishek Arya of the Google Chrome Security Team

So memory leaks may have not been completely fixed or actually introduced new ones in 5.1.1 software.

I realize you sold touch 4g but what version was it on? 6.0 or perhaps maybe 6.1? 6.1 or 6.1.2 now may have enhanced performance on touch 4g or given more than 80MB free RAM. Sort of like how iOS 5.0 and 5.0.1 was a laggy crashing mess on touch 4g while 5.1 brought back the smoothness of iOS 4 days.

I say this because I went to the Apple Store few days ago and touch 4g on 6.1.2 was smooth on Safari and those two sites didn't crash no matter how many times I zoomed in and out.

Regarding desktop sites, I want to visit those on my touch 4g. The only way it doesn't crash is if I use Opera but Opera doesn't use Javascript. I have my touch 1g for that function/situation.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
From what I've seen and heard, the 6.1 update fixed some speed and performance issues for the 4th gen. At this point the worst that could happen is the crashing issues don't get fixed. By now, using the 4th gen for anything more than music, videos and twitter will introduce problems. Try to stick to mobile sites and limit tabs and browsing should be somewhat manageable. The 256mb of ram really is a problem though.

max53389

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
I realize you sold touch 4g but what version was it on? 6.0 or perhaps maybe 6.1? 6.1 or 6.1.2 now may have enhanced performance on touch 4g or given more than 80MB free RAM. Sort of like how iOS 5.0 and 5.0.1 was a laggy crashing mess on touch 4g while 5.1 brought back the smoothness of iOS 4 days.

I say this because I went to the Apple Store few days ago and touch 4g on 6.1.2 was smooth on Safari and those two sites didn't crash no matter how many times I zoomed in and out.

I did that test when iOS 6.0 was released. Fortunately for you my brother still has a iPod touch 4g I could borrow that is on the latest iOS version so I could do some more testing if he would lend me his.
I remain skeptical of the 80mb ram on the previous test is accurate but the other iOS version I believe to be accurate. I only think this because how I tested it, I needed to jailbreak and use sbsettings, which at the time wasn't updated for iOS 6 but still worked.

I'll definitely get back to you if I could get ahold of a iPod touch 4g.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
6.1 is indeed faster than any 5.x on the iPod touch 4G. But it's night and day behind the touch 5G. You only notice that when you pick one up and after the 'oh my god this ipod is so light' reaction, you notice the speed difference. If it's possible, upgrade.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
6.1 is indeed faster than any 5.x on the iPod touch 4G. But it's night and day behind the touch 5G. You only notice that when you pick one up and after the 'oh my god this ipod is so light' reaction, you notice the speed difference. If it's possible, upgrade.

I picked up a 4th gen white 64gb model refurbished by Apple with one year warranty for $195 after tax and shipped. Would you get a 5th gen over that deal?

touchipods

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
From what I've seen and heard, the 6.1 update fixed some speed and performance issues for the 4th gen. At this point the worst that could happen is the crashing issues don't get fixed. By now, using the 4th gen for anything more than music, videos and twitter will introduce problems. Try to stick to mobile sites and limit tabs and browsing should be somewhat manageable. The 256mb of ram really is a problem though.

I only use 1 tab anyways since using 2+ generally means the other page will refresh.

256mb RAM is a problem. 2011 was the exact same model as 2010 just a new white touch released. Should've put 512mb RAM in all 2011 models. Even the new 2012 model (16/32GB) 4g touches are still 256mb RAM.

I did that test when iOS 6.0 was released. Fortunately for you my brother still has a iPod touch 4g I could borrow that is on the latest iOS version so I could do some more testing if he would lend me his.
I remain skeptical of the 80mb ram on the previous test is accurate but the other iOS version I believe to be accurate. I only think this because how I tested it, I needed to jailbreak and use sbsettings, which at the time wasn't updated for iOS 6 but still worked.

I'll definitely get back to you if I could get ahold of a iPod touch 4g.

Thank you, I really appreciate it. Honestly I'd do it myself (install 6.1.2 and downgrade if I'm not satisfied) but the other day I tried to save my 5.1.1 shsh blobs (used iFaith) and it had an error and my touch showed white screen- had to get out of DFU mode. Tinyumbrella also only saves 6.1 blobs. Maybe I should use redsn0w to save custom firmware?

I am on 5.1.1 as I still have Google Maps and Youtube app.

This is quite a statement. I have never read anywhere where someone stated iOS 6 to be faster than iOS 5.1 or 5.1.1 on touch 4g. However, I forgot iOS 6.1.2 removed background audio using Safari so less thrilled to install it.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I only use 1 tab anyways since using 2+ generally means the other page will refresh.

256mb RAM is a problem. 2011 was the exact same model as 2010 just a new white touch released. Should've put 512mb RAM in all 2011 models. Even the new 2012 model (16/32GB) 4g touches are still 256mb RAM.

Thank you, I really appreciate it. Honestly I'd do it myself (install 6.1.2 and downgrade if I'm not satisfied) but the other day I tried to save my 5.1.1 shsh blobs (used iFaith) and it had an error and my touch showed white screen- had to get out of DFU mode. Tinyumbrella also only saves 6.1 blobs. Maybe I should use redsn0w to save custom firmware?

I am on 5.1.1 as I still have Google Maps and Youtube app.

This is quite a statement. I have never read anywhere where someone stated iOS 6 to be faster than iOS 5.1 or 5.1.1 on touch 4g. However, I forgot iOS 6.1.2 removed background audio using Safari so less thrilled to install it.

Like you can't use safari when playing music off web?

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
I picked up a 4th gen white 64gb model refurbished by Apple with one year warranty for $195 after tax and shipped. Would you get a 5th gen over that deal?

Yes. I value speed. That's a great deal, no doubt, but for me the 4th gen is too slow. You only notice that after using a device like the iPhone 5, 4S, or touch 5G after a week.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Yes. I value speed. That's a great deal, no doubt, but for me the 4th gen is too slow. You only notice that after using a device like the iPhone 5, 4S, or touch 5G after a week.

I have a iPhone 5 too.

I notice the speed difference but it's not too bad... I wanted an iPod Touch 4th gen because the cardio machines at my gym have 13 inch TVs on them and only take 30-pin but lets me watch my shows on there. The Lightning adapter doesn't send video to it, only audio so using my iPhone is pointless for TV viewing.

I'm really considering returning my iPod now. I don't know if I should be blowing 195 bucks like this...

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
I have a iPhone 5 too.

I notice the speed difference but it's not too bad... I wanted an iPod Touch 4th gen because the cardio machines at my gym have 13 inch TVs on them and only take 30-pin but lets me watch my shows on there. The Lightning adapter doesn't send video to it, only audio so using my iPhone is pointless for TV viewing.

I'm really considering returning my iPod now. I don't know if I should be blowing 195 bucks like this...

Well, in that specific case, I'd say that you have a necessity and if the iPod is the only one that works for that task, go for it.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Well, in that specific case, I'd say that you have a necessity and if the iPod is the only one that works for that task, go for it.

Since I'm not using it for any games. Does it matter if i upgrade from 5.1 to 6.1.2?

I do like the look of the new Music player compared to the way it used to be.

I don't use Google Maps on it and there are just some times I'll use a FB app or Safari.

This iPod will be 90% used for video and music.

Would you upgrade or stick with 5.1?

swockan

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2013
somewhat usable with certain tweaks

I did a registration to this forum just to write this :p

I do have an 4g touch and did a lot of reading about upgrading or not to ios 6.1.2. This isn't a good idea for anyone sitting on a 4g touch according to people online :p.

I still have the 5.1.1 with rocky racoon untether and is was laggy as *****. This is what I did:

Disabled a lot of background deamons (script from cydia)

Added 256 mb virtual RAM (Pagefiles and plist "hack" )

Added iOverclock to winterboard (doesn't let your ipod go down in CPU freq I'm now on 800 mhz constantly which drains my battery a little faster but so worth it since it's slow as hell from the beginning.

Batterydoctor pro can overcharge my battery and give me some more juice.

Since I use the ipod touch as a spotify client to my car stereo It's constantly charging but I can take it out and use it for a day or so without charging.

Hope this helped some people appreciate their old hardware a little longer as I do now. I now have about 130 mb of free ram when all my tweaks and apps are installed and running, this is including winterboard with "Glasklart" theme which on a "normal" touch would have about 20 mb of free ram when idle. (my own experience)

CAUTION!: If you don't know what you are doing you shouldn't disable deamons you don't know anything about since it can totally crash your ithingy. (I did it once and had to do an emergency ramdisk SSH to re-enable some deamons in order for it to boot.) Wasn't fun at all!! / Swedish wannebe ios geek:apple:

Last edited:

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
I did a registration to this forum just to write this :p

I do have an 4g touch and did a lot of reading about upgrading or not to ios 6.1.2. This isn't a good idea for anyone sitting on a 4g touch according to people online :p.

I still have the 5.1.1 with rocky racoon untether and is was laggy as *****. This is what I did:

Disabled a lot of background deamons (script from cydia)

Added 256 mb virtual RAM (Pagefiles and plist "hack" )

Added iOverclock to winterboard (doesn't let your ipod go down in CPU freq I'm now on 800 mhz constantly which drains my battery a little faster but so worth it since it's slow as hell from the beginning.

Batterydoctor pro can overcharge my battery and give me some more juice.

Since I use the ipod touch as a spotify client to my car stereo It's constantly charging but I can take it out and use it for a day or so without charging.

Hope this helped some people appreciate their old hardware a little longer as I do now. I now have about 130 mb of free ram when all my tweaks and apps are installed and running, this is including winterboard with "Glasklart" theme which on a "normal" touch would have about 20 mb of free ram when idle. (my own experience)

CAUTION!: If you don't know what you are doing you shouldn't disable deamons you don't know anything about since it can totally crash your ithingy. (I did it once and had to do an emergency ramdisk SSH to re-enable some deamons in order for it to boot.) Wasn't fun at all!! / Swedish wannebe ios geek:apple:

I used iCleaner to disable the daemons. Is there a tutorial I can follow for virtual ram?

To everyone saying virtual ram will kill your flash, it will take a long time to, about 5-6 years. By that time your LCD or battery would probably be dead.

touchipods

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
How is iOS 6.1.3 on touch 4g? Same as 6.1.2?

Also I did some googling and found iOS 6 on touch 4G when first released, had very low free RAM.

One person said between 40-60mb of free RAM and another 50. iOS 5.1.1 had 90. So I'm curious if iOS 6.1 and above has more free RAM. This is important especially in gaming apps and overall smoothness of the device.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
How is iOS 6.1.3 on touch 4g? Same as 6.1.2?

Also I did some googling and found iOS 6 on touch 4G when first released, had very low free RAM.

One person said between 40-60mb of free RAM and another 50. iOS 5.1.1 had 90. So I'm curious if iOS 6.1 and above has more free RAM. This is important especially in gaming apps and overall smoothness of the device.

i havent monitored any numbers, but just by using it i can safely say that 6.1+ has improved the performance on the IPT 4G considerably.

is it an optimum performance? no, just much better, but then again there is only so much apple can do nowadays with the hardware of this equipment.

i even have mine jailbroken. it complains every now and then but its very much usable for simple gaming, music listening, browsing and so forth.

touchipods

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
i havent monitored any numbers, but just by using it i can safely say that 6.1+ has improved the performance on the IPT 4G considerably.

is it an optimum performance? no, just much better, but then again there is only so much apple can do nowadays with the hardware of this equipment.

i even have mine jailbroken. it complains every now and then but its very much usable for simple gaming, music listening, browsing and so forth.

Thanks for the comment. Since you are jailbroken can you check the free RAM with no apps open? If it is more than iOS 6.0 days it would be great. My guess is 70+mb free. If it's back to iOS 5.1 days and close to 90+ free even better.

Also can you check the websites I mentioned and whether it crashes Safari? This will mean whether it can handle heavy sites or only light mobile sites as you say. Also if it crashes Safari with music running? I know Apple made some improvements to JavaScript to not leak RAM as much.

By light gaming, that means intense games like Temple Run 2 and GTA are now laggy? My touch 4g iOS 5.1.1 run Temple Run 2, Subway Surfer and other intense games fine with no lag. Again, amount of free RAM is crucial in iOS 6.1.3 firmware. Thanks again.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Thanks for the comment. Since you are jailbroken can you check the free RAM with no apps open? If it is more than iOS 6.0 days it would be great. My guess is 70+mb free. If it's back to iOS 5.1 days and close to 90+ free even better.

Also can you check the websites I mentioned and whether it crashes Safari? This will mean whether it can handle heavy sites or only light mobile sites as you say. Also if it crashes Safari with music running? I know Apple made some improvements to JavaScript to not leak RAM as much.

By light gaming, that means intense games like Temple Run 2 and GTA are now laggy? My touch 4g iOS 5.1.1 run Temple Run 2, Subway Surfer and other intense games fine with no lag. Again, amount of free RAM is crucial in iOS 6.1.3 firmware. Thanks again.

provide links to the sites?

and i havent played TR2 or SS in my IPT for ages now since last i did the games would lag terribly to the point of making them unplayable.

the swipe to turn, for instance, would come 5 seconds late around the time i was already falling into the abyss. i cant remember if it was 6.0 or 6.1 though but now i have all my progress saved on my iphone anyway so i dont bother playing it on the IPT.

as for memory here you go (no apps on background):

Attachments

• IMG_0268.PNG
    IMG_0268.PNG
    59.3 KB · Views: 139

touchipods

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
provide links to the sites?

and i havent played TR2 or SS in my IPT for ages now since last i did the games would lag terribly to the point of making them unplayable.

the swipe to turn, for instance, would come 5 seconds late around the time i was already falling into the abyss. i cant remember if it was 6.0 or 6.1 though but now i have all my progress saved on my iphone anyway so i dont bother playing it on the IPT.

as for memory here you go (no apps on background):

It's my orignial post of this thread :):

Google News Desktop Site: http://news.google.com/nwshp?hl=en&tab=wn

Apple iPhone 5 site: http://www.apple.com/iphone/

It crashes after zooming in/double tapping. Sometimes immediately other times after a few tries.

By that chart it means around 35+mb free RAM? That is even less than 6.0 firmware. Interesting about the experience with Temple Run 2 and Subway Surfer. Mine on iOS 5.1.1 runs with no lag at all. Can you try on 6.1.3 please? I believe it may run smooth now.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
It's my orignial post of this thread :):

Google News Desktop Site: http://news.google.com/nwshp?hl=en&tab=wn

Apple iPhone 5 site: http://www.apple.com/iphone/

It crashes after zooming in/double tapping. Sometimes immediately other times after a few tries.

By that chart it means around 35+mb free RAM? That is even less than 6.0 firmware. Interesting about the experience with Temple Run 2 and Subway Surfer. Mine on iOS 5.1.1 runs with no lag at all. Can you try on 6.1.3 please? I believe it may run smooth now.

i cant try on 6.1.3 because my IPT is jailbroken. i am running 6.1.

and yes, it crashes safari if i zoom in those pages (and scrolling afterwards). works fine on normal browsing though.

touchipods

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
i cant try on 6.1.3 because my IPT is jailbroken. i am running 6.1.

and yes, it crashes safari if i zoom in those pages (and scrolling afterwards). works fine on normal browsing though.

Oh. I thought you were running 6.1.3 or at least 6.1.2 firmware. :cool:

At the Apple Store running 6.1.2, those two websites never crashed no matter how many times I double tapped or zoomed in and out.

Possible from 6.1.2 it stops the Safari crashing? Anyone else that is on 6.1.2 or 6.1.3 on touch 4g try please?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.