Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7thson

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I just had a thought that I wanted to throw out there. It's a foregone conclusion that the iPad mini will get upgraded specs pretty much across the board, but would it be possible to increase the screen resolution without going retina? I am of the opinion that retina will not happen if changes the minis proportions dramatically. Right now the only thing that can pull off retina on a mini is an IGZO display, but there is zero chatter about that, at least to my knowledge. I am wondering if the next mini won't just be a spec bump straight across the whole device, including screen resolution, but not retina. Seems like something Apple would do. What do you think?

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I could definitely see the retina screen not coming in the next revision like so many hope, so I could see what your saying as a possibility!

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
If Apple can include Retina in most of their mobile products (iPhone, iPod, iPad, rMBPs), then I am not quite sure why they wouldn't be able to put it in the Mini. At least that is what I am hoping for. As soon as the Mini gets Retina, then I would be ready to sell my 3 for it.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
If Apple can include Retina in most of their mobile products (iPhone, iPod, iPad, rMBPs), then I am not quite sure why they wouldn't be able to put it in the Mini. At least that is what I am hoping for. As soon as the Mini gets Retina, then I would be ready to sell my 3 for it.

In order to get a Retina Mini, you need to squeeze in the amount of pixels on a full-sized iPad into a mini sized screen. That is, a retina mini screen would need to have a much higher DPI than the full size iPad. So it will be technically harder to produce.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i don't see apple changing the resolution of the mini if it doesn't go retina. i can see another year of 1024x768 before going 2048x1536, but i can't see the mini going to something else like 1440x1080. it just doesn't make sense.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
MacBook Pro (retina) — MacBook Air (non-retina)
iPad (retina) — iPad mini (non-retina)

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
MacBook Pro (retina) — MacBook Air (non-retina)
iPad (retina) — iPad mini (non-retina)

Well, the difference here is, most of the laptops still are below 1440x900 of Air, whereas almost all of the competing tablets are above 1024x768 of mini.

Moreover, Retina is a bigger deal on the mini, as you hold it much closer and individual pixels are much easier to make out than Air.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
In order to get a Retina Mini, you need to squeeze in the amount of pixels on a full-sized iPad into a mini sized screen. That is, a retina mini screen would need to have a much higher DPI than the full size iPad. So it will be technically harder to produce.
'Much higher indeed', but not unusually high, it would be the exact same DPI as the iPhone...

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
OP...There have been a number of reported rumors from some sites that deal with Apple products, now and future releases, that have stated Apple is now preparing later this year to release the retina display ipad mini. How true they are is anyones guess, but it will only be a few more months towards Sept/Oct/Nov period and we will all know if it will become a reality, or have to wait until next year.

Do a Google search to read up on these rumors ;)

http://www.bing.com/search?q=rumors...play+for+the+ipad+mini+2013&sc=0-14&sp=-1&sk=

MandyAW92

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2013
Either Apple won't change the screen res or they will make it Retina. And as screen changes have already been confirmed, i would say that the new Mini will be Retina

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
Increasing the screen resolution without going to retina would make developers support another resolution for their apps, and there would be even MORE one-star reviews based solely on an app not supporting the latest resolution.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It would be harder to market the ipad when the ipad mini begins sporting a higher PPI. I think Apple may went to further differentiate between the 2 (given how so many people are apparently favouring the mini over its larger cousin).

So the ipad with better specs, 32/64/128gb storage and retina display. The ipad mini with last gen's specs, and its key selling point being its light weight and portability. Enough so a consumer has reason to go with either one (or even both).

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It would be harder to market the ipad when the ipad mini begins sporting a higher PPI. I think Apple may went to further differentiate between the 2 (given how so many people are apparently favouring the mini over its larger cousin)...

Regular people only know Retina, not what the specific PPI of each device is; that's why they simply call it Retina. Apple will market them based on which size screen you want and if you want the most powerful iPad, the full one.

Considering many on here can see the Mini's screen isn't Retina but aren't bothered by it, or can't even see the lower res of the Mini's screen, do you really think people will be bothered that the full Retina iPad's screen isn't as high a ppi as the Retina Mini?

Last edited:

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
Considering many on here can see the Mini's screen isn't Retina but aren't bothered by it, or can't even see the lower res of the Mini's screen...

This.

The conclusion must be a spec bump and a price cut. Retina will come, but not this time round.

navra233

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2012
It's Apple, anything is possible :)

being agree with your words, I will say Apple iPad mini 2 may have much more features than we can imagine here. If still there is a person in Apple who can even follow innovative ideas of Steve Jobs.

WilliamDu

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Read the mail

Please check the Macrumors title page and you will see the following:

Mass Production of Retina Displays for iPad Mini Expected to Start in June or July

Tuesday May 7, 2013 6:32 am PDT by Eric Slivka

More detail on the story.

Saves lots of time to keep up with the news.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
OP...There have been a number of reported rumors from some sites that deal with Apple products, now and future releases, that have stated Apple is now preparing later this year to release the retina display ipad mini. How true they are is anyones guess, but it will only be a few more months towards Sept/Oct/Nov period and we will all know if it will become a reality, or have to wait until next year.

Do a Google search to read up on these rumors ;)

http://www.bing.com/search?q=rumors...play+for+the+ipad+mini+2013&sc=0-14&sp=-1&sk=

Mass Production of Retina Displays for iPad Mini Expected to Start in June or July

This isn't news fellas. This is analyst chatter and guesses from folks in different manufacturing industries that may or may not be in production with future Apple products and pieces/parts specific to different Apple devices. It's speculation. Nothing more. Nothing less. It's definitely NOT news. We are on a 'rumors' site and its the way of MR to report these different stories, guesses, theories and 'ideas' that tech pundits across the globe come up with.

Don't mistake that for fact or make purchasing decisions based on these 'stories'.

IMHO, I think we are still 18 months away from the same form factor mini (maintaining the same size and weight...as well as battery life) that would include a retina display. I can see the 2013 model including an A6 processor and a GB of RAM. As well, storage updates...32/64/128. Maybe even new IPS progressive technology to 'better' the current display albeit at the same resolution. I look forward to a retina mini. But not at the expense of its already svelte form factor;)

J

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
If they do they should push the full size iPad up to a 326dpi and make that retina standard across the iDevice range.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003

Please check the difference between news and speculation.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I just had a thought that I wanted to throw out there. It's a foregone conclusion that the iPad mini will get upgraded specs pretty much across the board, but would it be possible to increase the screen resolution without going retina? I am of the opinion that retina will not happen if changes the minis proportions dramatically. Right now the only thing that can pull off retina on a mini is an IGZO display, but there is zero chatter about that, at least to my knowledge. I am wondering if the next mini won't just be a spec bump straight across the whole device, including screen resolution, but not retina. Seems like something Apple would do. What do you think?
Displaymate.com is a good source for display chatter.

Internaut

macrumors 65816
Hmmm.... As much as I'd like to see a retina iPad Mini, I do agree with some of the sentiments expressed here. I suspect we might see a spec bumped iPad Mini at current or lower prices followed by a more premium device (but don't expect that to come in at current prices).

The reason for a spec bump? Perhaps one of more features of iOS 7 need a bit more oomph than the shrunken innards of an iPad 2?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.