Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RMT25

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Right now i'm using "Talkatone" and just downloaded "GV Phone". both of these work with Google Voice

What i'm looking for:

Works with Google Voice (optional)
Free
Can make/receive both calls and text messages to any phone # (using WiFi)

Thanks

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
I use and love Talkatone, I tried GV Phone because I use it on my old Android (I like bragging that I can have my number on multiple phones :p ) and its a lot more simpler, but not necessarily better.
You can't send MMS's with GV Phone, hence I switched back to Talkatone.

RMT25

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
what i want to do is use 2 google voice accounts

haha long story short...

use account # 1 for texting (talkatone is perfectly fine)

use account # 2 for phone calls (??????????)

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
Why would you want that? I'm sure there's a way you can add more than one GV account to Talkatone, although it seems pointless to have to manage two numbers for two purposes they both could do individually...

Edit: You CAN have multiple GV accounts linked to talkatone, although you need to pay for Talkatone Premium, which also removes ads, but is subscription based, so it'll cost you a fair bit.

RMT25

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
lol

what i did was make a long distance google voice number (but still in the same state) and now its gonna cost money to change it or something.

when my parents call the number, its long distance. this is the one i will keep for text messages

so i made another account that is local in my city. this is the one i will use for calls.

does this make sense?

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
I didn't know there was a specific long distance GV account that charges you for stuff a normal GV account does for free.

Doesn't make much sense, but I'd say just pay the fee to fix it, bc I don't know of an app that lets you have multiple GV accounts linked for free.

RMT25

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
it's probably because my parents have a really simple telephone plan and doesn't allow long distance calls without costing extra. the 2nd number i made is fine

the first google voice number tells them to: dial 1 before dialing this number

idk. ill probably just try the GV Phone app for now. seems fine to me

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
World Class City of Chicago
I use Bobsled from T-mobile. Google voice I believe requires you to set up a Google telephone number, but with Bobsled I just login and call the number (12 minute limit) for free in US.

RMT25

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
^ i heard it uses a lot of battery.

also, is it free for calling non-skype users?

Rosina Christen

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
Ya Skype works great but sometimes if the person is really far away the image kinda get blury.

Last edited:

sallyroth

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2012
Best Free VoIP App For iPod Touch

Skype and Talkatone provide all of the quality, functionality, and value that we need. But if we have stickler for options and want to investigate the playing field further, here are some other VoIP apps:
1. Fring
2. Line2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.