Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdarling

macrumors P6
When will Google be subjected to the same medicine? A lot of people complain about Apple, but I hear nobody asking what in hell does G do with all our data?

Google (and Facebook) are also under investigation for their privacy policies.

Google, in particular, is probably going to have a hard time with their new uniform all-apps policy. I bet they might have to break up all the permissions again for Germany.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
When will Google be subjected to the same medicine? A lot of people complain about Apple, but I hear nobody asking what in hell does G do with all our data?

If you hear nobody asking about Google you must be deaf then

----------

Google, in particular, is probably going to have a hard time with their new uniform all-apps policy. I bet they might have to break up all the permissions again for Germany.

Google must be one of the most scrutinized companies by regulators.

dannyp1996

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2011
United Kingdom
Likely only to shut you up. Chances are that whatever was going on didn't fit with the laws which generally only cover defects at time of purchase and make you prove it this far out. But it's not worth it in many cases for them to bother so if you scream they give in cause the cost of going to court and proving they didn't have to legally cover it is more than the cost of the repair

Actually, they did it because they have a legal obligation to. They even state this on the apple/com/uk version of their website. The Genius seemed to be unaware of this though. EU laws are laws that are applicable throughout all of the EU and this particular one covers manufacturing and design defects for 2 years from the time of purchase.

----------

But then again, people from the UK complain about the high Apple prices.

We do. Why shouldn't we? Why should we pay a premium for reasonable consumer protection. Surely 2 years is reasonable to expect a piece of premium technology to work without failure for? Do let me know if you disagree.

Last edited:

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007

Wouldn't it be easier if they would stop screwing people with these all-inclusive policies and break them up for ALL customers, regardless of country?

If you hear nobody asking about Google you must be deaf then

----------

Google must be one of the most scrutinized companies by regulators.
In fact I am seeing more and more Gmail account holders happy to disseminate their address here and there, who often appear to be using Chrome or any derivative.

There's not enough questioning about big G yet.

We do. Why shouldn't we? Why should we pay a premium for reasonable consumer protection. Surely 2 years is reasonable to expect a piece of premium technology to work without failure for? Do let me know if you disagree.
+1.

Considering a technological product likely to fail after two years is definitely crazy. Failing isn't the same thing as being obsolete. It may put budget-minded companies on the edge to provide such a warranty, but considering Apple's genuine care in assembly and engineering, 3 years should be the norm. This would make a nice marketing argument as well, without significant costs.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Wouldn't it be easier if they would stop screwing people with these all-inclusive policies and break them up for ALL customers, regardless of country?

Actually, I _like_ having my preferences and history shared among all the devices I own, without having to go set up each and every app for it.

It makes it so much easier that I can move from my phone to the tablet in the bedroom, to the tablet in the living room, and they all already know the last YouTube video I looked at. A lot of us waited decades for our computers to talk to each other.

Besides, I can go turn it all on or off via the Google Dashboard or on each device.

That said, opt in instead of opt out, should probably be the standard. (Although then half of us would have to explain to the other half of the world, why they're not seeing the same automatic sharing with their new gizmo.)

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
In fact I am seeing more and more Gmail account holders happy to disseminate their address here and there, who often appear to be using Chrome or any derivative.

There's not enough questioning about big G yet.

Trying to make the connection between an user spreading his email address and Google or using Chrome

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
Showing off their Gmail address as a status symbol, I guess, and boasting on using Chrome claiming it as the best browser ever, as if no other browser was already available for years. Shunning upon professional hosting services to put everything in Google's hands, whose CEO famously declared that if you care about privacy, you shouldn't have done it in the first place.

It seems reasonable not to trust these kind of companies with anything.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Showing off their Gmail address as a status symbol, I guess, and boasting on using Chrome claiming it as the best browser ever, as if no other browser was already available for years.

Still trying to make the connection between an user spreading his email or using Chrome and having to question Google

"Showing off their Gmail address as a status symbol" is just a joke, isn't?

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
Sharing preferences is one thing. Accepting that personal information be sent, stored and geolocalized forever by a foreign company who will never reveal what they are actually doing with it is another.

(...) Google's hands, whose CEO famously declared that if you care about privacy, you shouldn't have done it in the first place.
This kind of worrying statements from a company eager to use every road possible to gather personal information.

A Gmail address is a status symbol? :confused:

Still trying to make the connection between an user spreading his email or using Chrome and having to question Google

"Showing off their Gmail address as a status symbol" is just a joke, isn't?
I wish it was. What would be the other reason why so many push that one on résumés instead of, say, institutional adresses??

duffycola

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2013
The paragraphs that were critizised address issues like Apple having the right to globally share private data including phone numbers with strategic marketing partners. The same way you don't want any random marketing company in Europe get your personal data, I don't want it circulating around somewhere else in the world. Marketing over the phone is so old-fashioned and ineffective, that no serious company needs my phone number anyway, and I wasn't called from anyone until now, anyway. But as my data is stored, backed up several times, shared and distributed... If my phone number gets compromised one day, I would be the one having to change it and notify all my family members, friends, colleagues, etc. Or even worse, my data could become part of some weird scam.

As a reminder: It has nothing to do with Germany itself, at all.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Why should we pay a premium for reasonable consumer protection. Surely 2 years is reasonable to expect a piece of premium technology to work without failure for? Do let me know if you disagree.

In country A, if a device fails after 15 months both the manufacturer and the seller say "well, tough luck". In country B, if a device fails after 15 months you take it back to the seller and it gets fixed for free. Why would any sane person assume that the sale price would be the same in country B as in country A? You get more, therefore you pay more.

dannyp1996

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2011
United Kingdom
In country A, if a device fails after 15 months both the manufacturer and the seller say "well, tough luck". In country B, if a device fails after 15 months you take it back to the seller and it gets fixed for free. Why would any sane person assume that the sale price would be the same in country B as in country A? You get more, therefore you pay more.

This isn't additional service we are talking about though, it is just that our government (both domestic and in the EU) stipulate that we should have a fair set of rights as consumers of electrical goods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.