Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Groupon has launched Breadcrumb POS, new point-of-sale app designed for small business owners that will compete with offerings from companies like Square.

The Breadcrumb name comes from the hospitality point-of-sale system that Groupon acquired last year. Breadcrumb POS will exist alongside the company's recently renamed Breadcrumb Pro app, which is targeted at larger retailers like restaurants and cafes.

breadcrumb.jpg

With Breadcrumb POS, merchants can accept payments and manage finances on the iPad. The app works with the Breadcrumb card reader, which is purchased directly from Groupon.

To compete with services like Square Register and PayPal Here, Groupon is offering low rates, charging just 1.8 percent per credit card swipe or 2.3 percent for keyed-in purchases, with a $0.15 fee for each transaction. The app has several additional features, including functionality for printed receipts, menus, and discounts.
- Easy Account Creation, Simple Setup, Fast Customer Checkout
- Multiple Tax Rates, Custom Items, Flexible Discounting
- Employee Roles, Menu and Tip Customization
- Beautiful Real Time Sales, Product Mix, Till Reports
- Email Receipts, Custom Printed Receipts, Prints Kitchen Tickets
- Supports One or More Printers, Optional Cash Drawer
- Just 1.8% + $0.15 per swipe for Visa, Mastercard, and Discover (Amex rates vary)
- $5000 in Free Processing with purchase of secure card reader (limited time)
- Free Live Support
Breadcrumb POS is an iPad-only app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Groupon Releases 'Breadcrumb' Point-of-Sale App for iPad

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Seems like the wrong focus for Groupon. Intuit, PayPal, Square all offer more mature products, with more focused marketing.

Groupon should focus on improving merchant relation and offer better analytic tools instead.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Breadcrumb has been around for 2 years now, not sure why this is making headlines.

Sponsored article I'm guessing. Groupon also bought Breadcrumb last year and I personally think they will make it worse. Groupon doesn't really have it all together nor do I think they have what it takes to make this software really shine.

brownpaw

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Seems kind of silly that something targeted at small businesses would be iPad-only. It would be useful for it to work on iPhone as well... I'm thinking arts and crafts vendors, for example.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Breadcrumb has been around for 2 years now, not sure why this is making headlines.

Sponsored article I'm guessing. Groupon also bought Breadcrumb last year and I personally think they will make it worse. Groupon doesn't really have it all together nor do I think they have what it takes to make this software really shine.

We say right in the article that Groupon acquired Breadcrumb last year. This is a new app intended to broaden the appeal to other businesses beyond the restaurant focus of the original Breadcrumb.

And you should know by now that we don't do sponsored articles.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
I am confused why everyone is so hard on Groupon? I personally love their service and the couple of times that I have had issues with restaurants/merchants, Groupon has always taken care of me by at least giving me a credit of what I paid. Since the paid value never expires, only the promotional value does, there is no harm in buying them and having one expire if you are going to go to that merchant later anyway.

Now, I know Groupon has been having a hard time because of how many deal sites have popped up everywhere, but now that many of them are diappearing, I think we will most likely see LivingSocial/Amazon, Groupon and Google be the three big players in the end.

Google and LivingSocial/Amazon (I group them together, because they are the same company) both have diversified, so they they are not solely reliant on the deal sites to make money. So, I see this as Groupon trying to do the same thing and it makes perfect sense to diversify, so that your company can not only survive, but thrive in the future. Redbox is doing the same thing now by offering tickets to various events alongside movie rentals. Really, everyone has to or risk having to go out of business.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
We say right in the article that Groupon acquired Breadcrumb last year. This is a new app intended to broaden the appeal to other businesses beyond the restaurant focus of the original Breadcrumb.

And you should know by now that we don't do sponsored articles.

I apologize, I should have read closer as I read this briefly this morning in the car. Didn't realize Breadcrumb split into two apps as I don't work with this company as much as I used to.

While I have been on this site a long time, I've never stopped to learn if you did sponsored ads or not, so I apologize again.

Moral of the story, read more and post less :p

moogs

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
1.8% vs 2.7% with square. Looks like a good deal if the backend is there.

They're both a rip off. For our small businesses, using basic POS systems and credit card machines we pay something like $0.05 per transaction. Not a percentage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.