Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

American television network ABC has updated its iOS app with new live streaming television from local stations in Philadelphia and New York City. The change is an attempt to encourage viewers to keep their cable subscriptions as more and more users are ridding themselves of pay television and "cutting the cord", reports The New York Times.

Viewers will need to establish eligibility by verifying that they have an eligible pay-TV account with a local cable or satellite television company, and that they are within the local viewing area.

abcstream.png
ABC may be expanding viewership on its iOS app, but it will be stepping back the availability of its shows through Hulu and ABC.com, limiting access to paying cable and satellite subscribers.

The Walt Disney Company, which owns ABC, says its live stream will be available in six cities where Disney owns the local affiliates later this summer, plus 13 more markets where Hearst Television owns the local stations including Boston and Pittsburgh.

The company is negotiating with the conglomerates that own the more than 200 ABC affiliates to livestream those channels as well.

The Watch ABC app is available free for iPhone and iPad on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: ABC Begins Live Streaming Philly and NYC Stations via iOS App

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I'm in Philly, and it looks like ABC has disabled video Airplay streaming. Bummer.
Just curious as to why you would want to use AirPlay since you have to have a cable subscription to use the service?

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
One day, just think, all you need to hook up a TV is the power cable. Type in your wi-fi password and you're done. The rest is just firing up an app for the content you want to watch. That's my hopeful dream, and this stuff gets in the way of it. ^_^

hibby417

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2007
Just curious as to why you would want to use AirPlay since you have to have a cable subscription to use the service?

Right now the app is a free trial with no cable subscription required. I'm waiting for Aereo to come to Philly this summer.

rjlawrencejr

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
LA/OC/IE
I'm not impressed at all. How does this help stem the cutting the cable cord movement? If it is true ABC/Disney is planning on limiting shows on hulu and abc.com it only makes me angrier.

bondjw07

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2003
Is anyone else confused about the roller coaster that appears to be built on the beach? How is that safe...

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Is anyone else confused about the roller coaster that appears to be built on the beach? How is that safe...

It isn't safe. Take a look at some of the textual clues in that pic, and you'll discover that this news shot is from the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy, which devastated coastal New Jersey last year. That roller coaster was on a pier over the ocean; the storm caused a large portion of the pier to collapse, and the coaster fell into the sea. It was perhaps the most iconic image of that weather event.

Here's another image of the coaster in the water, from a different angle. (The coaster will soon be dismantled and removed.)

460x.jpg

Last edited:

smitty303

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2012
Colorado

bondjw07

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2003
It isn't safe. Take a look at some of the textual clues in that pic, and you'll discover that this news shot is from the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy, which devastated coastal New Jersey last year. That roller coaster was on a pier over the ocean; the storm caused a large portion of the pier to collapse, and the coaster fell into the sea. It was perhaps the most iconic image of that weather event.

Here's another image of the coaster in the water, from a different angle. (The coaster will soon be dismantled and removed.)

WOW! I must have totally missed that part of the news, thanks for filling me in! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.