Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRetired

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2012
WNY
TL;DR. I remember when I used BBM that RIM's servers would go down about once a week. If I install it on my iP4S, will it still go through RIM's servers? No thank you.

j4zb4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Was discussing something similar many many years back with a friend... About how BBM is losing its appeal and I said they should stop making devices and become a service provider for Chat and email for iOS and Android... People would have definitely paid for their services then...

I see BB has taken my advice but atleast 4 years too late.. lol...

dirtymagician

Suspended
Jul 24, 2012
Whilst i agree with others that this maybe too little too late from RIM i certainly think its a good idea and will give Blackberry a presense on IOS it didnt have previously, any advertisement is better than none at all and if the app works then i see no reason it shouldn't find its way onto android as well.

I'm more concerned about a) how good the app is (looks, functionality, ease of use) and b) how reliable it is. They need it to be spot on the moment it hits the app store otherwise it will get slated, get 1-2 star ratings and the chance will be gone (no excuses that its a free app either!).

Whilst there is no doubt that IOS/Android are at the front from a personal device point of view BB are still very much favoured when it comes to corporate and the less popular they become the lower the prices go and so companys save money and stick with them, they may not do apps and such but for a "no distraction" business phone i don't think there is better. Equally a lot of kids seem to have them so the idea they can still use BBM for free to their ios/androided mates will certainly help too.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
All I do is message and e-mail, been using BlackBerry's since 2007, went from 8830 > 9700 > 9780 and now I'm still using a 9900.

I have yet to speak to anyone that has given me a proper answer as to why I'm a sucker for using old technology and why using an iPhone or Android device is better other saying it's cool and you could do so much with it and oh yeah, it's cool.

Exactly, for some people BlackBerries are perfect for their needs. If people ask me what phone they should get for basic messaging I will still to this day recommend a basic Curve. You can pick them up for £99 brand new and they are still excellent social networking and messaging devices.

The +43% is precisely why the shorts are lining up. The problem is, it's not scaring the longs at ALL, because Blackberry stock dropped too far in the first place. +43% and the company shares are still valued beneath the price it would fetch in a liquidation! Blackberry shares are going to go through a short squeeze of epic proportions.

Owning their stock has kept me watching their product line closely, and I've been impressed. I've tried the Z10 out, and while I'm not trading my iPhone 5 for it just yet (a few apps could change that), I am watching their future products closely along with the Samsung Galaxy. This messenger thing makes the transition that much more tempting.

Couldn't agree more :D

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
For me Message does everything I need, if I had a friend who used BBM (I don't) I would just send them plain text messages

This. Unless BBM is integrated into iOS's messages app and works in the backgroung no point in using it. It's just yet another message app.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
BBM isn't much of a reason to get a Blackberry anyway, just like I wouldn't buy an iPhone for iMessage lol. By making it cross-platform the company at least is going to increase Blackberry's mindshare. For all we know it could take off and become a popular and well-liked app that gets people looking at Blackberry phones (probably not going to happen but anything's possible).

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Surprised that came through... considering that it's near impossible to tell whether a message has been delivered properly or not when using iMessage since it's so garbage when it doesn't work properly

90% of my texting is via iMessage. Unlike SMS, I do know when a message has been delivered -- and when it's been read. I can also tell if I don't get the "Delivered" status on a text, so I can follow up another way if it's a critical message.

I'm guessing you don't actually use iMessage (if you even use an iPhone).

Neo-Tech

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
90% of my texting is via iMessage. Unlike SMS, I do know when a message has been delivered -- and when it's been read. I can also tell if I don't get the "Delivered" status on a text, so I can follow up another way if it's a critical message.

You didn't get the point. iMessage says messages are delivered when they haven't sometimes. Simple as that. And I'm not the only one experiencing these issues.

Guessing I don't use something is a pointless argument, I wouldn't be speaking otherwise. I still use it despite its issues which I put up with on a regular basis. iMessage is a great idea, but has some flaws which I hope Apple will rectify in the next iOS update. We all know that Apple's forte isn't in their web services.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

I don't think he meant that it happens all the time. It's like users who've used BlackBerry's before complaining about downtime and saying it happens regularly when in fact it doesn't. You'd be lying if you didn't think iMessage (and Apple's cloud services) still has a long way to go. It works, but there's a lot of improvements and refining to do on the backend.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I don't think he meant that it happens all the time. It's like users who've used BlackBerry's before complaining about downtime and saying it happens regularly when in fact it doesn't. You'd be lying if you didn't think iMessage (and Apple's cloud services) still has a long way to go. It works, but there's a lot of improvements and refining to do on the backend.

No, I didn't say iMessage was perfect. But I've never had an iMessage status say "Read" when it wasn't. SMS, in contrast, is a black hole.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
I personally have not switched because of those two apps. I need to easily communicate with family members who have only an Ipad or an Ipod Touch as their Apple device. Simplest way to do that is by those two apps.

It if weren't for that, I would have an HTC One right now.
Voxer. Voice, text, and pictures. iPads, iPhones, iPod Touches, and my HTC One ;). But not on BB

While I am not the person that you are questioning, there have been stories posted all over the news and web, ad nauseam, to include MacRumors. Believe it, or don't. A simple Bing search is all it takes...

Honestly, I've seen iPad's and tablets used more for entertainment purposes (and some businesses use them for light work). Look at what the top app's tend to be - games, games, an occasional media app, oh, and games. As great as tablet sales have been, most people still use laptops and desktop systems for work. Tablets are a great extension of these systems, but unless they become more commonplace in the corporate market, etc. they'll continue to be niche. I couldn't imagine typing out dissertations or work on a tablet, and if they make them large enough it may as well be a desktop or laptop system.

In many respects, I can understand why he would make such comments.

Most, but it is becoming less and less. I know of several writers that write on the iPad exclusively. I just picked up a MS BT keyboard at Office Depot for $12.99, on clearance, and it works wonderfully...

Brennenlb

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2013
United States
What Would You Use?

Considering that there are a lot more messages sent on blackberry than iMessage, What would you use. There are more people you can contact with blackberry. I would probably stick with iMessage considering i have an iphone, iPad, ipod touch, and Mac. What about you?

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
The question is, when is Apple making Facetime an open standard as they said im its release

When FaceTime became the hit that it is... they quickly swept that promise under the rug and never mentioned it again.

For something to become am industry standard it requires ratification by a standards body. These sorts of applications are normally done under NDA's and require support from the industry. It's possible an application was made by apple for an open standard but it never came into fruition.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
You didn't get the point. iMessage says messages are delivered when they haven't sometimes. Simple as that. And I'm not the only one experiencing these issues.

Guessing I don't use something is a pointless argument, I wouldn't be speaking otherwise. I still use it despite its issues which I put up with on a regular basis. iMessage is a great idea, but has some flaws which I hope Apple will rectify in the next iOS update. We all know that Apple's forte isn't in their web services.

I've never seen where an iMessage says it's delivered or read when it hasn't been. I wasn't aware that was even a problem for people.

BTW, I questioned whether you use and iPhone and it says "iPhone 5 16GB (White)" right in your signature, so that was pretty much a colossal reading comprehension failure on my part. :eek:

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
For me Message does everything I need, if I had a friend who used BBM (I don't) I would just send them plain text messages

This could be a whole separate thread.

If I had a friend who used BBM (I don't) I would just:

(you fill in the blank)

1) Shun them
2) Set a bag of dog poop on fire on their front porch
3) Egg their house

LOL.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I've never seen where an iMessage says it's delivered or read when it hasn't been. I wasn't aware that was even a problem for people.

Had it happen to me which I found surprising. The next day I was asked why I didn't reply to a conversation and I did even provided the recipient the screen shot. She sent her a screen shot of her conversation and what do you know, it said delivered but her screenshot didn't even show the message. This was when Apple had a all those iCloud related problems that week but still, I'd rather have no receipt telling me there is a problem rather than a receipt telling me it was sent when it wasn't.

toaster64

macrumors regular
May 14, 2013
And these are they guys who claim that both Apple and Google have stopped innovating and that they are going to take the smartphone market with the new BlackBerries. BBM, what a joke.

----------

For something to become am industry standard it requires ratification by a standards body. These sorts of applications are normally done under NDA's and require support from the industry. It's possible an application was made by apple for an open standard but it never came into fruition.

Is this also why they didn't make it work in Lion or Snow Leopard? Sorry, Apple is just pushing me to use AIM because it's the best thing out there that actually works with everything. AIM from AOL! What the heck!?

----------

Not happening. Since they have fallen so far behind Android, there is no way they are going to give up apps that keep customers tied to the ecosystem.

People are tied to the Apple ecosystem because of their borderline-crappy messaging service? I think you have it wrong. Maybe it's because they make phones that work well.

----------

The question is, when is Apple making Facetime an open standard as they said im its release

Thank you! I tried installing Messages on my Mac running Snow Leopard. That blew up in my face. Remember, don't replace the security framework in Snow Leopard with the Lion version...

----------

While I am not the person that you are questioning, there have been stories posted all over the news and web, ad nauseam, to include MacRumors. Believe it, or don't. A simple Bing search is all it takes...

Oh haaiiil no.

almac04

macrumors member
May 19, 2011
Raleigh, NC
BBM across all devices?

Im not too sure this is a good biz move for blackberry. The reason "I" say that is due to the fact that BBM is one of the unique features of BB that make the device what it is and its usability. Once released, why would I go buy a blackberry when all I have to do download the app for my android or iphone? Its great that it does broaden the use of the service to those w/o BB's but there is no incentive buy a BB.

----------

ok- to everyone who thinks it is a bad idea for Blackberry to do this:

think again.

Before:

"No, I'll rather get the iphone, so I can communicate with my friends who have iPhones"

Now:

"Cool, blackberry let's me communicate with a service that I love with all my friends who have iPhones"

;)

in that statement you have just proved the whole point... by offering the feature to other devices, I am no longer playing with the idea that I may one day abandon my iphone/android to go to BB for one of its uniquely defining features. It seems as though this move works more so for the consumer than the company. Not here to argue, just making a statement. ;)

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Im not too sure this is a good biz move for blackberry. The reason "I" say that is due to the fact that BBM is one of the unique features of BB that make the device what it is and its usability. Once released, why would I go buy a blackberry when all I have to do download the app for my android or iphone? Its great that it does broaden the use of the service to those w/o BB's but there is no incentive buy a BB.

I think that was the case one or two years ago but I think today, BBM isn't as big of a feature anymore where people want to get a BlackBerry phone because of it and I think BlackBerry sees this. People who want a Q10 are getting it because of the keyboard. Period. I don't think having BBM exclusively plays a bit part. Now if you're considering a Z10, you're now entering iPhone and Android territory. I find it hard to believe that you're getting a Z10 just because of BBM. Personally, I think if you're getting a Z10, you want it because of what it does or what it offers - you like the OS.

Now I'm not oblivious to the fact that there are some people who do only care for BBM and they will make the switch, but I think those are only a few and BlackBerry is willing to gamble on that. To BlackBerry, I think with both the Z10 and Q10 out, people who wanted to leave have already done so leaving BlackBerry to make future plans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.