Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
Haven't seen these before. I trust this guy's insight more than anyone else's personally.

http://www.larryjordan.biz/app_bin/wordpress/archives/2276

There’s another, deeper, reason why I think Apple will continue to support and develop the Mac Pro. And this has nothing to do with dollars and cents.

I don’t think Apple is willing to cede the high-end creative space to a different platform.

Apple is a company, more than most, that strives to remember its past and use that past to inform its future. The idea of “Think Different” is embedded into its culture and the products they create.

Yes, we can be creative an any Mac or iOS device. But the wellsprings of creativity require heavy lifting: audio, video, 3D, mathematics, and deep science. These demand raw horsepower. I find it very hard to imagine that Apple is content to allow serious creation to quietly drift over to a Windows or Android environment.

On numerous occasions, I’ve had reassurance from Apple that a new Mac Pro is “coming later this year.” But what that new computer will look like or do, is totally unknown. It is clear to me, however, that it will be totally different from the Mac Pro we know now.

At the moment, I think that the principle gating factor is not a lack of interest from Apple, but the availability of the right chips from Intel and others that are needed to provide both the speed and Thunderbolt support these new systems require.

As always, I’m interested in your thoughts.

Larry

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Nothing new here. His "insight" as expressed in his blog post is but another opinion. From the "coming later this year", to the "different", to the chip availability being the limiting factor in the delay of a new Mac Pro...it's all been said before here on MacRumors.

Time will tell.

spaz8

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
Yep nothing people haven't been saying for months.

The one interesting and slightly scary statement "It is clear to me, however, that it will be totally different from the Mac Pro we know now."

I must be getting old, cuz I'd be content with the same form factor, just with current tech in the box: USB3, SATA3, PCI3, 4-8 dimm , at this point i'd take an E5v1 processor.

I worry apple is so compelled to update the G5 cheese grater case they throw the baby out with the bath water when I think this demographic cares the least about the aesthetics, and is focused on the tech specs sheet.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
Haven't seen these before. I trust this guy's insight more than anyone else's personally.

http://www.larryjordan.biz/app_bin/wordpress/archives/2276

It's a very similar tone to what he was saying right before the FCPX announcement, so take that for what it's worth.

Regardless, it's still all speculation on his part as he's providing no new information. Though I do wonder why he thinks it will be "totally different from the Mac Pro we know now." New CPUs and Thunderbolt are hardly reasons for drastic change.

Sadly, I think I'm about to finally jump ship. I might hold out for the possible leaks/announcement during WWDC, but I don't think I can hold out until later this year without knowing more.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
The mac pro still looks amazing, all it needs is major internal upgrades. The external design has at least another 5 years in it imo.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
I agree with the Nothing new here remark from eawmp1. The opinion at that link is pretty much what over half the dream-thread participants have already said here on MR.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
But they were all smaller versions of something else in the Apple range. The Mac Pro is the biggest thing Apple makes for a reason.

VT-1_unretouched_1.jpg

made By Apple. :)

i make movies

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
A smaller form factor is perfectly doable. Apple have a knack for making 'mini' things
iPod Nano
Mac Mini
iPad Mini

Be that as it may, exactly no people are asking/wanting to make it smaller. They just want current tech. Size was never an issue.

The drastic change I see coming is the modular MacPro, which could be utterly amazing or a total failure. Time will tell.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Larry is at least someone who is invited to apple to try out and comment on their software. Sorry to say, but I trust his word a bit more than the posters on MR

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I worry apple is so compelled to update the G5 cheese grater case they throw the baby out with the bath water

Extremely unlikely. "Thunderbolt or bust" is a more likely cause of baby going out with the bath water type of change but would primarily be in the dimension of performance.

There is little change to most apple product changes that isn't driven and not purely to look different just to look different from previous years model.

when I think this demographic cares the least about the aesthetics, and is focused on the tech specs sheet.

It isn't the spec sheet. Because if all of the components were soldered to the logicboard and the case sealed you have huge thread of folks complaining.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Be that as it may, exactly no people are asking/wanting to make it smaller. They just want current tech. Size was never an issue.

Your sentence is grammatically perfect: "Size was never an issue.", but way too absolute to actually be true at all. You realize for example that by the very fact you're treating it as an issue (above) it has now by all fact and fairness, become one presently. ;) But you're not the first so no crucifixions today (darn!). Seriously tho, it's been mentioned a lot here; some people actually do want it to be smaller and it is a small (no pun intended) issue to them. I dunno what the breakdown is as I've not been paying that much attention but I guess now that it is an issue and has been for awhile really, we will see selfish and political ripples no matter if MP is reduced, enlarged, or remains the same. No one can please everyone like that.

I kinda hope it would be smaller myself. But I think unless Apple is able pull something out of the system-design future, that isn't going to happen without sacrifice. And such sacrifices can be addressed perfectly by peripherals slash modularity. But I wonder if Apple even knows yet what if anything, the MP6,1 system will actually look like. :p

The drastic change I see coming is the modular MacPro, which could be utterly amazing or a total failure. Time will tell.

Ya.

prestonkd

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2007
Alabama
Whatever they do to the design, I just hope they don't let that same "visionary" idiot that ruined FCP have anything to say about it,

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
Whatever they do to the design, I just hope they don't let that same "visionary" idiot that ruined FCP have anything to say about it,

All to be fair his credentials certainly justified his position. His vision just didn't happen to mesh with yours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.