Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MajkJaro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
At my job we have a software that only runs on Windows (thats what the company says). I have a question because I'm planning to buy a rMBP saturday. Is there a posibility to surpass that and have that software on my rMBP without having a windows installed? remote desktop?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
At my job we have a software that only runs on Windows (thats what the company says). I have a question because I'm planning to buy a rMBP saturday. Is there a posibility to surpass that and have that software on my rMBP without having a windows installed? remote desktop?
There are many software titles that are Windows-only. You need to separate the function of your software from its function. If the Windows software in question is the only software that performs this function, then you have no option but to run this software. simsaladimbamba has given you links to two options for running Windows on the Mac. Two more problematic options allow you to run Windows software without Windows. These include the opensource WINE and CrossOver, the commercial superset of WINE. The options are problematic because they can be expected to work on a case-by-case basis but not generally. This is to say that CrossOver/WINE may work for your software or it may not.

Even though your software title is Windows-only, the functionality may not be. There is a breadth of knowledge among the members of this forum. Perhaps someone here is family with your firm's software title. It is even more likely that some is familiar with software that performs the same or similar functions.

If you give the name of the software title and the function(s) that it performs, then you may receive more useful assistance.

MajkJaro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
http://currenda.pl/?page_id=112

Its software for judicial officers in Poland. it's a simple software running like microsoft word with some extra features. Nothing complicated imo. It works offline but the data is stored online on our internal net in the office so everyone has the same database.

I'm just thinking how to run it with a retina mac book pro. Would be very thankful for some help :)

Last edited:

MajkJaro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
I have absolutely no clue how to do it so can you just tell me is it very hard to do?

I hoped for an answer "yeah, easy" ;) but I see that it's gonna be a challenge ;)

neilhart

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
SF Bay Area - Fremont

I have the rMBP and from day two I have had VMWare Fusion, currently version 5, running and use virtual machines as needed. I have both Win XP Pro and Linux vm's and some days I run both concurently. And the great thing about this environment, you don't have reboot; just close the lid and the machine sleeps. I do not reboot the rMBP for weeks at a time. And with VMWare Fusion you can run Windows apps on the OS X desktop if you want.

I am sure that Win 7 an 8 run just as well, I just have no need for them.

Good Luck,
Neil

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I am sure that Win 7 an 8 run just as well, I just have no need for them.

The OP wants to run Windows programs without having to buy/install Windows. Your method requires two purchases.

That said, I'd just buy Windows and forego Wine/Crossover. Use bootcamp. You'll at least have the real thing and not have to worry about compatibility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.