Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mansonr6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2013
I've been looking at buying an iMac for a couple of months now and I have combed the forums getting info. So I stopped in my local Apple store yesterday ready to pick up an iMac and the salesman pretty much talked me out of it.

After talking to him for a bit, he knew I was in school and advised me to wait for the back to school sale. I brushed it off though because I'm impatient and didn't really care if its just an iTunes card for $100 again this year.

The interesting part is he told me to be patia t and wait to buy it during the BTS sale. He said there was a strong possibility that Apple will be giving a free iPad mini instead of the gift card this year. Has anyone heard or seen anything that can back this up?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I heard this too from an apple store manager but hey what do they know........tbc

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
It wasn't that long ago that Apple would give away an iPod with their BTS specials, often one of the previous or soon-to-be-previous generations of hardware. Giving away an iPad Mini would be the natural progression of this idea, especially of the iPad is updated in the fall.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
My iPad mini is almost my main computer. It's a great little machine. Apple has used BTS to clear out "low margin" devices before the next generations came out and I believe iPad mini qualifies as a low margin device.

CaptHenryMorgan

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2013
The District
I'd believe $200 off an iPad mini, but no way in hell would they give away product that they could otherwise sell for $329. The most they've ever done is a free iPod mini or nano (retail $199) or $200 off a larger iPod. Apple isn't exactly the market darling anymore, so giving away popular high margin product isn't gonna happen.

Also, Apple Retail managers know jack squat about stuff like that this far in advance.

CaptHenryMorgan

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2013
The District
WRONG. Here's what happened last lear. $100 off Mac, $50 off iPad:
https://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/apple-launches-2012-back-to-school-promotion/

How am I wrong in saying "I'd believe $200 off a mini" when Apple has given $200 off iPods in the past. $100 off a Mac or $50 off a mini is WORSE than $200 off an iPod as they have offered in the past. I'm merely referencing past Back to School deals since I've been paying attention for the last 10 years, also since I've worked for Apple in the past 10 years.

Can you read? Did you read my post? Or did you just react like a child? Are the caps in "WRONG" necessary? You really had to make your point stand out so you could sleep at night didn't you. Even though you're full of it, or were you just born in 2012 so you're only acknowledging facts from 2012 onwards? Who cares what happened last "lear"? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jedi Master

macrumors regular
Well, depending on stock of the mini,maybe.

How am I wrong in saying "I'd believe $200 off a mini" when Apple has given $200 off iPods in the past. $100 off a Mac or $50 off a mini is WORSE than $200 off an iPod as they have offered in the past. I'm merely referencing past Back to School deals since I've been paying attention for the last 10 years, also since I've worked for Apple in the past 10 years.

Can you read? Did you read my post? Or did you just react like a child? Are the caps in "WRONG" necessary? You really had to make your point stand out so you could sleep at night didn't you. Even though you're full of it, or were you just born in 2012 so you're only acknowledging facts from 2012 onwards? Who cares what happened last "lear"? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well, depending on stock of the mini,maybe.

The only other concern would be if they updated to Haswell, instead of lower price they might do this.
http://www.christiantoday.com/artic...rice.of.13.inch.retina.pros.to.1349/32380.htm

I don't think the mini has been selling as we'll as they would like as of last.

Maybe because people are waiting on a refresh with maybe/most likely a retina display.

So, all in in all, I would not be shocked it they did this.

I this iPad5 will be big, when it plays out, $200 off that would be sweet.

Good Luck at school

Regards,
Jed

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
The good old days was back in 2008 when I got my macbook pro, free ipod touch - $299 rebate, free printer worth 100, and 200 dollars off my macbook pro student discount lol.. that was the best.

guoanhong

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2013
Last year, it was June 11th. It is 17th now, do anyone think there would still be the promotion coming out? Really looking forward to it. Also will the promotion only happen on Mac and iPad? I am planning to buy a 13 inch rmbp, 27 inch thunderbolt display and an iPhone. Any advice?

Mansonr6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2013
I'm thinking they held back due to the Father's Day sale. I'm guessing if they are still doing it they will announce the deal this week.

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
I think the iPad Mini rumor is a little farfetched...I think it is reasonable to expect a discount that could be applied to the Mini however.

I agree that Apple is under no obligation to do this promotion, however, from my personal experiences, I feel that the college demographic is one of Apple's more coveted ones, and doing little things like this to appease them can go a long way. That's just my baseless conjecture based on anecdotal experiences though, take it as you will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.