Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's San Francisco flagship retail store has been a particularly high-profile location for the company since it opened nine years ago, but the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Apple has submitted plans to move the store to a new location three blocks away. The new location at Stockton and Post streets will be directly adjacent to Union Square, the focal point of San Francisco's high-end shopping district.
Supervisor David Chiu said he hoped the new silver box-shaped computer store and customer service center would "turbo-charge" the Union Square area, which has long been home to many of the city's high-end retailers.

The new outlet will occupy the space at Stockton and Post streets formerly occupied by Levi's and be about 45 percent larger than the existing space, though it will include all the same features.
apple_store_sf_union_square_large.jpg
Rendering of new San Francisco flagship store on Union Square
Apple says that the new location will increase its staff from the current 350 to 400 at the new location, but no timeline for construction and the move has been announced.

The current flagship store at 1 Stockton Street is located directly adjacent to an entrance for a subway station serving both San Francisco's Muni Metro and the broader BART rail system. The new location is several blocks from the main Market Street transit corridor, but remains well served by transit and city officials hope that the new location will help draw more customers into the Union Square shopping district. San Francisco is also in the early stages of work on a new Central Subway line that will include a station directly at Union Square.

Update: AllThingsD has several larger images and a statement from Apple about the new store.
"We're thrilled to be working with the city of San Francisco on a new Apple retail store at Union Square," Apple said in a statement to AllThingsD. "Our store on Stockton Street has welcomed over 13 million customers since it opened nine years ago, and we look forward to serving them in an amazing new location when this project is complete."

Article Link: Apple to Relocate Flagship San Francisco Retail Store to Union Square

the Helix

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
This is a better location than the current one. It should make for a better shopping experience.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
I love how it stands out from the other drab buildings. I really hope other highend brands follow suit.

smokestack

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
This actually raises an interesting question - what will become of a highly customized Apple store? Will Apple remove glass staircases? Remove glass cladding? Will the building owner be forced to reconfigure the building, or will they be left with an Apple look-alike store that will be snapped up by another high profile tenant?
This isn't some mall store that will just throw down new flooring and hang a new sign.

We might be seeing more of this in the future.

aduzik

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2008
I was just there last weekend and I agree that's a better location. Lots of other high-end stores in Union Square. The current store reminded me of a scaled-down version of the Michigan Avenue store here in Chicago. It felt cramped because they were trying to fit a lot of product into a small space.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Re-locating stores cause they are not in desirable locations while other locations around the world don't even have Apple stores.

My state capital Brisbane does not even have an Apple store. The other QLD stores are way to far away. This is a shame I think. Just one example of many.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Oh great! So glad they're doing this. Walking up and down that tiny crowded street was maddening at times. Moving it to Union Square will make for a much easier experience to get in the store. :)

madman365

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
ANother store?!

I'm tellin' you. Everything looks rosey now, but Apple is gonna experience the same thing Starbuck's did. Market saturation with stores that don't have enough "NEW" products.

I love Apple. Love their products. It's all i use. but I'm getting less excited about store openings. Just feels like the company is more business minded as of late and less "let's change the world, again". I like new ideas.

Anyway, I guess yeah for Apple for opening another store.

RG129

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
That's where the Levi's flagship store is. I wonder where they're re-locating to...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.