Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
United States
Well after having had my iPhone 5 since launch and never using a case on it, I can say it is quite banged up. Specifically the top glass on the front above the front camera there is thousands of deep scratches, a nice deep scratch right on the front glass in front of the screen, and on the back I have no issues with the black coming off but the diamond cut edge is really beat up with dents and scratches, specifically by corners and right above the mute switch on the front. My only major damage is the bottom left corner has the diamond cut edge bent slightly up from dropping it. Other then that no cracks or anything even after several drops on tile and even rocks and concrete. This is my daily work phone so it's used heavily, and I just prefer the look and feel of the bare phone over a case.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
No case on any of my iPhones since the 2G, not sure how you're getting "thousands" of scratches on there, I have a few, none noticeable under normal conditions and a light ding on the edge. It's not that hard to do.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Not for me. I keep a case on and underneath my iPhone is in the same condition as when I bought it. I actually like the thickness that a case provides--the iPhone 5 is a bit too think for me to hold comfortably.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
My preference for each phone I own is to use it without a case.

I'd rather take the time & be mindful & careful with it for the sheer pleasure of using it as it was designed to be used.

Of the 30 or so smartphones Ive owned, which includes every iPhone, only the 5 has had a finish so poor I have to baby it.

Perhaps Apple will build some durability into the next iPhone.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
No case on any of my iPhones since the 2G, not sure how you're getting "thousands" of scratches on there
I'm not sure why you think your usage is indicative of everyone else's. Usage varies. It's easily possible for one to have little to no scratches and for another to have many scratches.

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
I use a bumper case with screen protector on front and back and its perfect. No scratches and I've had mine since launch day, the phone also looks very good looking with the bumper case and skinny. ( my iPhone is white and the case is red)

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Well after having had my iPhone 5 since launch and never using a case on it, I can say it is quite banged up. Specifically the top glass on the front above the front camera there is thousands of deep scratches, a nice deep scratch right on the front glass in front of the screen, and on the back I have no issues with the black coming off but the diamond cut edge is really beat up with dents and scratches, specifically by corners and right above the mute switch on the front. My only major damage is the bottom left corner has the diamond cut edge bent slightly up from dropping it. Other then that no cracks or anything even after several drops on tile and even rocks and concrete. This is my daily work phone so it's used heavily, and I just prefer the look and feel of the bare phone over a case.

interested in seeing the phone pictures :cool:

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Just last week I decided to take off the case on my iPhone 5 and rock it "naked". The moment I took it off, I said to myself:

What a beautiful piece of art.

No exaggeration. It truly is one of the most meticulously crafted phones. One shouldn't cover it with cheap plastic, which ruins the beauty. You don't cover your car with a plastic wrap, either. It's scratched, and has got some minor dings here and there, but I truly used and enjoyed my phone, and they are testaments to that. Nothing can be kept as new once you open the box, it will all start aging, so why not just use it as it is meant to be?

A few years down the road, when I look at the phone again, I'll have that nostalgic feeling that it was a phone that I liked and stayed with me for a year or two.

Now if you're planning to sell it, that's a different story, and I fully understand people's concerns on this.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
I've owned iPhones since shortly after the original introduction and I usually keep them for a few years. There have been only two times that I've dropped my iPhone from a standing height and on both occasions that broke the screen (the first time was with my original iPhone and it was even in a case, the second time it was my iPhone 3GS without a case and the screen completely shattered). Both of those phones continued to function after their fall and the only damage to the iPhone in the case was that a few rows of the LCD screen stopped working (i.e. the glass did not break).

Now I have an iPhone 5 and I keep that in a Speck hardshell case without a screen protector and after about seven months of daily use it is still cosmetically flawless (the phone, not the case).

YMMV, but the lesson I've learned after many years of iPhone use is that if you drop an iPhone on a hard surface from even waist height it's quite possible that the glass or the LCD will break. However, with reasonable care (without dropping) the glass does not scratch. Thus, the only reason I keep mine in a case is to try and protect it in the event of a fall (will I be three-for-three for breakage, I hope not).

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I've had a caseless white 5 since December and there are only 3 little nicks on the edge (where the shiny bit is around the device).

Not bad I think.

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
United States
If your glass is that scratched, I seriously have to wonder what the heck you are doing to your phone...

Setting it down on my desk, sometimes its face down and will slide around, it just scratches it pretty hard. But I don't mind the bangs or scratches, its a phone, and it still does everything I want it to do.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I think various people notice different size scratches to a different degree. I guarantee you all who say you use your phone naked all the time that I can find some light scratches somewhere on the phone. I might have to look for them, but they are there. Some people notice the hairline scratches easily, and some don't. My screen certainly has scratches, but they are tough to spot. Can only see them in the right light, and when the screen is turned off. As such, they don't bother me. Some people would be bothered by this, and for them I recommend cases and screen protectors.

Fouracre44

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2012
That's funny, I know several people who own iphones 5, every single iphone 5 I hvae seen so far seems to have at least a little bit of the back of the phone scratched off, except the people with cases.

vampireszombies

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
Texas
Just last week I decided to take off the case on my iPhone 5 and rock it "naked". The moment I took it off, I said to myself:

What a beautiful piece of art.

No exaggeration. It truly is one of the most meticulously crafted phones. One shouldn't cover it with cheap plastic, which ruins the beauty. You don't cover your car with a plastic wrap, either. It's scratched, and has got some minor dings here and there, but I truly used and enjoyed my phone, and they are testaments to that. Nothing can be kept as new once you open the box, it will all start aging, so why not just use it as it is meant to be?

A few years down the road, when I look at the phone again, I'll have that nostalgic feeling that it was a phone that I liked and stayed with me for a year or two.

Now if you're planning to sell it, that's a different story, and I fully understand people's concerns on this.

I always see these stories of people going "naked", but I always wondered if people are aware that you can get a "naked" iphone and spend ~$15 for a front and back screen protector (a nice clear one) and still protect it and have your nakedness. Seeing the original post could have been prevented by spending a tiny amound of money which would of stopped most of those scratches from happening and would have still been enjoying a naked phone.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
I always see these stories of people going "naked", but I always wondered if people are aware that you can get a "naked" iphone and spend ~$15 for a front and back screen protector (a nice clear one) and still protect it and have your nakedness. Seeing the original post could have been prevented by spending a tiny amound of money which would of stopped most of those scratches from happening and would have still been enjoying a naked phone.

considering how cheaply iphone 5 is made i wouldn't be surprised if a screen protector, while peeling it off, would take away the whole paint from the phone:D

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
This is such a non-issue. Get one of those ultra thin cases like the Caudabe Veil and be done with it. My wife uses one on her white iPhone and it looks fantastic. No more scratches and you're not covering up the design with some tacky case. End of story. Next thread please.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

I do have a front protector on, do notice that, most of the back protectors are still made with plastic and ruin the feel of the phone.

considering how cheaply iphone 5 is made i wouldn't be surprised if a screen protector, while peeling it off, would take away the whole paint from the phone:D

Your really picked the right username. No it doesn't.

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
My iPhone 5 has been caseless from day one, and it is pretty much pristine. The only scratches I can see are on the Apple logo. The rest of the phone looks like new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.