Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
What would an Apple-brand TV bring to the table that the current Apple TV box (or a future iteration of it) and a nice flat-panel TV can't already do? Nobody really does video calls on the TV when everybody can do it on their smartphone/tablet. I'd rather have an Apple TV box with an optional USB FaceTime camera to sit on top of my TV, and the ability to install appropriate apps on the Apple TV box. Then I can choose whichever TV I want.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
Because Apple has good hardware, and software. Not to mention agreements with music, and movie studios, as well as the easiest UI to learn and use.

just my opinion.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
personally im looking forward to what it will mean in terms of a la carte services, i don't think they will put out an ATV right away that lets you pic what you want to watch and pay for it.

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
I agree that the current TV + Set top box provides all the functionality that I really want. However, I'd like to have it all built into a single unit and avoid the extra HDMI and power cables. When you start talking about adding external devices like a camera to the STB, a single box sounds even better to me.

It's all about priorities. Style and convenience have value. Maybe some people place higher value on those things than others do. I hope that if the all in one Apple TV ever becomes a reality the current solution remains available as well. If the all in one type were available from Apple and I was ready to replace my existing TV, the Apple model would definitely be on my short list, but I'd have to weigh the price against how I value it's style.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Why the desire for an Apple-brand TV?

If you have to ask this question, I believe you should be banned, BANNED! :D

In a single sentence: To bring the Apple ecosystem to Video, following their success for Music.

Personally I don't like the idea of Apple making their own screen, display screen is a tough business, vendors are barely making money of them if any, why would Apple enter such a low margin business? The rumored Apple TV is said to be usd$2K+. I want to know what's the market share for people (not the rich people here) who spend $2K+ for a TV.

I am saying, build a REALLY smart AppleTV box, not the current incarnation, which is embarrassment really, and let people pair it up with any screen they want.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
personally im looking forward to what it will mean in terms of a la carte services, i don't think they will put out an ATV right away that lets you pic what you want to watch and pay for it.

I'm not sure they could even do this until McCain's bill passes in Congress. But then again i'm sure the networks lobbiests will kill it.

Link

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
i meant with an agreement with the networks, similar to what they did with music, i think its only a matter of time.

The content providers will resist, but really, they have no choice.

The universe of subscribers on traditional broadcasts is shrinking, and you know those guys have to get bigger or perish so where they gonna get the business from?

There are some music people who think they got a raw deal from Steve Jobs, but again, what choices did they have when everybody back then was downloading stuff left and right for free?

Get your stuff straight online, on demand, that's the future, it may take a little while but history shown, people like their conveniences.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
The content providers will resist, but really, they have no choice.

The universe of subscribers on traditional broadcasts is shrinking, and you know those guys have to get bigger or perish so where they gonna get the business from?

There are some music people who think they got a raw deal from Steve Jobs, but again, what choices did they have when everybody back then was downloading stuff left and right for free?

Get your stuff straight online, on demand, that's the future, it may take a little while but history shown, people like their conveniences.

agreed. it won't be easy, but as a young bill payer, i know myself and almost everyone i know dont bother with cable, and dont plan too, they either use netflix or hulu, some download/stream. eventually the subscriber base will just be too small

bbapps

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Texas
I'd rather have an Apple TV box with an optional USB FaceTime camera to sit on top of my TV, and the ability to install appropriate apps on the Apple TV box. Then I can choose whichever TV I want.

I agree, lot cheaper to keep a $99 add-on box current, than it is to keep a $1500 - $3000 TV current.

StinDaWg

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
I would never buy an Apple television when you can get a 60" Panasonic plasma for $800 that will have better picture quality than whatever lcd panel apple would presumably use.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
What would an Apple-brand TV bring to the table that the current Apple TV box (or a future iteration of it) and a nice flat-panel TV can't already do?

Hopefully, nothing... ever. I always want to keep the display separate from the smarts plus I can't imagine an Apple-branded TV being exactly reasonably priced. What I'm getting at, I hope to always get the Apple-branded TV experience with the $99 box and whatever TV I want.

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
I understand that the current Apple TV set top box is great but having all this built into an actual TV would be great too as long as it is priced competitively. I think thats the hold up. Creating a great TV with all these features and build quality priced right. We will see soon enough:apple:

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
It's a nice thing for someone buying a TV, especially if it's some 4K flashy device. But for the majority of people, I think the Apple TV box is fine. Yes, it's another set of cables. But I'm fine with another set of cables to not have to fork out more than $1,000 for a new TV I don't need. $100 for a little box? I'll take it.

The whole thing is kind of like iPod touch vs. iPhone. Sure, everybody would love an iPhone. But if you can't afford the service and all, you can get most of the features on an iPod touch. It's not a perfect analogy, but it's in the ballpark.

I'm hoping Apple announces an Apple TV SDK next month. Let loose the dogs of war on that thing. Make iTunes Extras and iTunes LP compatible with Apple TV, create a more advanced remote -- basically a $50 touchscreen that serves as a fancy, customizable remote if you don't have an iOS device. Then unveil new models with more storage and watch the money roll in.

98EXL

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
not on the moon
I would never buy an Apple television when you can get a 60" Panasonic plasma for $800 that will have better picture quality than whatever lcd panel apple would presumably use.

I'm scared of plasma going away. I hug (not really) both of my Panny plasmas everyday. Damn they look good, just wish they had RS-232.

As to the OP, nope, I don't want an Apple-brand TV, I love my 3 ATV3's around the house on a variety of panels as it is. I think it's been kind of hit on already, they [Apple] don't need to make a TV, they need the OSTB to continue to performing admirably.

Only two issues I have with the current ATV, no mkv support or IP control (outside of the remote app), but aren't deal breakers IMHO.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
What would an Apple-brand TV bring to the table that the current Apple TV box (or a future iteration of it) and a nice flat-panel TV can't already do?
Already covered above: Apple hardware, software and UI in one unit. Not just having everything in one but having then entire experience integrated and overhauled by Apple. I'm not sure why you're trying to assess something that isn't out yet. If you're curious wait and try and then decide.

If you don't see the point then move on (just like anything else). Plenty of others will. Nothing is one size fits all.

Nobody really does video calls on the TV
Citation? You seem to be assuming "I don't" = "Nobody does".

I'd rather have an Apple TV box with an optional USB FaceTime camera to sit on top of my TV, and the ability to install appropriate apps on the Apple TV box. Then I can choose whichever TV I want.
Your preferences are just your preferences. Do whatever you prefer but don't assume that the masses share your particular preferences.

But you get all that with the Apple TV right now... All that's missing is the screen.
That's a big "all that's missing". Not just the screen but the integration and UI. It's not just the one little item that you make it out to be. It seems insignificant to you because it's not important to you but, again, you have to consider that your priorities aren't everyone else's.

I prefer to have my TV act as nothing but a "dumb" screen but that doesn't mean that I am so blinded by my preferences that I can't see that others would prefer otherwise.

Last edited:

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
The top reason is, the mass market loves integration. Using component audio systems as an example, while the early adopters and audiophiles loved component systems, the mass market purchased all-in-one solutions, and even audiophiles migrated from separate pre-amp, tuner, and power amp to integrated receivers.

I'm hoping for full integration of cable TV and Apple TV services (no multiple remotes, everything controlled by a sleek Apple Remote and iOS devices). Everything you need is connected to the same device. It's probably too much to hope for a TV that includes the cable box, but you never know.

Another feature ripe for integration - gaming. Kicking the offerings (and revenues) at the App Store up several notches. Think Apple's going to let X-Box, which is moving in the direction of Apple TV, go unchallenged?

Integration brings synergies. Today's TVs ought to have FaceTime/Skype capabilities that do not depend on outboard iOS devices and AirPlay. That means cameras and mics. And from that? All the uses iOS devices currently make of those sensors, plus living room-inspired uses.

Of course, I'm presuming the TV will have full iOS capabilities, and new additions to the API. I can't see how Apple wouldn't do that. They need to bring first-time Apple customers into the ecosystem. Third-party software adds value and an added revenue stream. Have they been intentionally holding back on that with the current Apple TV product? Perhaps. Let the App Store developers loose on this!

Deeper integration with the Apple ecosystem means FaceTime, iMessage, Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Passbook, etc. (via iCloud, of course). While AirPlay is cool, a truly integrated TV would reduce the need for outboard input. The TV might be a family's first step into the Apple ecosystem (just as iOS devices have been for many Windows users). Smart thermostats and lightbulbs (and, I'm sure, security sensors, remote cameras...) belong in every home. I don't think Apple's going to ignore the opportunity.

Apple didn't build the first smart phone, but when they did... So, we can look at what's already out there in "smart" TVs, and expect that Apple will not bring out a me-too product.

And for those who aren't ready to retire their old HD sets, I'd expect an outboard Apple TV product with greater capabilities, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.