Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
I'm considering restoring my iPad 1 because performance keeps getting worse. I wish I'd never upgraded to 5.x because the additional features aren't worth the hit.

So I'd like to know which OS version I get after restore. Does it go back to the one that it originally shipped with and then prompt me to upgrade to 5.x? Or does it automatically pull down and install 5.x?

Thanks.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
Bummer.

I rarely empty my iMac's trash. Is that where the 4.x blob might be? If so, what's the name I should look for? I recall other threads that discuss how to downgrade if you have still have the previous version's blob.

Thanks.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
Blobs aren't stored locally unless you used TinyUmbrella. Did you? Are you saying you have blobs saved in some way for 4.x?

No, I thought they were moved to the trash rather than deleted permanently. My mistake. Thanks for clarifying.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
I restored it, and it went a lot more smoothly than I expected. For example, I assumed that I'd have to re-enter all of my email account information, but iTunes put that back. Nice.

Memory freed up by at least 10 GB, but so far, no photos, videos, etc. appear to be missing. Is it possible that there was much crap taking up memory? If so, is that what was slowing down performance? So far, it does seem more responsive.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
I still use my first gen iPad on iOS 5 and I've noticed that little slow down as well, but mine is jailbroken and I have a lot of stuff on it. I did notice however that it sped up just a fraction when I deleted a few apps and movies off of it. Keeping about a third of the storage space open seems to make it move a little faster.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Still running my iPad 1 on iOS 4.3.3.

The major features in iOS 5 like Notification Center and iCloud really slow it down.

pod5g

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
Still running my iPad 1 on iOS 4.3.3.

The major features in iOS 5 like Notification Center and iCloud really slow it down.

That's odd. My friend has an original iPad on 5.1.1 and his is working just fine.

----------

And yes, he does use iCloud.

macking104

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2003
California, USA
Regarding freeing space: Deleting stuff in Settings/Safari/Advanced/Website Data helps... Sometimes Youtube and twitter data can be over 1mb

and Clear cookies might free up space

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
Regarding freeing space: Deleting stuff in Settings/Safari/Advanced/Website Data helps... Sometimes Youtube and twitter data can be over 1mb

and Clear cookies might free up space

I don't have my iPad with me right now, but I thought that Safari's clear cache feature was taken away in 5.x.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
That's odd. My friend has an original iPad on 5.1.1 and his is working just fine.

----------

And yes, he does use iCloud.

Well on my bros iPad 1 that runs iOS 5.1.1 it works fine but iOS 4.3 is way faster.

Tested loading up safari, opening apps, etc.

256MB RAM just doesn't cut it.

pod5g

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
Well on my bros iPad 1 that runs iOS 5.1.1 it works fine but iOS 4.3 is way faster.

Tested loading up safari, opening apps, etc.

256MB RAM just doesn't cut it.

Yeah, obviously. I'm not saying 5.1.1 is faster than 4.3.x, but its quite fast. And yes, 256 MB doesn't cut it AT ALL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.