Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c31083

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2013
This keeps coming up but it's not true. You don't pay taxes on the gift card. The taxes are paid as you USE the gift card. Ever go into a store to buy a gift card? notice that there's no taxes on it? That's why. Your taxes are counted against the value of the card.

Except in this case, the gift card is considered a prize and is subject to federal and possibly state income taxes.

From the contest rules:
Except as specifically included in the prize description, each winner is solely responsible for all applicable taxes, fees and surcharges associated with prize receipt and/or use.

Relevant: http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertw...gger-taxes-and-you-cant-pay-irs-in-doughnuts/

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
This is how you figure out who the 50 billionth winner is.

1) Sync all databases to one master iTunes every hour or so.
2) Query the table (Select * FROM iTunes WHERE ROWID='50000000000')
3) Email winner.

No, people could enter without a download (up to 25 times per day) by visiting Apple's website. The winner is the entry after the 49,999,999,999th download. Not necessarily the 50 billionth download.

Last edited by a moderator:

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
This keeps coming up but it's not true. You don't pay taxes on the gift card. The taxes are paid as you USE the gift card. Ever go into a store to buy a gift card? notice that there's no taxes on it? That's why. Your taxes are counted against the value of the card.

Thanks - learned something new today :)
I was always under the assumption that everything you 'win' over a certain amount of money is taxed at that ridiculous gambling tax rate.

----------

But can't that gift card be used to buy Apple hardware?

Nope

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Will he be allowed to sell it in $100 chunks on eBay? Who the heck would EVER spend that much for fart apps?

I think that cash would have been a better prize than a credit at the app store so big that it can never be used.

I know, you're playing(?) the usual idiot, but anyway... new HD movie releases cost $20, there are serveral apps and games in the app store within a price range from $0 to $200 or more, music albums average around $10, books are often more, so do the math (or have someone do it for you), all in all it shouldn't be THAT difficult to imagine that there are people who would be able to spend that money without a problem.

jcdesign

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2013
Apple homepage "thanks" image

So, had anyone noticed that the ipad image Apple is using for the "Thanks" graphic is the ipad mini design but that it is the size of a regular iPad? Is this an accidental preview of the new 5th generation iPad design to be announced later this year?

toaster64

macrumors regular
May 14, 2013
Just make sure you don't get caught. I'd think that these in-app purchases are legally binding, so just because you found a way to avoid payment, doesn't mean you don't owe them the money.

Worst case scenario, they arrest a different guy named Bob Boberson living in the Apple headquarters without a credit card tied into his account and seize the $10 I have in there from a gift card :rolleyes:

But I don't think it's possible to get caught since the IAP cracker doesn't notify and kind of server when it's used. And no, you cannot use it to buy more storage on Google Drive.

----------

Why should I even work? I can just walk into your house and steal $10K. Nothing wrong with that right? You don't need the money anyway.

No, because then I'd lose $10K. Nobody loses $10K from me buying Temple Run points, which I spend on upgrades for my guy. I'm just cheating in a game I don't want to have to play 10000 times to get the virtual items.

----------

I could probably spend the 10k within 1-2 weeks easily and have a very nice movie/tv/music collection. I say 1-2 weeks because I'm sure TWC would love me abusing their network in a 24 hour period.

Hey, you paid for it. That's called using, not abusing :)

moderngamenewb

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
To me, Apple has lots of music, books, audiobooks that I would spend money on. A bit more than I spend annually anyway, for the next twenty years. Videos and video rentals. And a bit of software as well.

I would have used it for some movies, some software (especially when 10.9 comes out), iTunes match, some music, and some TV seasons. Also some apps too.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Worst case scenario, they arrest a different guy named Bob Boberson living in the Apple headquarters without a credit card tied into his account and seize the $10 I have in there from a gift card :rolleyes:

Just saying: MacRumors should have your email address, and will have your IP address or addresses.

toaster64

macrumors regular
May 14, 2013
Just saying: MacRumors should have your email address, and will have your IP address or addresses.

Yeah, so? My AOL account I use for signing up for online stuff?

The worst they can do (and did) is tell me not to mention... you know what... despite the fact that MR itself had plenty of articles on it.

----------

I'll bet the gambling junkies had a good time spending $$$ on junk.

The irony :)

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I notice the countdown on the website was out. I refreshed the page a few times and the counter would shift a few million at a time up and down.

I wonder how the picked the exact person then?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.