Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In his interview with Politico earlier today, Apple CEO Tim Cook shared some additional details about the new Mac model that will be manufactured in the United States when it is announced later this year.

Cook said that not only will the machine be assembled in the U.S., many of the components will be sourced from suppliers in the country as well.
And Cook is also promoting a $100 million investment in domestic manufacturing, where the company will begin producing a new version of a current Mac product later this year.

"We're going very deep in this project," Cook said, noting that not only will the final product be manufactured in the U.S., but so will many of its components. Arizona, Texas, Illinois, Florida and Kentucky are among the states he mentioned as having parts and assembly located.
Cook announced in an interview with Brian Williams last year that an existing Mac line would be manufactured exclusively in the U.S. beginning in 2013.

Speculation had pointed to the Mac Pro, which is due for a significant update, though DigiTimes claimed it was Mac Mini production that would come back from overseas.

Article Link: Tim Cook Shares Details About New 'Made in USA' Mac Model

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
this is maybe like the first time apple / the ceo would discuss future product.
mac pro is long overdue for an update.

Steve.P.JobsFan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Columbus
I know a computer is just a computer, but I may cough up the extra $1000 to go over-budget and buy a Mac Pro if it means a large chunk [if not all] of my money goes into the U.S. economy.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
So, you heard it direct from the CEO.

No more "What would Steve do?" comments :p

On a sidenote, Cook's aged massively in the last 12 months!

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
If this is the mac pro then I think it is refreshing that Apple is still giving some thought to their pro market rather than focusing solely on their more lucrative iDevice markets.

I would not purchase a mac pro myself as I have no need for one, however, having said that - Here's to the pros - I really hope you guys get your updated mac pro sometime soon.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
If its made in the u.s they better offer something better than AppleCare!

Internaut

macrumors 65816
I like it. It is good that the US will retain the skills and manufacturing capability to do this. However, in terms of the money, I'm trying to figure out what advantage this gives Apple. A political advantage perhaps? Technology they can't export to certain countries where Apple equipment is manufactured?

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
And Cook is also promoting a $100 million investment in domestic manufacturing, where the company will begin producing a new version of a current Mac product later this year.

This is great news. Kudos Apple!

I hope that they get great PR and that other large companies will follow suit.

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

In his interview with Politico earlier today, Apple CEO Tim Cook shared some additional details about the new Mac model that will be manufactured in the United States when it is announced later this year.

Cook said that not only will the machine be assembled in the U.S., many of the components will be sourced from suppliers in the country as well.
Cook announced in an interview with Brian Williams last year that an existing Mac line would be manufactured exclusively in the U.S. beginning in 2013.

Speculation had pointed to the Mac Pro, which is due for a significant update, though DigiTimes claimed it was Mac Mini production that would come back from overseas.

Article Link: Tim Cook Shares Details About New 'Made in USA' Mac Model

It wiill help the American People with jobs but of course the price will be going up on all MAC Pros.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
The current Mac Pro has enormous margins, so taking a hit to margins by building them in the US would certainly be the safest bet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.