Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarkingGhost

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Atlanta+35 miles
I read the Apple article on syncing iTunes with multiple computers in the home via Home Sharing and it worked great. Both the iMac (10.7) and Windows (7) computers now have the exact same music libraries.

I know how to go into iTunes and make an MP3 of a track or album, but iTunes puts the MP3 tracks under the same album as the original AAC tracks. In Windows I can see these under 'Libraries, Music, iTunes and so forth, and then filter for extraction.

Unfortunately, even when I've removed the MP3 tracks, leaving the AAC tracks, iTunes continues to think the MP3 tracks are present. I was making MP3 versions of my music to import into a Nexus 7 tablet, but I do not know how to resolve the iTunes behavior, let alone remove the MP3 tracks from W7 in such a way iTunes no longer thinks they are present.

Ideas or thoughts on this one? I'm running the latest version of iTunes on both the iMac and Windows computers.

Jedi

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
I too would like to know how to get my iTunes music that is stored in high quality to MP3.

Come you guy`s are smart , :D , please help us out !!

Thanks in advance :)

Gary 

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I too would like to know how to get my iTunes music that is stored in high quality to MP3.

Come you guy`s are smart , :D , please help us out !!

Thanks in advance :)

Gary 

iTunes -> Preferences -> Import Settings -> MP3 Encoder.
Select the songs you want to convert -> File Menu -> Create new version -> Create MP3 version.

BarkingGhost

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Atlanta+35 miles
I know how to create MP3s of tracks and albums. I want to segregate them. What's the [Apple] logic of having two instances of the same track and not knowing which is which? Also, how would one undo such a creation without simply deleting them (tried to, but iTunes still thinks they exist)?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I know how to create MP3s of tracks and albums. I want to segregate them. What's the [Apple] logic of having two instances of the same track and not knowing which is which? Also, how would one undo such a creation without simply deleting them (tried to, but iTunes still thinks they exist)?

To find all MP3 files: Make a smart playlist with criteria "Kind is MPEG audio file". That's it. What's Apple's logic? Well, _you_ created the second track :D

I wonder how you deleted these files. The simple way is: Select the song in iTunes, backspace, click Ok on "Are you sure", then "move to trash".

BarkingGhost

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Atlanta+35 miles
I explained my logic in the original post (ahem, to make MP3 copies to export onto a non-iOS device). I know how to find the MP3 files outside of iTunes, but when I remove them (after the export) iTunes thinks they still exist.

Also, I questioned Apple's logic in iTunes the allowance of making multi-formats of tracks and then placing them in the same Album folder with no natural distinction between them. One had to look at the Get Info (for each track) to determine which is which in iTunes.

I know what I'm doing, but I'm not sure of Apple's intentions. Maybe its just to discourage making MP3 files from the exist AAC library.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I explained my logic in the original post (ahem, to make MP3 copies to export onto a non-iOS device). I know how to find the MP3 files outside of iTunes, but when I remove them (after the export) iTunes thinks they still exist.

Also, I questioned Apple's logic in iTunes the allowance of making multi-formats of tracks and then placing them in the same Album folder with no natural distinction between them. One had to look at the Get Info (for each track) to determine which is which in iTunes.

I know what I'm doing, but I'm not sure of Apple's intentions. Maybe its just to discourage making MP3 files from the exist AAC library.

1. You are removing it outside of iTunes. You should remove using iTunes.

2. Use smart playlist to sort them, as already described. It takes few seconds to setup a MP3 and AAC smart playlist.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
If removal is your goal, a playlist won't help since you can't delete from a smart playlist at all. And deleting from a regular playlist just takes it out of the playlist

Just go to the main browser in iTunes, add the Kind column and sort on it. Select all the mp3s using a click and shift-click to select the range, delete. And when it asks if it should delete them from the disc, say yes. Not sure about Win7, but on the Mac it doesn't actually delete them, it moves them to the trash. So you could recover them to other folders if that is a goal.

I agree it is annoying that iTunes files them in the same folder on the disc. I maintain a lossless version of my ripped discs, and any sort of separating is a major pain. Although, I don't really have a solution that would help. It can't sort them in 2-dimensional folders every way we want. Right now we are considering file type, but tomorrow it would be nice to copy a playlist to a USB stick or something. Just need to learn how to do all this in iTunes is the real answer.

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
If removal is your goal, a playlist won't help since you can't delete from a smart playlist at all. And deleting from a regular playlist just takes it out of the playlist

Option-backspace deletes files that are in a smart playlist.

And if you created mp3 files to copy them elsewhere, and want to delete them immediately afterwards, they are probably all in the "Recently added" playlist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.