Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

hauntingmelissa.png
Haunting Melissa, from Hooked Media Digital and "The Ring" producer Neil Edelstein, is an app that aims to deliver movies on mobile devices in an entirely new way.

Much like a TV show on iTunes, the film is broken up into segments that can be unlocked by sharing a user's viewing experience on Facebook, purchasing each episode within the app for $1.99 or paying $6.99 to $14.99 for the entire film. In an interview with Bloomberg, Edelstein declined to comment on how many episodes would be available.

Edelstein also said that Hooked Media Digital wanted to find a way to present movies and TV on mobile devices as studios have struggled to account for the rise of mobile video.
"The way stories are consumed has changed, so we set out to alter how stories are told," said Neal Edelstein, founder of Hooked Digital Media, in an interview. "It's terrifying to studios the drain that these devices have placed on the industry, so we have to find a new way to harness them."
Although the film could have been released in Apple's iTunes Store, providing it through an app gives Hooked Digital Media greater control over the way the content is delivered. It also gives the studio the ability to add additional story elements at any time, providing users with a unique film viewing experience. In 2011, "The Godfather" director Francis Ford Coppola experimented with similar technology in theaters.

Haunting Melissa is a universal app that is available for free in the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Haunting Melissa' App Brings Episodic Movie Exclusively to iPhone and iPad

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
"silent...silent...silent...SUDDENLY LOUD DRUMS AND VIOLIN STRINGS....NOISES OF JET ENGINES RISING....OFF KEY PIANO PLAYING...SCREAMING...silent...silent...silent..." -every horror movie in the past 10 years

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Someone needs to give horror movie genre a kick in the pants, by making a horror movie that doesn't look like what horror movies have come to look like.

...a character that's a sociopath, who just casually, effortlessly kills with complete indifference, in locations and scenes where you'd never expect to see such a thing happen, without reason, without being a comicky caricature of evil villainy, would be truly scary.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
It also gives the studio the ability to add additional story elements at any time, providing users with a unique film viewing experience.
I don't want a unique experience. I want the director's experience.
Technology adds nothing to art. Two thousand years ago, I could tell you a story, and at any point during the story I could stop, and ask, "Now, do you want the hero to be kidnapped, or not?" But that would, of course, have ruined the story. Part of the experience of being entertained is sitting back and plugging into someone else's vision. The fact of the matter is, since the beginning of time, you could buy a Picasso and change the colors. That's trivial. But you don't because you're buying a piece of Picasso's ****ing soul. That's the definition of art: Art is one person's ego trip.
- Penn Jillette

Resseh

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2012
Someone needs to give horror movie genre a kick in the pants, by making a horror movie that doesn't look like what horror movies have come to look like.

...a character that's a sociopath, who just casually, effortlessly kills with complete indifference, in locations and scenes where you'd never expect to see such a thing happen, without reason, without being a comicky caricature of evil villainy, would be truly scary.

Like Dexter?

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I don't want a unique experience. I want the director's experience.

Re: your quote - on the one hand yes, on the other hand Mass Effect. If the whole experience is designed around it then interactive storytelling where the story can be actively varied can be a great thing.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Because I love watching such engrossing and atmospheric films on my iOS devices, when I have a 55" Bravia, Bluray player and 5.1 system.

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
cool idea, shame it's a horror film
i'll check back when they have some interesting show/film on

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Like Dexter?

Sort of... But even Dexter is very methodical and very much "into" his killing, and endears & makes the audience feel safe because he only goes after other villains.

Remove those aspects, someone who just kills randomly, indiscriminately, broad daylight, city streets, you name it, because the opportunity presents itself and the idea strikes them, without any provocation or ideology or motive to figure out and track. Just, an unassuming character who wanders through the world at ease, leaving eddies of chaos in their wake because they can and it means absolutely nothing but a moments enjoyment to them.

Haven't seen cabin in the woods. I sort of lost interest in the horror genre when it all turned into supernatural quackery and shaky cameras in the dark and the aforementioned soundtracks.

The war scene in the beethoven bio "Immortal Beloved" was more horrific than any of that. ...and a pretty great movie too.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Re: your quote - on the one hand yes, on the other hand Mass Effect. If the whole experience is designed around it then interactive storytelling where the story can be actively varied can be a great thing.
If it really was _designed_ around interaction, and that's part of the director's vision, fine.
Seems they're talking more about slapped-on content or full vs. abridged versions.

jephrey

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2005
Choose your own adventure movies. Cool idea. Niche, but cool idea. Even a mass choose your own adventure would be cool where the posts and comments by watchers would affect (but maybe not fully decide the outcome of) the next episode(s) and entire show. It'll be interesting to see how this particular distribution method works out.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Sort of... But even Dexter is very methodical and very much "into" his killing, and endears & makes the audience feel safe because he only goes after other villains.

Remove those aspects, someone who just kills randomly, indiscriminately, broad daylight, city streets, you name it, because the opportunity presents itself and the idea strikes them, without any provocation or ideology or motive to figure out and track. Just, an unassuming character who wanders through the world at ease, leaving eddies of chaos in their wake because they can and it means absolutely nothing but a moments enjoyment to them.

Haven't seen cabin in the woods. I sort of lost interest in the horror genre when it all turned into supernatural quackery and shaky cameras in the dark and the aforementioned soundtracks.

The war scene in the beethoven bio "Immortal Beloved" was more horrific than any of that. ...and a pretty great movie too.

You really should see Cabin in the Woods.

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
Have you watched The Cabin in the Woods?

Exactly. This movie kind of gave me a little hope when it comes to the Horror Genre. Really loved where Whedon went with it.

As a side note...for those who like good ole' fashioned blood and gore and being flat out shocked...it's older now, but the remake of The Hills Have Eyes, unrated version, surprised me in some ways too on what could be done for shock value even in a genre that has been beaten to death over and over again.

*Edit* - Avoid the THHE 2, it follows the stereotype of sequels....echhh

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Just, an unassuming character who wanders through the world at ease, leaving eddies of chaos in their wake because they can and it means absolutely nothing but a moments enjoyment to them.
Ah, The Pretender, just evil.
Haven't seen cabin in the woods. I sort of lost interest in the horror genre
Then make it the last horror film you ever see. It really does kinda bring the whole genre to an end.

nexusrule

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012

Remove those aspects, someone who just kills randomly, indiscriminately, broad daylight, city streets, you name it, because the opportunity presents itself and the idea strikes them, without any provocation or ideology or motive to figure out and track.

If the lead character of a story hasn't a background and a strong reason that drives his actions, everything will look false and the viewers won't be able to empathize at all. A series of random events is not a story, a story has a structure. The problem with horror is simply that it became a niche genre for teens and so plot and characters s**ks.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV

Anton Chigurh

"No Country for Old Men"

Of course, there is that coin flip...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.