Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Corning yesterday announced (via Engadget) the launch of its latest glass substrate for LCD and OLED displays, Lotus XT Glass. While Corning is famous for its Gorilla Glass used by Apple and other device manufacturers to provide durable covers for their displays, substrate glass like Lotus Glass is used within the displays themselves to support the transistors and other components necessary for the displays to function.

corning_lotus_xt.jpg
The Corning Lotus Glass platform enables organic light-emitting diode (OLED) displays and liquid crystal displays (LCD) that use either low-temperature poly-silicon (LTPS) or oxide thin-film transistor (TFT) backplanes. The result is an energy-efficient, immersive display device that features high resolution, fast response times, and bright picture quality.
Lotus XT Glass, an improved version of the original Lotus Glass announced in late 2011, offers improved thermal characteristics and stability to help increase efficiency and yield during display production. Lotus XT Glass is available in a variety of thicknesses ranging from 0.4 to 0.7 mm to support various applications.

In an introductory video, Corning vice president John Bayne outlines how Lotus XT Glass will enable better displays with improved yields:
Our customers, the panel makers, are basically making thin-film transistors and aligning those transistors with liquid crystal material and a color filter piece of glass. Everything has to line up just right to work.

The distance features move during processing is called total pitch. And if you measure that from sheet to sheet, it's called total pitch variation. If panel makers can minimize total pitch variation, they can realize higher manufacturing yields and lower costs. In addition, they can design devices that have higher aperture ratios which are brighter and use less power.
It will still take some time for display manufacturers to adopt Lotus Glass XT for use in their processes and for those panels to make their way into finished products, but with Lotus Glass XT offering up to 75% better performance in total pitch variation than the original version, it seems likely that manufacturers will move quickly to adopt the product.

Article Link: Corning Announces 'Lotus XT' Substrate Glass for Brighter, Cheaper Mobile Displays

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
I happily wait the optical performance of Museum Glass used on laptops, smartphones and iMacs.

http://www.tru-vue.com/Tru-Vue/Products/33/

The TruVue visual quality of the glass is simply astounding but the surface is fragile and prone to loosing its characteristics when touched. Basically, Gloss with almost 0 reflection.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Just a reminded Corning would not have been around now if it wasn't for Steve Jobs.

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Great to see a "glass" related article about Apple... Too much Google glass news lately... :p

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
If it can make devices lighter and thinner, we know that Apple will adopt it. I'd prefer something shatterproof.

This, if I understand correctly, isn't the outside glass.that is what needs to be shatterproof. Or at least very strongly shatter resistant.

If this makes it lighter, thinner, less glare, better colors and possible to use in sunlight, then I don't care if apple waits until next march to release anything new to give time for mass production. Heck forgot the first two and I'll still wait

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
Lotus glass? Fantastic!

I have driven a Lotus and they are fast and more importantly, they corner brilliantly. I hope the next iPhone comes with a standard transmission, as I hate sequential shift.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Just in time to miss this round of iPhone's/iPad's. Good one.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Apple has been known to front research costs via early buys in order to get exclusive access to something. It's possible that this wasn't announced until it had be tested in a display or two with someone like Sharp and they are now preparing to receive essentially every unit that can be made so they can produce screens for the fall releases. Which despite rumors is likely when they were always to happen.

Heck, Apple could have known about this for a while, including the time table, and that could be a factor with the iOS release to moving the iPads to the fall.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Lotus glass? Fantastic!

I have driven a Lotus and they are fast and more importantly, they corner brilliantly. I hope the next iPhone comes with a standard transmission, as I hate sequential shift.

You've driven a flower? Impressive!

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I've read the iPhone 5 doesn't use the Gorilla glass and looking at the front of mine I can well believe it! Although other story's state it does but no proof exists either way. So I do hope Apple use this new glass at the very least in its new products. Although we also have this sapphire glass rumour too?

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Every component slowly but surely marches forward, sometimes they take a bunch of components with them , this glass is one of those little game changers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.