Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Junrowson

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2013
I am one of the recipients

Hi, I am Jun, 20 and I'm one of the recipients.

My clue is that, Apple always puts design in the first place, tech in second. So, even if you are not experienced in programming or techy, as long as you are presenting urself differently from most of the developers, you might have a big chance. I mean, putting ourself in Apple's staff shoe, there might have thousands or ten of thousands who applied for this scholarship, they will of course judge the app by it's cover and if it's nice, they will only then look through the content.

Well, I mean no offense to those who didnt got it, it's just my experience and opinion from my senior.Honestly, I wasn't quite a techy guy, i have only 1 year experience in Obj-C. For those who won it, congrats, and for those who failed, dont give up!

Last edited by a moderator:

teagls

macrumors regular
May 16, 2013
I got accepted. Besides some other things I did in the app I made a mini-game and viewer with Sc2 models. Wrote an entire engine in obj-c and then OpenGL ES 2.0 with skeletal animation and particle shaders.

Attachments

• app2.png
    app2.png
    110.8 KB · Views: 95
  • app1.png
    app1.png
    253.6 KB · Views: 126

applepie555

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2012
Do you think they will keep the same requirement of making an app about you next year? It make sense as they get to know about you, but if they keep it, everyone will have already made their apps before they even announce WWDC..

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Mod Note: Some posters in this thread continue to ignore the rules. Please be sure to review this previous warning from annk:

ADMIN NOTE:

A lot of posts have been deleted from this thread - please take a look at our Forum Rules, especially the section on self-promotion, and the Guidelines for Software Developers.

You're welcome to create a thread in the appropriate forum about your app, and of course to continue to discuss here on a general level. It's fine to post a screenshot here, if it's just to display your work; just keep our dev guidelines in mind.

The posts about creating and directing our member traffic to another site have been deleted, as per our rules.

If you have any questions about the moderation done in this thread, please don't post here, but direct your comments via the Contact Us form.

Good luck to everyone who has applied for a scholarship! I hope we see some winners on MacRumors! :)

If members continue to flaunt the rules, we may have to close this thread and that's something we'd rather not do.

P.S. Congratulations to those students who submissions were accepted. We wish you good luck!

vanillegipfel

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2013
Hello @all,

I've been also picked for the schoolarship at this years wwdc. As i'm based in austria i don't know anyone attending the wwdc and as english isn't my foreign language, i'm a bit scared that i get lost at the wwdc. Did anybody already joined a wwdc? How are things going there?

Best regards,
Lukas

macdude3

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
@Monster –*Yeah, I feel your pain. I am a pretty well accomplished programmer, but made my submission in the unity game engine. Should have just told us game engines were not allowed – would have saved us a lot of work for nothing. Did anyone who got accepted use a game engine like unity or UDK?

ejv

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2013
Missouri, USA
Hey man, I would be up for splitting a room or something to save costs, if possible. I'm 19 and I'm also probably gonna be going solo. Send me a private message and I can email you or something to figure out some details possibly?

ALSO: For those wondering, my email came in at 8PM EDT.

I'm 18 and I too will most likely be going solo. I might be able to split a room with you guys. I am trying to figure out all my options, and so sharing a hotel is definitely on the table. Send me a pm and let me know what you guys are doing!

wayward-yeah

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2013
High school senior here, looks like I'm going too.

Which hotels are you booking? Are there any cheap, but good ones out there?

Apple has special convention pricing for hotels near the conference, which they talk about here: https://developer.apple.com/wwdc/more/
I managed to get a pretty good deal by San Francisco standards—which is to say, not cheap at all, but pretty close to the convention center.

techietotoro

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2013
Anybody want to meet up the on the Sunday before the conference?

Hi guys,

To those of you that were lucky enough to be accepted for the scholarship, do you all want to meet up the day before the conference starts? Since we probably have no friends there at all, it might be nice to get to know each other beforehand.

Maybe we should start a google group or something for the student acceptees?

~techietotoro

JohnnyLegend

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2013
Winning App Screenshots

I'd love to see screenshots/videos of the fellow winning applications. This isn't to boast or degrade anybody but to see the competition and give a bar to judge against for those who compete next year.

Here is a video of the app and screenshots have been attached (my private contact info has been hidden):

Video
[LINK REMOVED]

Note: Any lag is from running a retina simulator and recording the screen at the same time. Also, the stars shift and move in parallax with the devices accelerometer.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
  • 3.png
    3.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 109
  • 4.png
    4.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 94
  • 5.png
    5.png
    1 MB · Views: 87
  • 6.png
    6.png
    1 MB · Views: 107

gapl

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2013
I'm 21, coming all the way from Slovenia :) It'd be really great to meet before the WWDC.

PS: Am I really the oldest one here? I feel like a grandpa :)

JohnnyLegend

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2013
I'm 21, coming all the way from Slovenia :) It'd be really great to meet before the WWDC.

PS: Am I really the oldest one here? I feel like a grandpa :)

I'd love to see your submission and look forward to meeting you hopefully.

P.S. You're not the oldest, I'm 25. :)

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Once more:

Please see the admin note here, and the mod reminder several posts back. Some posts since then have been deleted.

Posting links driving traffic to another site is not permitted. Screenshots to show your app in this forum are fine, as per the Guidelines for Software Developers, which you'll find a link to in the Forum Rules
you all read and accepted as part of your registration processes.

Congrats to those of you who got in this time, and good luck next time to the others!

Last edited:

gapl

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2013
I'd love to see your submission and look forward to meeting you hopefully.

P.S. You're not the oldest, I'm 25. :)

Eh, screenshots don't really do it justice, you've got to see it in action :)

Anyone in SF already and wanna meet up over the weekend?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.