Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Have just purchased my first iPad mini and I am worried about what appears to an area in the bottom corner that looks like light not being uniform around the edge of the screen.
Is this normal? I have the screen on full brightness with a black background to show the effect.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 241

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Looks like you have backlight bleeding. If it annoys you then I'd go back and do an exchange.

azure247

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
All ipads have backlight bleeding. Even my 2012 imac has backlight bleeding and my ipad 3.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Thanks but I found a couple of dead pixels also so I'm taking it back.
This is my second one too after finding dust in the camera and screen when I inspected the first in-store.
After dumping Samsung for displays my interest in apple hardware is waning and the galaxy S4 is looking more tempting.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Thanks but I found a couple of dead pixels also so I'm taking it back.
This is my second one too after finding dust in the camera and screen when I inspected the first in-store.
After dumping Samsung for displays my interest in apple hardware is waning and the galaxy S4 is looking more tempting.

I went through 3 iPad minis that had dust under the glass. Seems to be a common problem. Fingers crossed that my current mini doesn't somehow develop dust under the glass later. Good luck with your search. Also, the other commenter is incorrect. My current mini has no backlight bleeding whatsoever - and I am picky.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Just swapped to my third mini and this has even worse lightbleed and about 6-7 stuck pixels.
The genius even had the audacity to say it was the adhesive causing the lightbleed.
Apple have said they're happy to swap but I'm getting out while he going is good, something really bad is happening within apple.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
I went in to the apple store for a refund but the genius convinced me to try one more.
Fortunately the next one has no light bleed or dead/stuck pixels so I went for that one.
When you advertise yourself as selling the premium brand using the best materials then do it.
I can see myself jumping off the apple coach soon as I feel people are seeing through the gloss and realising they are not what they seem.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I went in to the apple store for a refund but the genius convinced me to try one more.
Fortunately the next one has no light bleed or dead/stuck pixels so I went for that one.
When you advertise yourself as selling the premium brand using the best materials then do it.
I can see myself jumping off the apple coach soon as I feel people are seeing through the gloss and realising they are not what they seem.

It's good that you got a new iPad that lives up to your expectations finally, sorry to hear of your struggles. Do know that every electronics company can't be perfect, you just had a case of bad luck. I'm sure your future iDevices won't have any problems.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a perfect product and due to the very large amounts of units, Apple have to manufacture, I'm sure they consider many of these issues as acceptable. If they didn't, they'd have trouble manufacturing so many.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
It's good that you got a new iPad that lives up to your expectations finally, sorry to hear of your struggles. Do know that every electronics company can't be perfect, you just had a case of bad luck. I'm sure your future iDevices won't have any problems.

How many iPads would Apple sell if Jony Ive came on the announcement and said..."the iPad 4, it is only slightly better than the last and is being released with even less quality control than any previous iPad!"

Seriously, Apple "sells" the iPad and other products as the top of the line, premium product, so I think the OP has some right to refuse a substandard product if they so deem it to be one!

Note: sorry for my tone, I read your quoted line as a sarcastic comment :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.