Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaptHenryMorgan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
The District
Me? I wouldn't tell a soul until I had the family lawyers and accountants lined up and notified with signed NDAs. Take the lump of probably $380 mil, give myself 10 mil in play money, put the rest into diverse interest bearing funds, stocks, whatever my family accountant suggests and put him on my payroll. A million to my 10 or so closest friends and that's all they get for the rest of my life. Live off the interest and keep working.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'd buy up all Dell shares and give the money back to the shareholders.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'd pay off my student loans, finish my current project at work. Then quit my job and move to Hawaii.

It's so nice to dream sometimes. :p

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I'd do pretty much what the op posted except for the part about continuing to work and adding the part where I **** my pants.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Probably freak out a bit.

It's a lot of money, that would completely change your worldview.

I'd pursue whatever interest I had, but otherwise keep it modest. The first thing I'd do however is clear any debts my parents had and cover all my siblings tuition fees.

It's not really money I'd have earned though, so just going out and buying my dream car on a whim or something would just feel a bit hollow.

CaptHenryMorgan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
The District
I'd do pretty much what the op posted except for the part about continuing to work and adding the part where I **** my pants.

Nah, I gotta keep working, or go back to school or something that gets me out of the house and keeps my brain exercising. I love what I do, but it's not a staff job. I get to tell stories and create things, so I would be able to do that on a bigger scale without worrying about money. True mental freedom.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Nah, I gotta keep working, or go back to school or something that gets me out of the house and keeps my brain exercising. I love what I do, but it's not a staff job. I get to tell stories and create things, so I would be able to do that on a bigger scale without worrying about money. True mental freedom.

Right. I'd quit my job, and after moving to Hawaii, I'd still find something to do. Maybe go back to school and learn a new field of science or something. I wouldn't want to be idle, doing nothing at all. Regardless, I'd want to find something fun and interesting to do.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

I would do the same thing. Not tell a single soul besides immediate family. Take some money out to play with, travel the world and then get back to my normal life. Probably wouldn't continue to work, but definitely stay in school and learn what I want to spend my time on.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I'd donate a huge amount of it to all kinds of needy people, especially those in other countries with deformities that I see posted on Reddit all the time.

I'd pay off the last of my student loans and buy myself a house somewhere and buy a few franchises of stores I like (I've always wanted an Auntie Annes franchise).

I'd also travel to some places and go to Gnomon school.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
We can all speculate, but until it happens we have no way of knowing. Personally, if I had to guess, I'd say the word that sums it up would be 'badly'. I'd probably spend it on all manner of stupid crap just because I could. It would be a wild ride though.

CaptHenryMorgan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
The District
We can all speculate, but until it happens we have no way of knowing. Personally, if I had to guess, I'd say the word that sums it up would be 'badly'. I'd probably spend it on all manner of stupid crap just because I could. It would be a wild ride though.

So, hookers and coke then?

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Design a gorgeous yet modest home ($500k or so).

Buy an apartment/condo in Tokyo or Kobe.

Coupla new cars.

Build a little warehouse out in the woods and stock it with the choicest of choice muscle cars.

Pay off student loans.

Quit job.

Travel for a good long while.

Get a PhD.

Enjoy life.

SMDBill

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2013
I'd leave my job and spend my time volunteering and making strategic donations to individuals I find who are very much in need. It would become my full time job to help others who may not have been as fortunate in life. No bigger joys in life than family and helping others, at least for me.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I would take the $380 million lump sum payment. I would keep about $5 million for my family and the rest I would set up in a charitable foundation.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
No debts except for my house and a little bit left on the car, so I'd pay those off, then move out of this house into a dream house for us. In our world, a dream house is about 4000-5000 square feet max, including studios for each of us. After that, I'd make sure my son's future education was completely covered. Maybe a cabin up in the mountains. I freelance in the career that I love, so I would probably still do jobs here and there, but only if they interested me...and I'd probably dump my own money into them to make them extra spectacular.

No interest in a garage full of exotic cars. No interest in planes. No interest in having a gigantic plot of land. I wouldn't want anything i had to really manage, or even a person I had to manage. So after the basics were taken care of and we were funded for the rest of our life, I think the rest of it would go to help others.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I'll tell you what I'd do man. Two chicks at the same time, man. I think if I were a millionaire I could hook that up too cause chicks dig dudes with money.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Probably succumb to some psychological disorder out of paranoia that everyone who speaks to me is just interested in my money.

Remember though, 80% of lottery winners go broke because 100% of lottery players are idiots ;) money earned is better than money won

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I'll tell you what I'd do man. Two chicks at the same time, man. I think if I were a millionaire I could hook that up too cause chicks dig dudes with money.

hahaha...I can't believe I forgot to put that quote in.

Remember though, 80% of lottery winners go broke because 100% of lottery players are idiots ;) money earned is better than money won

I'd like to think that wouldn't happen to me, since I'm not interested in big flashy symbols of richness.

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
1. big black body guard. (two of them)
2. attorney
3. financial advisor
4. 747
5. hookers
6. blow

in that order (and since its my birthday, i think ill play the lotto!)

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008

speak for yourself, i hate people with that arrogant attitude that they are better than people who play the lottery.

i only play 2-3 times a year when the jackpot gets huge, sorry but id rather lose $2 in an attempt to win $600,000,000 and never have to work another day in my life and be "stupid" than to be the holier than though miser who is too cheap to spend $2 who is guaranteed to have to go to work the next day for the next 40 years.

even if i lose, the excitement and fun is worth the two lousy bucks.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
speak for yourself, i hate people with that arrogant attitude that they are better than people who play the lottery.

i only play 2-3 times a year when the jackpot gets huge, sorry but id rather lose $2 in an attempt to win $600,000,000 and never have to work another day in my life and be "stupid" than to be the holier than though miser who is too cheap to spend $2 who is guaranteed to have to go to work the next day for the next 40 years.

even if i lose, the excitement and fun is worth the two lousy bucks.

Sorry, I'm not so desperate for a handout to never have to raise a finger in life again :rolleyes: The smart millionaires keep working, there's a thing as self-actualization.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.