Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xFU3Lx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2005
So I wake up this morning and see that my Powerbook isn't asleep like it should be, screen saver is locked, so I go over and try to wake it up. Nothing. Then I notice a huge puddle covering my desk. Basically my PB was sitting in it. Its an odorless liquid(seems to be water) I immediately unplug everything from it and take the battery out and begin cleaning it off. Take off the door to the RAM compartment, a bit of moisture around the edges, nothing inside. keyboard and top aren't wet. Screen has a bit of splatter on it.

I gave it a bit of time to dry and tried to turn it on, and got loud fans and nothing else. Screen stay black. Right now its sitting in the sun and drying a bit if it got inside.

Help! Why isn't it booting up? :confused:

I don 't know what the liquid could be either. The only thing on my desk thats a possibility is my Axe can, which is still intact, no leaks. An the liquid doesn't smell like Axe. :(

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Seminal fluid from a wet dream?

Just kidding. Is your roof leaking, or do you have rowdy housemates?

xFU3Lx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2005
Lacero said:
Seminal fluid from a wet dream?

Just kidding. Is your roof leaking, or do you have rowdy housemates?
I checked the ceiling, no leaks. Only one guy there last night and he was in bed. I know he didn't spill anything on it either.

xFU3Lx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2005
Daveway said:
Does it turn on? If it doesn't there's a high likelinhood that it shorted out.

Last time I checked, PBs didn't have blatters. Do you have any pets?
No pets. The only possibility is that Axe can, and there are no leaks on it. But there were those splatter spots on the screen looking like they came from the can. The lid was on though...

Its obviously getting power, and the screen and stuff was working before I turned it off. When I press the power button, I hear fans. And the power lights and stuff. But no screen action.

xFU3Lx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2005
funkychunkz said:
If it from the computer it's either the battery, or the screen (liquid crystal).
Unless you had your laptop modded and it's liquide cooled ;) .
Battery works. Its not that. The screen was showing a picture when I woke up, it was my screen saver, just the image was stuck.

And condensation, I don't think so. The desk was the only place that was wet. And there was ALOT of this liquid.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
xFU3Lx said:
The desk was the only place that was wet. And there was ALOT of this liquid.

Has your PB surfed into the Apple Store lately? If so, it was probably drooling over the idea of having an iPod nano to sync to ...

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Somebody must have spilled something by accident, tried to clean it up - woke the PB, and left. After time as PB went to Screen Saver mode, liquid has gotten inside and shorted your PB.
Do you by any chance walk in sleep?

xFU3Lx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2005
Mac_Freak said:
Somebody must have spilled something by accident, tied to clean it up - woke the PB, and left. After time as PB went to Screen Saver mode, liquid has gotten inside and shorted your PB.
Do you by any chance walk in sleep?
Haha, nope, no sleep walking here. My dad thinks someone came into my apartment and spilled something on it. Which I'm starting to believe.

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
xFU3Lx said:
Haha, nope, no sleep walking here. My dad thinks someone came into my apartment and spilled something on it. Which I'm starting to believe.

Hmm you don't have any enemies do you? ; :confused: ;)

That really sucks though I hope you get it resolved.

xFU3Lx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2005
AoWolf said:
Hmm you don't have any enemies do you? ; :confused: ;)

That really sucks though I hope you get it resolved.
No one that I can think of.

xFU3Lx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2005
SO what does it mean when only the fans come on when I hit the power button?

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
set it out under the sun, disassembled so that the water can evaporate from the circuit boards and when it's dry, try it again. I took my camcorder on a vacation and used it for 6 hours in pouring rain, getting water under the LCD and eventually the whole thing stopped working. I freaked out but let it dry for the next few days and all the functions returned to normal.

xFU3Lx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2005
topicolo said:
set it out under the sun, disassembled so that the water can evaporate from the circuit boards and when it's dry, try it again. I took my camcorder on a vacation and used it for 6 hours in pouring rain, getting water under the LCD and eventually the whole thing stopped working. I freaked out but let it dry for the next few days and all the functions returned to normal.
I lost all my links. Wheres an online guide for taking it apart?

xFU3Lx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2005
My roommate thinks I fried the logic board since it won't boot up. How much is this **** gonna cost me? :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.