Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
This could be the wrong forum for this thread. If so, please forgive me and don't tear my head off. Also, if MacRumors doesn't support Hackintoshes, my apologies. It doesn't say anywhere that it doesn't support it.

Well, since I'm too cheap to buy an actual, non-PowerPC Mac and I am not going to Hackintosh my HP Envy (because it's new and still under warranty and I hear Hackintoshes aren't great under AMD processors) I've been looking for a cheap, older Intel Core 2 Duo PC laptop to use as a Hackintosh.

I don't know if my Dell Latitude D505 (1.3GHz Intel Celeron) can be Hackintoshed. I'd probably use my HP netbook (1.6GHz Intel Atom) as a Hackintosh machine but the screen is terribly destroyed.

What I want a Hackintosh for? I want something that can run the latest version of iMovie, whatever version that might be. I'm not worried about the latest version of Mac OS X or having something that's extremely powerful.

For this, what would be the perfect PC laptop for this? I have a cap of $150, and even still, since I still don't have a job (I'm a student) this would take a long time for me to save.

I understand that some laptops are better than others for Hackintosh, so that's why I'm asking this question.

Last edited:

jonathan.c

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2013
Canada
If your maximum budget is $150, I would suggest to not think about it until you have a bit more saved.

That being said, the cheapest working Hackintosh would run you about $400 (and that's a custom desktop). You could get cheaper hardware and run older versions of Mac OS, but the installation process would be hell and might not even work.

For more information, visit tonymacx86, they are a dedicated Hackintosh website/community.

Good luck! :)

jekyl

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
Mid-Michigan
If your maximum budget is $150, I would suggest to not think about it until you have a bit more saved.

That being said, the cheapest working Hackintosh would run you about $400 (and that's a custom desktop). You could get cheaper hardware and run older versions of Mac OS, but the installation process would be hell and might not even work.

For more information, visit tonymacx86, they are a dedicated Hackintosh website/community.

Good luck! :)

Isn't that pretty much into the area for a Mac Mini? Given the choice I'd go that way.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I'm pretty sure I can get an Intel Core 2 Duo or Intel Core Duo laptop for pretty cheap. I got a couple of Pentium 4 PC's for $35 and free respectively. But I'm just not sure which laptop would be great for Hackintosh. But nevertheless, I'll check out the linked website anyways.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
There is a lot more to a hackintosh than just the CPU. Motherboard chipset, GPU, sound, etc all play a big part.

Yes, I know that. I was asking what the perfect Intel Core 2 Duo laptop would be for this. I was using Intel Core 2 Duo as a generalization of machines that all run with Intel Core Duos or Intel Core 2 Duos.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Take a look at the HCL. http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.8.2/Portables

This list is not all inclusive just what people have bothered to report. I would also find those in your price range then Google there specific model number along with OSX86, Tonymac, or Insanelymac in the keywords. Along with Mountain Lion and/or 10.8.

Then you'll eventually come across someone with your specific laptop along with install options to choose.

Remember when doing OS X updates to download and run the manual installer. Then run the installers for all the hacks needed for your computer. This only really applies to actual OS X updates not security updates and other side updates.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Take a look at the HCL. http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.8.2/Portables

This list is not all inclusive just what people have bothered to report. I would also find those in your price range then Google there specific model number along with OSX86, Tonymac, or Insanelymac in the keywords. Along with Mountain Lion and/or 10.8.

Then you'll eventually come across someone with your specific laptop along with install options to choose.

Remember when doing OS X updates to download and run the manual installer. Then run the installers for all the hacks needed for your computer. This only really applies to actual OS X updates not security updates and other side updates.

Hey, thanks for this. I was kinda looking for something like this and other people just haven't been able to show me a link to a page like this or tell me what kinds of machines would be good for this purpose.

I didn't think that choosing a Hackintosh machine would be so difficult. I did get Mac OS X 10.6 to run on my HP Envy under VMware but the animations were choppy and there were some bugs, probably because my HP Envy has an AMD A10 processor and not an Intel Core i7 and Mac OS X wasn't made to run on AMD processors. The virtualization of VMware kinda sucked too, it made Mac OS X think I was running a 5.20GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Nonetheless, it still worked, but I won't do it again. It wasn't easy to find a Hackintosh OS that would run on an AMD processor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.