Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
And it will only continue to 100% after I turn the charger off and then on again. As far as I remember, it happens every time it's being charged (my mom's the one using it, and she's a very light user). Is this a defect, or a known problem for all iPads/minis? Or it is some kind of mechanism that I didn't know about?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
And it will only continue to 100% after I turn the charger off and then on again. As far as I remember, it happens every time it's being charged (my mom's the one using it, and she's a very light user). Is this a defect, or a known problem for all iPads/minis? Or it is some kind of mechanism that I didn't know about?

Sounds like possible software issues. It does slow down at about 90% but if you leave it off and let it keep charging it should get all the way up to 100%.
I'd make sure all her stuff is copied to computer, run iCloud backup and when google how to do a DFU restore. Don't use an iTunes backup to set it up afterwards. They can be corrupted. Then run it down all the way to shut off, leave it for like 5 minutes and then plug it in and charge it up, see what it does. Try not to use it and make sure it's on the wall with the iPad charger and an iPhone one.

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
No it does not slow down, it just stops and hours later it's still at 89%-90%. It's not being used while charging.

Thanks for the suggestion. Hmm is it healthy to use it up until it turns off by itself? Either way, I'll wait to see if others have different ideas/suggestions/experiences.

halduauthor

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2013
do you have another app that will give you a charge reading, like battery magic or BatteryActive? check and see what these apps show, sometimes the battery does not show the correct amount of charge.
It is fine to let it run all the way down and also healthy for the battery occasionally.

tanjinyuan

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2013
Problem solved

No it does not slow down, it just stops and hours later it's still at 89%-90%. It's not being used while charging.

Thanks for the suggestion. Hmm is it healthy to use it up until it turns off by itself? Either way, I'll wait to see if others have different ideas/suggestions/experiences.

I have the same problem with you too with using the original changer,since I take my iPod or iPhone changer to charge my ipad mini,it go to 100% and the problem solved.but the iPod and iPhone changer very slow,original changer faster,but the original charger have some problem!!!

RadDave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina
Hi All - just a few comments: 1) Apple has indeed had occasional battery issues that in part may relate to iOS behavior (often corrected w/ updates); 2) Please see this Apple Support Article - about once a month, the battery needs to be 'exhausted completely' and then recharged fully - this recalibrates the battery indicator; and 3) the appropriate chargers for the iPad produce 10 W (older one) or 12 W of power output - chargers for other iDevices only put out 5 W and a USB port on a computer is also inadequate for that power - best to use the charger supplied w/ the iPad.

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
Thread a bit old, I haven't been checking out the forum for a while. I just want to say thanks for all the feedback/tips/suggestions/ideas. :)

I haven't checked on my mom's iPad mini for a while. Will see to it and hope everything will be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.