Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mphtrilogy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
hi everyone,

could use a little help on which one to choose.

16gig wifi or the 32gig wifi

and is the ipad 4 worth it over the ipad 3?

i have the ipad 1.0 and it is time to upgrade, but just trying to balance out if its worth spending the extra $$ for the versions and the size.

thanks!!

mphtrilogy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
iPad 4 32GB WiFi.

is it worth the extra $100 for the space? i am looking atht erefurb model for $549 on apple..

my ipad 1.0 carshes quite a bit right now.. and my fios app stopped working on it...

should i wait for ipad 5.0 or will the 4.0 tide me over for 3 more years?

tazz3

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
I just got a refurb ipad 4 32 gig for only 49 more dollars.
then a brand new ipad 4 16 gig.so worth geting the refurb from the apple store
its brand new they put a brand new battery in it and they put a new outer case. and they replace parts in side. it has the same one year warrntey from apple

mphtrilogy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
I just got a refurb ipad 4 32 gig for only 49 more dollars.
then a brand new ipad 4 16 gig.so worth geting the refurb from the apple store
its brand new they put a brand new battery in it and they put a new outer case. and they replace parts in side. it has the same one year warrntey from apple

thanks,

i saw that as well, can you really do some video editing and photo work on the ipad4 with imovie without it getting bogged down?

i guess i am fishing around for reasons to spend the money, my ipad 1.0 is very limited in its use now, so i am trying to get some justification working past my surfing and video apps...

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
hi everyone,

could use a little help on which one to choose.

16gig wifi or the 32gig wifi

and is the ipad 4 worth it over the ipad 3?

i have the ipad 1.0 and it is time to upgrade, but just trying to balance out if its worth spending the extra $$ for the versions and the size.

thanks!!

It depends on what you want to do. Are you planning on downloading a lot of music/movies into iPad? If so then 32GB is the best. Also you will never know you want to keep a lot of apps. I realized 16GB is perfect for me until apps size are getting bigger so I decided to get 32GB I am happy now. :apple:

azure247

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
I never end up filling 32 GB because I dont store media that I dont use anymore. I dont see the point in storing a bunch of movies thats been watched already or thousands of songs. I just rotate songs I like and take out the ones I grow to hate. Makes more sense than to search for songs I like to listen to when I have it on shuffle. Also, the 16GB is the best bang for ur buck. Apple takes the biggest loss on the 16GB models.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I would get the 4 over the 3, especially as you are thinking of keeping it for a few years. I have a 3 and tested the 4 in the store. The speed difference is readily apparent, especially when rendering PDFs. That speed bump will help you Dow the road as the software is upgraded.

The memory size is personal. Are you the sort of person that needs the space? I would struggle with 16GB. I have the 64GB now and there is less than 29GB free. As part of my business use of the iPad I carry movies demonstrating how our product operates so I can present these to users. If you are are frugal 16GB might be OK. Three years is a long time.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
iPad apps are getting bigger all the time. If I did it again, I'd definitely buy a 32 gig. The 16 gig iPad is getting a lot like the old 8 gig iPod touch, it's really not enough storage for a base level device.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I went with a 16GB iPad 4 because I use Google Music for my music and just stream for the most part. Doesn't hurt that I got it for $400 on eBay.

Sammmmmy

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2013
electronic products updating everyday! So buy a latest one. Otherwise you will update your products in a short time.

azure247

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
No point getting 32GB unless u are traveling a lot and dont have access to a computer or streaming from desktop. When the ipad 3 came out i was convinced to get 64GB and it was a waste of money. Didnt even make it to 32 GB unless i cram bunch of HD movies into it. Think about what u can do with 100 dollars+tax to splurge on. Maybe a nice ipad case or some food!

mphtrilogy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
thanks everyone..

i might try to play around with the imovie feature and see if its easy to edit and share movies.. i think i might need the 32g if i do that..

is it easy to get raw feeds onto the ipad or do i need to take the movie on the ipad to really get the most out of that feature?

man $400 for a $16g ipad 4 would be nice.. but i have not seen that one!

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
thanks,

i saw that as well, can you really do some video editing and photo work on the ipad4 with imovie without it getting bogged down?

i guess i am fishing around for reasons to spend the money, my ipad 1.0 is very limited in its use now, so i am trying to get some justification working past my surfing and video apps...

Yes...this is where you'll see the biggest difference between the iPad 2/3 and the 4th generation. Much MUCH faster with iMovie, iPhoto, and other 'rendering' apps that take advantage off the CPU and GPU. If you're just a browser, reader....email and Facebook, the iPad 3 is fine....if you're going to use it more like a 'power' user for creative work, you'll notice a very nice performance boost in the iPad 4. Rendering and formatting movies is twice....sometimes three times as fast between my 3 and 4. It's pretty amazing actually. If you work with PDFs as well, you'll notice them opening and manipulating more efficiently as well.

That said....IF you've made it's to this point, you may just pick up a second hand iPad 3 and see what happens this fall with the iPad 5. This will guarantee you the least amount lost on your iPad 3 investment.

If you're shooting HD video and editing it, buy as much storage as you can afford. That's our primary usage for most of our iPads. They're for our mobile audio and video production company and they're all 64 GB. Next round will definitely be 128GB. The iPads have transformed my two decade old business as far as portability, efficiency and the 'horsepower' to actually get 'real' work done....as well as providing us with reliable redundancy

Good luck!

J

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.