Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Disabled to save battery life ....
I have it on. But I also have Hands-Free Control (jailbreak tweak). With Hands-Free I can simply say "Siri" to get Siri's attention, then when it responds speak my query. Don't have to touch my iPhone at all.

I use an Activator action to switch Hands-Free on/off when I like and it automatically turns on when I plug in power and off when I switch to battery.

Any other time, all I have to do is like normal, press the Home button twice.

No hit on battery life for me. Although, Hands-Free Control uses an active listener so if you leave it on when your iPhone isn't plugged in that could impact battery life.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
It's a sorry excuse for voice control that Apple brilliantly used as the main selling point for a phone upgrade. It worked. We were all awed at the keynote. It's still in beta almost 2 years later.

Yes, it schedules appointments and tells you to bring an umbrella today. Wow. 2013 and we can voice control a calendar event!

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I don't get where some people swear by it and it never makes a mistake, plays the wrong song, calls the wrong person, sends a mis-typed text, just perfect in every way.

And then the other half say it's never right and is always goofing up. I played with it enough to know I wasn't going to rely on it getting important things right the first time, because it usually doesn't.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
It can not even get my wife's name correct, ever!
I find it frustrating and one of the worse ideas apple have brought out.
Google search gets my wife's name first time and shows just how far ahead google are with this type of thing.
Apple should just pay up and use google services integrated into ios, they could then use the teams that update maps and siri into doing something that just works.
Apple got to big for their boots and need brought back down to earth. It will be interesting to see where they go but I honestly think they've had their time in the limelight.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
SIRI will get better over time folks. Some just don't have the patients when it does not work 100%. I use it from time to time myself. ;)

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Is it possible to get the voice recognition (microphone) button on the keyboard if siri is disabled? I like the voice recognition button but I don't like or use siri.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
SIRI will get better over time folks. Some just don't have the patients when it does not work 100%. I use it from time to time myself. ;)

If you lose patients you'll go out of business, if you're doctor or something similar.

I use it for setting reminders, reading and responding to texts, asking for directions, and stuff like that...occasionally. More often than not, it's too awkward to talk to my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.