Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I bought Nexus 7 when Google released it. I bought it because the hype that bloggers created about the device and OS. I was disappointed after using it for 2 months. Simple tasks like browsing the net with default browser (Chrome) were terrible compared to what I have used to in iOS. Android 4.1 isn't buttery IMHO.

Ok, fair enough.

At least you tried it and it wasn't good for you.

That's understandable.

Chhayk

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2012
Need profiles like the old nokias. At least 3.

Loud with vibration
Vibration only
Silent

Tunnelrunner

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
Though we probably won't see any of this by iOS 7, I still want to salute the OP for an excellent letter - as a Jelly Bean and iOS 6 user, I'd love to see this on an iPhone.

Last edited:

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
Need profiles like the old nokias. At least 3.

Loud with vibration
Vibration only
Silent

Finally someone who agrees with me! i even emailed Apple about this years ago to suggest it.

If you could schedule profiles and use geo-fencing in the same way as reminders use it that would be a fantastic feature.

JohnLT13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)
If they can get anywhere close to this i will be very very happy. Is it possible?
In the words of Steve himself "think different"

iOS-7-concept_zps8e7f51c0.jpg

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
Nice letter
Even I want a few features like these.. But what I don't want is the widgets in the lockscreen ..
I've seen android phones and I feel that their opening screen is a total waste it's full of widgets and their most used apps .. Even though they have the option to remove the screen I feel it's completely useless.

Our lock screen should have widgets but it should be in such a way that it doesn't ruin the look of it.. For eg. The time widget in the lock screen should have the ability to be swiped so that one gets a widget of their choice .. In that way the person will have the widget and the look would also be not ruined ...

In iOS 7 I want these as my primary feature .. Apple shows 10 stand out features .. I want all these features to be in 1 stand out feature and the rest 9 should be other great ones which are innovative ...

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
They should name an App after the OP just to let him know they listened.

Do they really ever care? :(

sexiewasd

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
Back in Your Head
I bought Nexus 7 when Google released it. I bought it because the hype that bloggers created about the device and OS. I was disappointed after using it for 2 months. Simple tasks like browsing the net with default browser (Chrome) were terrible compared to what I have used to in iOS. Android 4.1 isn't buttery IMHO.

I had the same experience with the Nexus 7. It's good hardware, but the software was at most acceptable. I might have kept my Nexus 7 if i didn't have an iPod and Macbook air, that are both far more pleasant experiences, despite their flaws.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Finally someone who agrees with me! i even emailed Apple about this years ago to suggest it.

If you could schedule profiles and use geo-fencing in the same way as reminders use it that would be a fantastic feature.

Add bluetooth wifi on and off to the profile and most of the need to manage settings would go away. Cell triangulation should be good enough for this sort of geo-fencing to avoid the battery draining gps.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
You guys are a bit naive,don't you think Apple wants these features but they can't add them because they can't make A BETTER BATTERY,that's the problem for all these missed features.Sure Android has all above but you saw how it laggs and how slow it is.

The Samsung S4 has all of the mentioned features and it doesn't lag or have horrible battery life. :rolleyes:

No more excuses Apple... give us something worth talking about or we're going to start leaving in drives. :)

DaffyDuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Totally agree with all of this.

Most of it doesn't have to wait till iOS 7, but of course Apple will push them as NEW, AWESOME, AMAZING, BEST THING WE'VE DONE features. The ability to pick default apps needs to happen though. These apps were really good before the app store and even the infancy of the app store, but we have reached a point where a lot of apps are now better than the default apps. I personally would love to switich my default photo app to Camera+. We all love the apps on the app store and just want the ability to pick the apps we want. And PLEASE let us dump the useless apps we never use like voice memos. Who the hell uses voice memos? I would guess less than 1% of all iPhone users.

And if you want voice memos something like Evernote and similar apps, I am sure, are far superior.

----------

Yes it is, you can't even put it in a folder ffs.

Because it is a folder so with the way folders animate it doesn't make sense to put a folder in a folder. It should just hide itself when empty.

pcmxa

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2011
ABQ
1. Just allow me to hide default apps that I do not wish to use. I don't really care about having to delete them but if I choose not to use them make it a preference setting to hide them.

2. Widgets and Toggles aren't going to happen. Apple doesn't want you to micro-manage your phone. Only Android users are in constant need of shutting down features on their phone in order to make their phone last longer. While it was great to brag about having LTE when the iPhone 4S came out the fact was the 4S lasted longer than most of the LTE phones in battery life. A dead phone is a paper weight.

3. The problem here is clutter. How many people really need to constantly see weather or some other small bit of data. I think a lot of people are succumbing to information overload.

4. Quick reply is a no-brainer. I use shortcuts and in conjunction with quick reply would speed my ability to communicate.

5. I don't think Apple should allow for default apps for anything that already comes with the system. Thus Safari, Mail, Maps and more would have to be the standard default. This is key because Apple can provide a consistent experience across these vital apps.

Other apps like Twitter and other apps it would be nice to be able to set defaults.

All of which is fine. But I felt I needed those features. I wanted them without jail breaking, so I left for android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.