Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Hello,

My apple tv seems to have the video stutter when airplaying sometimes. The video is playing fine and smooth on my macbook pro but when it comes to the tv its stuttering like hell.

Anyone else get this?

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
Hello,

My apple tv seems to have the video stutter when airplaying sometimes. The video is playing fine and smooth on my macbook pro but when it comes to the tv its stuttering like hell.

Anyone else get this?

have you tried the old factory reset?

Also try running an ethernet cable as a test to see if it is ok. if it is then it is likely to be the wifi is not strong enough.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
Even though the router is not like 3 foot away from it and the MacBook is around 5.5 ft away

Yes. Wifi is terrible to send a live video stream with minimal delay. Also it does not stream all 60FPS that your computer is producing, only 30. Plus it will drop frames if bandwidth is poor. A direct HDMI connection is what you want for best visual quality.

Christoffee

Contributor
Jul 26, 2012
UK
Yes. Wifi is terrible to send a live video stream with minimal delay. Also it does not stream all 60FPS that your computer is producing, only 30. Plus it will drop frames if bandwidth is poor. A direct HDMI connection is what you want for best visual quality.

Presumably 802.11ac equipment will help this? I will be starting my own Apple TV setup soon, but I'm thinking of waiting for a 802.11ac equipment.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Presumably 802.11ac equipment will help this? I will be starting my own Apple TV setup soon, but I'm thinking of waiting for a 802.11ac equipment.

It won't. Even with the best possible setup the IQ will be vastly inferior - for example, the true resolution will be 720p only instead of 1080p, the maximal framerate will be 30p and not 60p etc.

If you're trying to play back, say, MKV's, remux them to iOS-native files so that the ATV can directly play them back, instead of having to rely on the inherently inferior screen mirroring.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Even though the router is not like 3 foot away from it and the MacBook is around 5.5 ft away

Distance is not the ONLY consideration. WIFI is radio. Is subjected to all kind of interferences and what your neibours are doing.

Am running OK on 802.11G *only* but my router is 4 feet away and is hand optimized using the less noisy channel and my ATV is on Ethernet.

Last edited:

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
everyone who uses it.

hardwiring your network can help, but even then it won't be as good as a direct video connection like HDMI.

I have the same problem.

Airplay Mirroring with video streams is stuttering and lagging. A direct YouTube HD stream on ATV (720p) works fine.

I stream low quality videos from http://www.srf.ch/player/tv with Airplay Mirroring.

Any help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.