Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
England
It would be bad yes, but if you've set your hard drive to sleep whenever it isnt being used (in system preferences - energy saver) then your hard drive will be old and wise before it perishes.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Ashapalan said:
It would be bad yes, but if you've set your hard drive to sleep whenever it isnt being used (in system preferences - energy saver) then your hard drive will be old and wise before it perishes.

uh oh. but I leave it on 24/7 to download torrents...that mmeans my hardddrive will always be spinning then right?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yes necessarily. It is bad for your hard drive to be spinning all the time in a notebook however as buryyourbrideau implies, the main issue is whether there is sufficient ventilation for the iBook.

A hard drive spinning all the time will not last as long as one that is given a rest at night. However, a hard drive that isn't kept cool will last for even less time.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
ah alright. well i have my ibook on a icurve so i think that gives it proper ventilation

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
mad jew said:
Yes necessarily. It is bad for your hard drive to be spinning all the time in a notebook however as buryyourbrideau implies, the main issue is whether there is sufficient ventilation for the iBook.

A hard drive spinning all the time will not last as long as one that is given a rest at night. However, a hard drive that isn't kept cool will last for even less time.

yea i did not mean that there is not a problem. really there is, running your hard disk all the time will significantly shorten the lifespan of it, but if there is not proper ventilation then the hard disk could go out at any time.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
WillMak said:
ah alright. well i have my ibook on a icurve so i think that gives it proper ventilation

But do you really need to use BitTorrent 24/7? I mean, is there really that much legal stuff for you to download?

For the sake of your iBook, let it sleep when you do. :)

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Letting your hard drive spin all the time is bad for it, but having it spin up and down all the time is even worse. The best thing for a hard drive is never to use it, but even that's not guaranteed. Just make regular backups and you'll be OK.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
It's also very bad for the display, if you're talking about running it with the cover open. This will seriously reduce its useful life by making brightness and color accuracy degrade faster. Make sure the backlight is turned off when you're not actively using it (IOW, not just a screensaver, which doesn't do much for LCDs anyway).

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
G5Unit said:
The longest I had my powermac running was probably a week. Is that bad without sleeping?

i never sleep my ibook, i have the screensaver set to go on at 5 mins of inactivity and display sleeps at 10. i have it running all the time, but the hd is never running all the time as that point was hammered in this thread. its set to sleep.

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
My 12 inch ibook stays on all the time. Granted, at night its either on with the screen off or sleeping, but it rarely gets restarted more than once every week or so. I don't think i've actually turned it off since I got it 2 months ago :eek: :D

And while a hard drive spinning 24/7 will indeed wear it out in a very bad way, having it spin up and down all the time is worse. I think someone allready mentioned that, but I second the notion. A HD consistently spinning and then resting for a period of time is a very healthy way to run your lappy.

Josh2022

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2005
I dont really see what the big deal is, i mean servers for example, there never turned off, and they dont blow often.

jtown

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
mad jew said:
They don't generally run on 2.5 inch laptop hard drives. ;)

Actually, there are server-rated 2.5" hard drives coming out. They're intended for 1U rack servers and other applications where small physical size and low power requirements are important.

And I'm surprised by the posts that imply a quick and painful death is coming for a laptop drive that's left spinning 24/7. That just isn't true as long as the system has proper ventilation (sitting on a hard surface with the lid open and nothing covering the vents). It's a hard drive. It's meant to spin. It may reduce the overal lifespan a little bit over the long term but, I'm assuming anyone who leaves their computer on 24/7 is a bit of a computer junky. The drive (and probably the whole comuter) will be replaced long before it wears out from "overuse".

My ibook's been running pretty much non-stop for a year and a half. Probably closer to two years. The display shuts off after 15 minutes but the drive never stops spinning. Uptime us usually measured in months (real uptime, not sleeping for weeks at a time). Still works as well as the day I got it.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
my ibook has been running 24/7 nonstop without harddrive sleep for about a month now. How much of it's life span did i realistically killed? :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.