Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bpk

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2013
I'm having this exact same problem. I can't right click in any window that's associated with a hard drive, internal or external, firewire or USB.

My guess is that it has something to do with a bug in a recent software update. Like the original poster, I am also running OSX 10.6.8. I was leery of going through with a recent update for fear of things like this. Luckily it is a very minor problem, but still very frustrating.

On another more more worrisome note, I recently had to do a panic shutdown. You know the one: when the whole computer stops and that little box appears and says you need to shut down right away. I am worried that this is also a symptom of running a software update.

Have you had anything like that?

I am on an iMac version 12.2 (Mid 2011, I believe).

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
I'll never get why people resist OS upgrades. I can understand skipping the .0 and maybe 0.1 versions or even waiting till the current project is finished and backed up. But it's stupid to the point of being self damaging and moronic for people to still be using some version of 10.6. The funny part is that they expect things to work right at the same time LOL. Of course forums like this one don't help AT ALL with all the Sadomasochists preaching that there are rational reasons behind their resistance. Some arguments even have me wondering but luckily I have the time and will to actually test things and know it's all just BS. I won't even compare these folks to Ned Ludd, who actually did have some reasonable socioeconomic concerns and logical reasons behind his actions.

deansawyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Bpk; Looks like we are sharing the same issue. I haven't had the 'grey screen of death' where you need to restart though.

Tesselator; I LOVE upgrading to the next software update, not sure why, there is something about being up-to-date that I find fulfilling. Unfortunately I'm using an old mac that won't even upgrade to the latest software as it's too old so I'm lumped with 10.6 for now.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
I LOVE upgrading to the next software update, not sure why, there is something about being up-to-date that I find fulfilling. Unfortunately I'm using an old mac that won't even upgrade to the latest software as it's too old so I'm lumped with 10.6 for now.

10.7.5 runs better on that machine. I's the newest (and last official) OS X release for your machine. It's way faster than 10.6.8 too! (tested)

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
I'll never get why people resist OS upgrades. I can understand skipping the .0 and maybe 0.1 versions or even waiting till the current project is finished and backed up. But it's stupid to the point of being self damaging and moronic for people to still be using some version of 10.6. The funny part is that they expect things to work right at the same time LOL. Of course forums like this one don't help AT ALL with all the Sadomasochists preaching that there are rational reasons behind their resistance. Some arguments even have me wondering but luckily I have the time and will to actually test things and know it's all just BS. I won't even compare these folks to Ned Ludd, who actually did have some reasonable socioeconomic concerns and logical reasons behind his actions.

Ned Ludd didn't want to upgrade. I have no need. Big difference.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
But, since I have no need, my decision is also logical.

Well there ya go then! Ya can't beat that with a stick! It might help if you could dance tho! :p

But that's how it is with everything too. I see it in the digital video and still camera world a lot too. If you have no need for the best then that's fine. It's the people who go around recommending their way of doing that is the best who baffle me...

bobbledavidson

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2013
Same Problem

Hi folks. I'm having this same issue on Mac OS X 10.6.8

It happened on some files to begin with. I assumed it was a permissions issue. Now it seems to be all files and folders. Interestingly I'm still able to right-click on the Devices and Places lists of my finder window e.g. on the Macintosh HD icon, the Desktop icon etc.

Bit of a nuisance.

bobbledavidson

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2013
Fixed

Well, I've just checked for software updates and found one. After installing and then rebooting my machine I appear to be able to use right-click (double-tap on touchpad) on all my file systems.

deansawyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Great Bobbledavidson, glad that worked for you. I've almost given up, there's a possibility I'll get a new computer soon I'm sure that will fix it!

lalalaland

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2013
France
changing preview mode

Hello,

I have the same issue on my external drives.
I have, after trying all of the above, also tried to switch cables, leaving only one external drive (instead of a daisy chain) plugged in to no avail.

I found that depending on the preview mode (icons / list / column or cover flow) that it is only in column view that the right click doesn't work on my external drives.

hope this helps, and that we will find a proper solution to have that function everywhere.

LA

Last edited:

deansawyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
lalalaland - :) GREAT temp fix!

This also works for me, the vertical column mode won't allow it but the others display modes will, at least this is a start!

bobbledavidson

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2013
That works for me too!

So after posting that the software update had fixed my problem, it came back!

Changing from column to list view has solved it again... great temp fix!

bpk

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2013
yes, switching to icon or list mode fixes the problem for me too. too bad column mode is what i always prefer using!

digisplicer

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
It looks like this hasn't been resolved yet. The problem is most likely caused by a bug in Google Drive. Here's a workaround:

• Head to the Google Drive menu icon and select Preferences
  • Uncheck "Show file sync status icons"
  • Click "Apply Changes"
  • If needed, relaunch the Finder by holding down the Option key, right clicking the Finder icon in the dock and selecting Relaunch.

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/drive/1z1IAedEAC8

deansawyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
It looks like this hasn't been resolved yet. The problem is most likely caused by a bug in Google Drive. Here's a workaround:

• Head to the Google Drive menu icon and select Preferences
  • Uncheck "Show file sync status icons"
  • Click "Apply Changes"
  • If needed, relaunch the Finder by holding down the Option key, right clicking the Finder icon in the dock and selecting Relaunch.

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/drive/1z1IAedEAC8

Great, thanks Digisplicer - That's soved the issue! I had to relaunch finder but it all works as it is supposed to now!

bpk

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2013
Wow, that's it! This worked for me too. I don't know how you figured that out but that has completely solved that annoying little problem. Thanks so much!!!!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.