Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Just wondering how people are enjoying their new imacs. Had mine for about 5 months now. Still super quick but I've noticed:
- Fusion Drive bootup is slower, takes about 20 seconds to boot now. It was around 12 before.
- In the past couple of months I have been able to hear the fan, either because I'm more finetuned to it, or because its started coming on more often?
- The screen is PITA to clean like oh my god does it love finger prints!
- I'm happy with choosing a 21.5 inch, perfect screen size for me.
- Speakers could be bassier! :)
Apart from that I love the machine!!

Last edited:

outie2k

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
I got 1 for work and 1 for home. Both are 27" and have been flawless. Not sure how you get fingerprints on there. I never touch the screens.

stevefo

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
I'm a first time iMac and OSX owner. So far it's the best computing decision I ever made. I really dig the all in one design 27" iMac. Big yet compact and very power efficient. It's been solid for the last two months.

tomwvr

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Frederick Maryland
Ive had mine a month now - all I can say is I still love this machine -its the best computer I have ever had, does everything I need it to do and does it quickly.

Tom

And PS - yes the screen loves finger prints - i sometimes get my fingers near the edge when plugging in devices on the back

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Love my new 27" iMac but there is a network issue, often after deep sleep I can't access shared drives on the PC that is on the same network and requires a restart to fix it.

Also sometimes USB drives unexpectedly disconnect, also when i wake the iMac, but the upside is since it's whisper quite I've been leaving it run overnight more than my old G5 tower.

I'm hoping it's an OS X issue or a problem with the network settings.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Just wondering how people are enjoying their new imacs. Had mine for about 5 months now. Still super quick but I've noticed:
- Fusion Drive bootup is slower, takes about 20 seconds to boot now. It was around 12 before.
- In the past couple of months I have been able to hear the fan, either because I'm more finetuned to it, or because its started coming on more often?

I've had mine since December 2012. It's a 21.5" with Fusion and GT 650m. I haven't noticed any slow down or increase noise with the fan. Cleaning the screen is a big PITA, I always scold my wife for touching it! So far everything has been working nicely!

illestswag

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2013
I had mine for 1 month, it is pretty much flawless, :) no problems with it.
No Scratch or anything !

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

Doesn't sound unusual, that's happened to my Macs with SSD drives. Any number of things will do that such as startup items, apps that have extra functionality that startup during boot, iTunes helper, etc...

It could be that you're running apps that are heating up the iMac more...but...don't take this personally but it probably IS because you're more fine-tuned to it. Just you creating this thread shows your a bit on the OCD side. :) Just think about the millions of people that buy computers that never give fan noise a second thought, even if it "appeared" to be quieter when they first bought it. It is a machine at the end of the day.

You could keep your fingers off the screen. :D

Are you kidding with a cabinet that thin? Sure it would be nice if they had more bass but how could they? Get external speakers my friend or a great pair of headphones such as the Bowers and Wilkins P5.

I certainly don't doubt it, it is a very nice machine and the things you mentioned really aren't issues, but rather you being a bit on the OCD side, IMO. I don't have the 2012 iMac, I have the previous generation just in case you were wondering. I just wanted to chime in. Your thread title appears that you're looking for someone to mention problems. If your machine is good then enjoy and get work and play done. Just my 2 cents. :)

seble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Doesn't sound unusual, that's happened to my Macs with SSD drives. Any number of things will do that such as startup items, apps that have extra functionality that startup during boot, iTunes helper, etc...

It could be that you're running apps that are heating up the iMac more...but...don't take this personally but it probably IS because you're more fine-tuned to it. Just you creating this thread shows your a bit on the OCD side. :) Just think about the millions of people that buy computers that never give fan noise a second thought, even if it "appeared" to be quieter when they first bought it. It is a machine at the end of the day.

You could keep your fingers off the screen. :D

Are you kidding with a cabinet that thin? Sure it would be nice if they had more bass but how could they? Get external speakers my friend or a great pair of headphones such as the Bowers and Wilkins P5.

I certainly don't doubt it, it is a very nice machine and the things you mentioned really aren't issues, but rather you being a bit on the OCD side, IMO. I don't have the 2012 iMac, I have the previous generation just in case you were wondering. I just wanted to chime in. Your thread title appears that you're looking for someone to mention problems. If your machine is good then enjoy and get work and play done. Just my 2 cents. :)

Ha quite the opposite my friend, I just wanted to point out a few things I had noticed since having the machine for awhile. I actually started it because you see so many threads with people complaining I wanted to make a thread where people are actually saying how they're getting on and enjoying their machine :)

I love the damn thing. Heck my first personal mac, a MBP back in 2006 began life (it's first bootup) to a kernel panic, and through its life had replaced hard drives, keyboards, disc drives. And yet I still loved the sucker! :) thanks though

Arfdog

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2013
I've had mine since March, the best computing experience i've ever had. Of course I was coming from Windows, so that says a lot.

I have Office for Mac and Matlab for Mac, and the thing just does things right without complaint.

Hardware is still perfect, sleeps nicely (my PC could never sleep right), and boots fast if I ever need to restart (I think i've restarted maybe 4 times). No fan problems, barely notice the noise.

kishan21

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Plain and simple, I love it! It runs beautifully, the display is gorgeous, and the fusion drive makes a huge difference. I'm big on Photoshop so it's fun using CS6 on this display. I added in some Klipsch Pro Media 2.1's and made this into my primary machine to jam and do work on :D.

As for fingerprints, I've been using the distilled water/white vinegar method for years on all my screens, no streaks and no damage whatsoever!

Nuke61

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
Columbia, SC
I love my 27" Fusion iMac. No fingerprints, screen is great, don't know if it takes longer to boot... I just put it to sleep and only reboot when installs require it. I went overboard and installed 32GB of ram, so I just leave nearly all the normally used apps in memory all the time, since there's usually no need to shut them down because of memory issues.

NbinHD

macrumors 6502
Guys just a quick question. If i was to buy a iMac 21.5 inch late 2012, should i upgrade to a 256gb SSD for $360, is it worth it? Also is 8gb ram enough for parallels 8 running windows 8 at the same time in coherence mode, with office 2013? Thanks. Im 16 so $360 bucks is alot, i only need it to last for around two years before i need to get a macbook for uni.

Hildegerd

macrumors regular
May 12, 2013
Norway

I was planning on buyng the 21" myself, but the no option on upgrading the RAM myself makes me a bit worried.

Bigtree

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Love it!!!! Very proud of it. Lot's of room on the 3 terabit hard drive, been ripping lots of vinyl records.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Very pleased. Came from a 2011 :D 27" maxed out to a 2012:) 27" 3TB FD, 2GB GPU 32GB RAM, and could not be happier..( sorry, couldn't resist the joke!

The machine runs a lot cooler, thanks to the design, my 2011 did get hot when it was working hard, this one doesn't, you just hear the fans.

The screen is superb, and the Fusion system works well as it get's to know what you use and how often.

All over...Just one regret....No Mac Pro, but I just couldn't wait.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I've had mine since December 2012. It's a 21.5" with Fusion and GT 650m. I haven't noticed any slow down or increase noise with the fan. Cleaning the screen is a big PITA, I always scold my wife for touching it! So far everything has been working nicely!

Cleaning the screen is no fun, yeah you can NOT touch it but it still accumulates dust so you have to deal with it. Also litte tiny spit dots are a PITA. lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.