Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Axmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
So, I (think) I've come to the conclusion that i'd rather have an ipad mini rather than the full-size behemoth retina ipad.

I have a 64gb Wifi Black retina model with applecare+

How would I go about getting a 64gb Wifi Black ipad mini with applecare+?

Axmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
Keep the full size iPad or you'll miss it.

Open wallet, buy Mini.

That's what I did.

IPad 4 + Mini = :D
I'd rather buy a nice laptop PC with the money both of them together would cost.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I'd rather buy a nice laptop PC with the money both of them together would cost.

I'd endorse that decision 100%.

I'm a huge laptop enthusiast.

That's why I have a 2012 13" MBA & 2013 15" MBPr as my two current faves :D

Between work & personal they both get lots of use.

My iPads are just for casual fun surfing & such when I want a different form factor.

Axmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
I'd endorse that decision 100%.

I'm a huge laptop enthusiast.

That's why I have a 2012 13" MBA & 2013 15" MBPr as my two current faves :D

Between work & personal they both get lots of use.

My iPads are just for casual fun surfing & such when I want a different form factor.
Honestly, I just end up using it to browse the internet. And often, I'll just grab my ancient ipod touch because it's easier.

I'm getting alarmingly little use out of it for the amount I paid, and it's starting to make me extremely nervous.

I honestly don't think I'd miss the full-sized retina iPad, I just wouldn't know how to go about selling or trading it at all.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Honestly, I just end up using it to browse the internet. And often, I'll just grab my ancient ipod touch because it's easier.

I'm getting alarmingly little use out of it for the amount I paid, and it's starting to make me extremely nervous.

I honestly don't think I'd miss the full-sized retina iPad, I just wouldn't know how to go about selling or trading it at all.

I do understand.

If you don't mind getting a lower price than selling it via Craigslist, or other method, I have used Gazelle with great success. They paid the quoted price & I received the check in only 5 days. Very hassle free.

http://www.gazelle.com

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
I did exactly that. Sold my iPad retina and bought a mini.

The form factor of the mini trumps everything else.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Wait until the full sized iPad 5 .. It is said to have thinner bezel and lighter too.
So it will be easier to grab, comfortable to hold for a longer period AND keeping the full size of screen estate too.

Until then, the Mini is a nice and tempting option. Kinda make the iPad 4 and below feels and looks antiquated.

Hold on .. It couldn't be that long.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Buy the Mini and try it for 14 days to make sure it is really what you want before doing anything with the iPad 4 you may end up regretting.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Or you could just wait for the iPad 5 which will be about a pound and as thin as the mini. :)

That's why I have a plan to buy the new iPad 5 upon its release. Yet I'll also be buying the next mini if, and only if it is retina equipped. They're still two very different devices ergonomically.

crobbins

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2006
Colorado
I'd definitely hold out. Looking forward to seeing the next gens, especially the Mini. Like numerous other threads and posters discuss, if/when they go to Retina, I'm there!

azure247

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
I understand that a mini is easy to hold and light but I think thats what an iphone is for so the best logical purchase would be an ipad to balance something small with something big.. just me :x

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
I understand that a mini is easy to hold and light but I think thats what an iphone is for so the best logical purchase would be an ipad to balance something small with something big.. just me :x

iphone is totally different from ipad mini. i have an iphone, an ipad 3 and a mini. they all function differently.

passey

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2013
i sold my ipad 4 today and traded it in for an ipad mini.

The wife already had 1 so i new what to expect.

i only used it to play ios games, browse the web. youtube those kind of things.

TBH i would never go back to the full size i much prefer the mini.

Only real difference you can see is if you look at some pictures that are really high res then u can tell with the side by side.

Can hold the mini for longer without getting arm ache.
mini can be taken out the house alot easier than the full size.

and tbh even watching youtube vids you dont notice the difference between the sizes.

I say sell the ipad 4 buy a mini and pocket the spare cash.

I got £320 for my ipad 4 and a mini for £200.

azure247

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
iphone is totally different from ipad mini. i have an iphone, an ipad 3 and a mini. they all function differently.

The ipad mini's purpose is to function exactly like an iphone but on a larger screen. What you can do on the iphone, you can do on the ipad mini.

Now... for PDF reading and best website surfing, the ipad is best which is something you cannot do on an iphone (without having to zoom on everything) or the mini (with some zooming).

If someone is on the go and wants to use an apple device, nothing beats the iphone. If someone is situated in a fixed location, nothing beats the ipad. The mini is an in-between of these two devices. It's better to go for the two extremes (extremely portable and extremely functional). This is assuming you have an iphone. If no iphone, I can see why ipad mini is a great buying choice.

Joewat64

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
TX
For email, reading books and flipboard this Mini is perfect. That's about 95% of what I use the iPad for. It's just easy to handle and take place.

Joewat64

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
TX
It looks just fine. People are being way too picky over that. When the first iPad came out people that it was the greatest thing on earth. I didn't hear anyone saying they wouldn't buy one because they couldn't handle the resolution. Sure the IPad 4 looks great. But it's not always about what things look like. There are many other factors that make a great product.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
People use their iPads for different purposes and for some the minis advantages and lack of retina outweighs the benefits of a full sized iPad. For others like me who have tried both, the full size iPad would be of greater benefit. I like to rdp my home computer and I think the full size iPad is better for this. Amongst other reasons for using one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.