Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMattcotv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
I came up with a brilliant and very needed idea last night, of a tweak that allows one to move and scale the touchscreen keyboard around on the screen.

This is good for many reasons:
- If you cant find the right way to hold the iPad, type with 1 hand easier by scaling down the keyboard size to something you prefer, and move it to the left or right side so you can type easy.
- If you prefer typing in the middle of the touch screen or on the top (like I prefer, because I find it would be MUCH easier) then just move it to the top.

Heres some concept art (both images are 1000x700 or so):

The iPad keyboard at regular size, with a move icon (very left, drag to move keyboard up and down), a default position icon (middle right icon, tap to return to bottom at regular size size) and a resize icon (very right, tap to go smaller, when in smaller mode, drag to resize, tap again to return to regular size)

keymodbig.png

keymodsmall.png

Donny Jepp

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2011
Great idea. I'll start sketching this up in Xcode and will be releasing via Cydia. Do you want credit for it?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Excellent idea.

I like the idea of the ability to scale the keyboard to be smaller if you wish.

Also, I would like the ability to allow Devs to design their own keyboard layouts.
If this were already possible, I'm sure many many people here would already be using some alternate layout, probably with thin number keys along the top edge.

This is all great, unfortunately, it's going to hit a massive obstacle "Apple"

They just seem to be into the idea of customisable options at all these days. Preferring to select something and force everyone to use it, and if you don't like it your only option it to jailbrake, and I for one am not doing that.

I would love to see something along the lines you have suggested above implemented, along with, as I said, custom keyboard layouts allowed.

iMattcotv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Nice thought. get some inspiration from the HP keynote yesterday?

No, I havent seen it, I only seen the devices (Veer won my mom over in a heartbeat lol)

Anyway, Obviously to do this, you will need to jailbreak, this is meant to be a jailbreak tweak.

If anyone does see this and does make something like this, a good mention would be nice, just say "From the brilliant mind of Matt Sullivan, creator of popular themes such as "A 1 A [Completely Sexy]"

Code.Red

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Anyway, to the OP, it's a good idea. Hopefully someone who has actually used Xcode before will start "sketching it up" and give you credit. I imagine that it's pretty tough, as there are pretty much no iPad keyboard tweaks at all. Perhaps the interest just isn't there?

Last edited by a moderator:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
wow that is a good idea, its simplicity and ease of use, so stunning, I'm surprised apple hadn't come up with that idea. They usually lead the charge on stuff like this

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I'm jailbroken, hey Devs go do it!!!! looking at you Donny Jepp.

This is awesome thanks for putting this idea out there "brilliant mind of Matt Sullivan" :p:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.