Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I was curious if anyone else has had this problem. I have been trying to download the rental 2012 in HD and I've been having a terrible time. I have plenty of space on my iPad. When I first started everything was fine. It takes a long time and the iPad went to sleep, but I assumed that movie downloads continue. Well anyhow I got a Download Error after half of it was downloaded. The only way to get it to restart and clear the partial download was to completely restore my iPad. After going through the whole restore process it has happened AGAIN! After about 2 GB of the movie downloaded. My network is pretty fast.

Well I guess if there is no way to fix it I will just have to live with a blinking "1" under downloads until it goes away in 30 days. I sent Apple a Customer Service email, but I doubt they will refund my money or make the stupid download work.

I was just curious if anyone else has had this problem and if there is any fix.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
You could just re-download to iTunes and copy it over instead of "losing" the ability to view your purchase

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
You could just re-download to iTunes and copy it over instead of "losing" the ability to view your purchase

There wasn't any way to do this since a purchase made on the iPad stays only on the iPad. I had to restore my iPad and then I tried the download again. It once again ended up with a download error about halfway through. I contacted the iTunes Store and they removed it from my downloads list and will refund me the money. The thing that kind of stinks is that there doesn't seem to be a way to remove a partial movie rental off of the iPad unless you restore it. Maybe there is a way, but I have not found it.

Maybe you have to keep the iPad awake the entire time which can take awhile when you are downloading HD content. I guess in the future I will only download SD material or I will download to my iMac first and then sync.

muffintoptn

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2010
Same problem here

I've got the same problem with a half downloaded movie. Syncing up to my MacBook doesn't offer any solutions.

Would be great if there was a way to cancel the download and restart it but the button I'm told to 'tap' doesn't offer any help.:mad:

TNSF

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2010
I was curious if anyone else has had this problem. I have been trying to download the rental 2012 in HD and I've been having a terrible time.

I'm not surprised you're having a terrible time. Its a terrible movie :)

Really terrible.

shelby77

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2010
I wanted to add a similar issue and warning...
I downloaded multiple movie rentals at one time via iTunes directly from my iPad. Took a really long time to complete - most of the day, but it's for a long overseas trip. The first movie is fine, but the other 4 auto-started as if I was watching them! I called Apple (love their service) and they said they had not seen this bug before but all they could do is credit my iTunes account for the movies, and the first guy recommended I use my laptop to download the movie first. Problem with that is it doesn't let me do a HD rental. Only way to get that is via iPad download. I had to get another credit for the same movie! So I downloaded one movie at a time, and waited for it to complete, instead of stacking the downloads. That went fine. Weird bug... but wanted to warn others.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Apple did refund my money for the rental and removed it from my download list. I ended up just getting the Blu-ray through Netflix. The movie was okay I guess. It has a completely unbelievable plot, but had some decent action scenes.

Monica0017

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2010
We almost have the same problem.. In my case, I rented a movie and it starts downloading. When I played the movie it doesn't play at all :confused:, instead it brought me back to the "main menu" or " home" (whatever you call that)..

jimkingwood

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
Movie downlod problems

Yes I have this problem right now and I don't like it one bit. Furthermore, not only do I have to do a complete wipe and restore, but iTunes is forcing me to ugrade - which I hadn't planned to do, it takes too long and it is only a pdf upgrade and I don't use pdf's - so now I not only have to wipe the stinkin' iPad I have to wait 30 minutes for the upgrade to download, then restore from backup.

Steve Jobs: this isn't the way I planned to spend my evening, I had actually planned to sit and watch a movie on my iPad.

There are a lot of holes like this in iTunes and their whole sync schema. Wjen my phone is due for upgrade, if they don't have wireless sync and backup - rather than having to tether to sync, upgrade, backup, restore, ertc - then I'm going droid / PC. Benn with Apple since 1985 but they are falling too far behind to ignore.

jimkingwood

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
In fact, I no longer consider the iPad a viable movie-watching platform. the movies take too long to donload, you can't even put your iPad down (plugged in to the wall, not to the computer) while it is downloading, come back in 30 minutes and have a downloaded movie. It errors out every time and you have t restart. My 12-year od daughter has downloaded movies and says iPad sucks, it is too slow to download. She downloads movies to her laptop instead. She used the iPad for games and whatnot for a week and doesn't use it at all any more.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Apple did refund my money for the rental and removed it from my download list. I ended up just getting the Blu-ray through Netflix. The movie was okay I guess. It has a completely unbelievable plot, but had some decent action scenes.

I enjoyed it. As long as you don't think too much.

I always download rentals to my iMac and use itunes to transfer it to the iPad.

Cheers

jimkingwood

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
It gets worse

The iPad for some reason a week later is started trying to download the movie. It hosed up the move and can't be watched, and can't be removed. Apple has a big hole in their iPad movie functionality.

trsnrtr

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2009
Central Illinois, USA
I've had the downloads stop, but always been able to get them restarted again. What p!sses me off is that you rent a movie on the iPad but can't transfer it to your iMac or other machines to watch.

JakRox

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I've had the downloads stop, but always been able to get them restarted again. What p!sses me off is that you rent a movie on the iPad but can't transfer it to your iMac or other machines to watch.

Do you think this is the intent to keep you from being able to watch over several Apple devices? This doesn't seem right for some reason to me. I don't share my iTunes with anyone else, but I do have three Apple products I move things from one to another on. Kind of makes the dollars you spend less painful if you know you can put it on whatever you need to carry for the trip or what not.

tomatel

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2010
The idea to transfer rentals to other device is actually very good.

For example can somebody plz check if you can rent "Management" movie on Apple TV - it is 99 cents movie - in top right corner
I can rent this movie from ipad but for some reason NOT from Apple TV.
They told me to factory reset atv which i am kind of reluctant to do

chrissoundings

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2012
SARASOTA, FL
new iPad iTunes High Definition movie rental download problem

i was curious if anyone else has had this problem. I have been trying to download the rental 2012 in hd and i've been having a terrible time. I have plenty of space on my ipad. When i first started everything was fine. It takes a long time and the ipad went to sleep, but i assumed that movie downloads continue. Well anyhow i got a download error after half of it was downloaded. The only way to get it to restart and clear the partial download was to completely restore my ipad. After going through the whole restore process it has happened again! After about 2 gb of the movie downloaded. My network is pretty fast.

Well i guess if there is no way to fix it i will just have to live with a blinking "1" under downloads until it goes away in 30 days. I sent apple a customer service email, but i doubt they will refund my money or make the stupid download work.

I was just curious if anyone else has had this problem and if there is any fix.

has anyone solved this problem that this member and many others experienced?

I rented and downloaded mission impossible movie last night in hd and it seems to download the entire movie, starting processing and then froze. I have "1" download in my downloads button but no purchases.
Help...i just want to watch this movie

jlnc123

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2013
I have an iPhone 4. Not much memory left to download movies. Here is what you do:
In iTunes go into downloads after purchasing movie. Pause the download. Then go into video and click on it. You can then watch it without downloading. Occasionally it will say "not enough memory", click "ok" and continue watching.
Enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.