Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Digitimes briefly reports that Apple will be releasing updated notebooks "in the near future", with supply chain sources indicating that Apple's orders will rise 20% in the second quarter compared to first-quarter production.
The new MacBooks are only expected to receive specification upgrades to Intel's latest Haswell platform and are estimated to be unveiled at the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in June, the sources said.
Claims of a 20% increase in orders come less than a month after the site claimed that orders would see a 10% increase for the quarter, although overall notebook shipments for 2013 are expected to be flat or only slightly higher year over year due to a lack of major updates and a weak PC market.

apple_notebook_lineup_feb13.jpg

Late last month, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo reported that an update to the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro lines would be a highlight for next month's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC), which kicks off on June 10. Kuo had previously believed that Apple would consolidate its MacBook Pro lines into an all-Retina lineup in mid-2013, but he now believes that continued popularity of the non-Retina models has led Apple to push back its consolidation plans for the time being.

Kuo indicated that updated models of the non-Retina MacBook Pro and MacBook Air should ship relatively soon after WWDC, with updated Retina MacBook Pro models shipping somewhat later due to constraints on display production.

Article Link: Apple Raising Notebook Orders Ahead of Likely Launch at WWDC

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
But what about the Mac Pro!?
Tim Promised! He Pinky Promised!
Tim can't back out of Pro Pinky Promise!

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
phew no redesign :D i dont care as much about the hardware, i dont even notice much of a difference between my C2D mbp and my i5 rmbp since both have a SSD

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
The 15" non-retina will be discontinued, especially if they release an integrated graphics-only model 15" retina at the $1799 price-point occupied by the last surviving 15" non-retina model and especially if Haswell's higher-end integrated graphics are as GT 650M equivalent as people are saying. The 13" non-retina will more an likely stick around in some form or another, due to popularity and the sensitivity of it being Apple's most popular computer. The writing for all of this is on the wall.

Jack Delgado

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
This is purely cosmetic, but for some reason, I'm hoping for a black-bezel screen on the new Airs.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
The 15" non-retina will be discontinued, especially if they release an integrated graphics-only model 15" retina at the $1799 price-point occupied by the last surviving 15" non-retina model and especially if Haswell's higher-end integrated graphics are as GT 650M equivalent as people are saying. The 13" non-retina will more an likely stick around in some form or another, due to popularity and the sensitivity of it being Apple's most popular computer. The writing for all of this is on the wall.
Apple will alienate a lot of their customers who like upgrading their computer throughout the life of the product, such as myself. Unless they want to lower the price of upgrading the SSD's of the retina models, they shouldn't discontinue the non-retina MBP.

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
But what about the Mac Pro!?
Tim Promised! He Pinky Promised!
Tim can't back out of Pro Pinky Promise!

Apple's walking a thin line here with the Mac Pro. They have an opportunity to completely ruin that market for themselves like they did with Final Cut, but they already caused some serious damage. I don't know why they are neglecting it so much for these many years. Same goes with the display they offer. They upgraded their Macs with USB 3.0, but the display offers no USB 3.0 'til this day. Here they have probably thousands of users like me, waiting to purchase these top of the line systems, and they are just sitting there, counting their money, and iPhones, forgetting about the loyal users who brought them up to this point in the first place.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Finally some news on this matter. I hope Apple releases Haswell versions of all laptops in June (fingers crossed). I really, really wish they are unveiled in June and not later the year...

I sympathize with those waiting for the Mac Pro and it would be nice if Apple showed them some love too. As for me, I'll never buy a Pro anyway, as I'm not willing to spend north of 5,000 on a desktop anyway.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
A bad idea

That wouldn't be such a great idea. While the rMBP has a fantastic screen resolution, that's all it offers. It removes important features for many users (matt screen option, physical ethernet, optical drive, the ability to upgrade storage and RAM) and is just less flexible in every day use. If I were buying a new laptop now and the only choices Apple had were the Air and the rMBP, I'd buy a Thinkpad! Sorry Apple, but lighter and thiner doesn't help me get my job done.

Koulie

macrumors regular
May 19, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Finally some news on this matter. I hope Apple releases Haswell versions of all laptops in June (fingers crossed). I really, really wish they are unveiled in June and not later the year...

Same here! If it is announced at WWDC and released on the same day, it will coincide with the end of my Semester exams :)
So hopefully I will get a nice holiday present (at a hefty price).

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
phew no redesign :D i dont care as much about the hardware, i dont even notice much of a difference between my C2D mbp and my i5 rmbp since both have a SSD

Another product line that has matured to a point that only spec upgrades will be happening. (Hence sales are flat)

Besides thinner, lighter etc, what else can ALL notebook manufacturers do?
(More dockability?)

With the build quality and what most users do with these products, it can be a long time before one really NEEDS an updated MBP.

My MBP 17" is from 2008 and counting. Still excellent for what I do, but I'll check out Haswell and the line up if it's really really great (As in much much faster, maybe with a fusion drive set up, etc.)

If it's not: Hello Refurb store! and buy another 5 years of an MBP.

Last edited:

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
Apple will alienate a lot of their customers who like upgrading their computer throughout the life of the product, such as myself. Unless they want to lower the price of upgrading the SSD's of the retina models, they shouldn't discontinue the non-retina MBP.

I don't know anyone (friends, family, colleagues) who has updated a laptop computer.

I think unfortunately your "a lot" is nothing more than a niche of Apple's users.

I'm not doubting for a second that there are people, who no doubt do some serious work on their laptops, and they need to update their machines every so often. But Apple has ever increasingly targeted the larger consumer space.

I'd love the hard stats if anyone has them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.