Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

piecookie

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
Hi there.

So the other day my power button was suddenly becoming very unresponsive. It takes me perhaps 10 clicks until it respons unless i press is hard on the left corner.

Thing is, I dropped the phone a couple of times and it has a few dents. Anyone could tell its been either dropped or scratched.

So my question is, is it worth a shot trying to replace it? My apple store is far far away so I don't intend to waste to much time. I mean I would the drops cause the button to disfunction?

Cheers.

applejuice99

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2013
Hi there.

So the other day my power button was suddenly becoming very unresponsive. It takes me perhaps 10 clicks until it respons unless i press is hard on the left corner.

Thing is, I dropped the phone a couple of times and it has a few dents. Anyone could tell its been either dropped or scratched.

So my question is, is it worth a shot trying to replace it? My apple store is far far away so I don't intend to waste to much time. I mean I would the drops cause the button to disfunction?

Cheers.

My iPod 4G had a problem with the home button, however it was not caused by dropping it. There have however been people having problems with the iPhone 5 button without it being dropped. If there are quite a lot of dents the apple store is unlikely to replace it for you, but it is up to you whether you want to drive a long distance with that risk. If you cannot get it replaced or or you chose not to try you can enable assistive touch: Settings>General> Accessibility>Assistive Touch>"Switch Toggle" then you can use that to lock your screen.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Use a compressed air can with the straw and point blank blow into one side of the button, give it a few squeezes. If that doesn't do it, do it again now on the other side of the button. That's what I would do.

A problem like that would drive me batty, but that's just me.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Hi there.

Cheers.

Yes, the drops could cause the button to become unresponsive and I'd say its worth the trip. Just hand it over and see if they will swap it--they just might. Even if they claim its an out of warranty repair then you'll have the option to pay to get a replacement which will be much cheaper than getting a new iPhone 5. In my opinion, its a better option than getting a third party to repair it.

When you get it replaced it sounds like you should get a case to prevent this issue from recurring--when you inevitably drop it again. :)

piecookie

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
RESULTS:

They replaced the phone guys! If you have a similair problem, go for it :)

Sebct

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
London, UK.
I took mine in the other day full of scratches on the display etc and some pretty big chips on the 'bevel'. The genius just marked the condition "as new" on the system...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.