Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following this morning's acquisition of Tumblr, Yahoo today hosted an event in New York City to detail changes to its popular photo sharing site Flickr. Flickr on the web has been given a major design overhaul, with a focus on full resolution pictures.

In addition to eliminating much of the white space on the site, Flickr is now displaying in-line photo streams that encompass the majority of the screen and detailed photo-centric profile pages. Flickr has also implemented a slideshow mode to allow its users to flip through photos hands-free.

flickr.jpg
With the redesign, Flickr is encouraging its users to upload high resolution photos by giving every Flickr user 1TB of storage space for free. That is a marked increase from its former photo storage policy, which limited users' monthly upload bandwidth and allowed only 200 photos to be visible. Flickr will allow up to 3 minutes of 1080p video as well.
At Flickr, we believe you should share all your images in full resolution, so life's moments can be relived in their original quality. No limited pixels, no cramped formats, no memories that fall flat. We're giving your photos room to breathe, and you the space to upload a dizzying number of photos and videos, for free. Just how big is a terabyte? Well, you could take a photo every hour for forty years without filling one.

And yep, you heard us. It's free.
Flickr has upped the price of its ad-free accounts, charging $49.99 per year for an ad-free browsing experience, along with introducing a new "Doublr" account, which offers 2TB of storage space for $499 per year.

During the announcement, Flickr also revealed that its redesigned iOS app, which was released last December, grew total Flickr uploads by 25 percent. Flickr's iOS app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Yahoo's Flickr Gets Major Design Overhaul, 1TB of Free Photo Storage Space

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
At first glance I like the new fluid layout. Images are huge on my 24" display and I guess it would also work better from a tablet.
Overall design taste seems improved, consistent with Yahoo's new weather app.

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
What happens to those of us with current Flickr Pro accounts? Are we automatically updated to the ad-free paid account?

iSimx

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
And about time Flickr had a major overhaul! That's fantastic they now give 1TB free! I just wish they created an official iPad app.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
What happens to those of us with current Flickr Pro accounts? Are we automatically updated to the ad-free paid account?

I'm still trying to figure out what Flickr is doing with the Pro accounts. Here's what the new FAQ says:

Starting on 5/20/2013, we will no longer be offering new Flickr Pro subscriptions. After that point, the following things will happen:

-Recurring Pro users currently have the ability to renew.
-Eligible Pro members have the option to switch to a Free account until 8/20/2013.
-The “Gift of Pro” will no longer be available for purchase.
-Pro users will no longer appear with a “Pro” badge beside their name or buddy icon.

So it sounds like current Pro users can still get an ad-free experience for $25/month, but it's a bit unclear.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
So Pro users get shafted ($24.95/year is now replaced by $49.99/year ad-free experience and unlimited is now same as free 1TB). 1TB should be enough for most pro users, but outliers will now have to pay $499.99/year for 2TB (which may not be enough for some).

blucurv

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2009
I'm still trying to figure out what Flickr is doing with the Pro accounts. Here's what the new FAQ says:

Starting on 5/20/2013, we will no longer be offering new Flickr Pro subscriptions. After that point, the following things will happen:

-Eligible Pro members have the option to switch to a Free account until 8/20/2013.
-Pro users will no longer appear with a “Pro” badge beside their name or buddy icon.

So it sounds like current Pro users can still get an ad-free experience for $25/month, but it's a bit unclear.

I believe somoeone in the q&a said that though there will be no more Pro users, they will have what they called 'doubler', which will give you an ad-free experience + 2TB total.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Yahoo isn't kidding around lately. They're getting back in the ring and don't want us to forget it. :)

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004

Pro users will be downgraded to Free user, unless they renew by paying $49.99/year to ad-free experience. In addition, if Pro users had more than 1TB worth of photos and/or video, they will see only the first 1TB (whether it is last 1TB or first 1TB isn't clear) until they pay $499.99/year for 2TB. If you have more than 2TB worth of photos and/or video, it isn't clear what will happen to them.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
loving every move marissa mayer brings to yahoo,
hopefully they would come back and bites google in the a** :D

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Pro users will be downgraded to Free user, unless they renew by paying $49.99/year to ad-free experience. In addition, if Pro users had more than 1TB worth of photos and/or video, they will see only the first 1TB (whether it is last 1TB or first 1TB isn't clear) until they pay $499.99/year for 2TB. If you have more than 2TB worth of photos and/or video, it isn't clear what will happen to them.

Where does it say that? All I see in the FAQ is the wording that states Pro users will have the option to continue their subscriptions: "Recurring Pro users currently have the ability to renew."

Edit: So it looks like Flickr Pro users without a recurring subscription will need to switch to the free tier or the ad free tier, but Flickr Pro users that do have a recurring subscription can continue to pay $24.95 for unlimited uploads and no ads.

Last edited:

Boris A

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
When using the "Share" option from iPhoto, it's still impossible to upload images in full size, as that requires Flickr Pro. As Flickr Pro no longer exists, should these greyed-out options become available?

They aren't right now.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Haha and Google thought they were being generous with 15GB combined storage.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
When using the "Share" option from iPhoto, it's still impossible to upload images in full size, as that requires Flickr Pro. As Flickr Pro no longer exists, should these greyed-out options become available?

They aren't right now.
Obviously, Apple has to update their apps first.

Until then, those options will stay greyed out.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Flickr's 1TB for free is A LOT of photo storage. Nobody is going to compete with that.

Then again, they don’t have to. This won't shift any momentum away from Facebook or Google. It may keep Flickr alive amongst whatever Yahoo is up to though.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Flickr's 1TB for free is A LOT of photo storage. Nobody is going to compete with that.

Then again, they don’t have to. This won't shift any momentum away from Facebook or Google. It may keep Flickr alive amongst whatever Yahoo is up to though.

Yes. Flickr badly needs some serious integration and not just as a image host. People won't use it otherwise.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Darn it - I thought they will unhide my older photo sets that disappeared when I stopped paying the Pro fee, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Sigh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.