Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Well, not quite thousands of variables. More like about a dozen.

Before microcomputers came along, we used slide rules, like this load adjuster that was custom built for each cargo aircraft model:

View attachment 412917

You'd add up the weight in each compartment or at each station, and then it graphically showed if a load would be out of balance for different parameters (such as remaining fuel).

The other part of a loadmaster's job doesn't require calculations, but knowledge about how to tie down cargo and prevent problems with hazardous materials.

Cool antique!

It's not just location of loads in the C-17, it's also abilities like air drops.
The floor has 12 to 20 remote controlled release latches for automatic release in air drops. It has all the equipment on board to convert into various mission profiles. Much more to take care of then a C-47.

rogsmitty

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
Honolulu, HI
The lack of imagination here is unbelievable.

Right now everyone is simply digitizing charts and plates, but soon interactive systems will be created that will reduce cockpit workload.

And Apple has version of iPhone with no cameras, they could easily make a military version of iPad. (They should!!).

This won't be practical for quite some time. Simply bolting on an ipad to the flight deck won't suddenly reduce cockpit workload in a meaningful way other than having pubs readily available. To achieve the type of interactivity you're referring to will require designing the flight deck from the ground up with something like the iPad in mind. This is at least a decade away...even longer with the military. We don't exactly build a new airframe like the C-17 every 10-15 years. More like 30-40, sometimes 50 years. I stand by my statement that the AF over-killed on this one and spent WAY more money than was needed. If you used this EFB in its current form like I do every day, then you would agree. The iPad will never be anything more than a glorified e-reader in the military cockpit...and for good reason. It's just too big of a vulnerability. Keep drinking the kool-aid believing that it's the most secure system out there.

dmax35

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
thank god I'm getting discharged, this old SOBs don't even know hwo to work a blackberry properly.

That's because the little keyboard is frozen being where your based. Why not Minot is a tad bit cold. Thou being from Bottineau, it's not much warmer.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I used to be the technical manual distribution officer in my last duty station in the Air Force, and a heavy aircraft maintainer for 15 years. Our squadron had to maintain over 3500 technical manuals, getting multiple changes for each book every week. Inventory, proper insertion of changes, inspections, etc was an enormous time suck. Digital distribution cuts that to zero. Our maintenance personnel had to carry a 75 lb technical manual box for doing work on the flightline. Entire libraries were maintained on each aircraft in our squadron, in addition to the libraries maintained in the maintenance building for individual sign outs, deployment kits, and the like.

I'd take an iPad in a heartbeat. The government is actually being smart here, for a change. I don't have to hold a flashlight to use the device in the dark, I can send images or video of a discrepancy in motion to engineers from a forward deployed location, I have the entire aircraft tech manual library in one device. I can take time for completed discrepancies on the flightline, send emails, order parts, I can charge the device from the plane itself, etc.

The iPad is PERFECT for military use (I'd chosen the mini, though). Hell, 2 ipads would be a HUGE savings over all that damn paper (and the time it takes to maintain it).

It's nice to hear from people who would benefit. Good post.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
This won't be practical for quite some time. Simply bolting on an ipad to the flight deck won't suddenly reduce cockpit workload in a meaningful way other than having pubs readily available. To achieve the type of interactivity you're referring to will require designing the flight deck from the ground up with something like the iPad in mind. This is at least a decade away...even longer with the military. We don't exactly build a new airframe like the C-17 every 10-15 years. More like 30-40, sometimes 50 years. I stand by my statement that the AF over-killed on this one and spent WAY more money than was needed. If you used this EFB in its current form like I do every day, then you would agree. The iPad will never be anything more than a glorified e-reader in the military cockpit...and for good reason. It's just too big of a vulnerability. Keep drinking the kool-aid believing that it's the most secure system out there.

If you have seen the latest apps by Fore Flight, Wing X, and Garmin you will see what I am talking about. There have been "glorified" e-Readers as EFB's for years, and they never caught on.

I know Hawaii has a major AMC base, the 154th (friend used to be stationed there), what is your position?

S!

rogsmitty

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
Honolulu, HI
If you have seen the latest apps by Fore Flight, Wing X, and Garmin you will see what I am talking about. There have been "glorified" e-Readers as EFB's for years, and they never caught on.

I know Hawaii has a major AMC base, the 154th (friend used to be stationed there), what is your position?

S!

AMC has no presence in Hawaii. It's a PACAF base, and the 154th is the Hawaii National Guard Wing. I'm an active duty C17 driver.

The AF considered buying licenses for the apps you are referring to (and yes I'm familiar with them), but rejected them for reasons that I'm not privy to. My guess is the cost was waayyy more than they were willing to spend.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
AMC has no presence in Hawaii. It's a PACAF base, and the 154th is the Hawaii National Guard Wing. I'm an active duty C17 driver.

The AF considered buying licenses for the apps you are referring to (and yes I'm familiar with them), but rejected them for reasons that I'm not privy to. My guess is the cost was waayyy more than they were willing to spend.

Yes, I made en error.
15th Airlift Wing, 535th Airlift Squadron.

Wonderful to chat with a driver. I love the C-17, we need more of them, 250 at least, 400 ideal. I agree with you, it will be decades, easily 50 years, before a replacement is considered, and unlike fighters are always in use and in need.

Commercial tablets have just scratched the surface of changing the way flight ops are done. It will be a year of so before the full potential is reached.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.