Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Your proof about wealthier Android users preferring cheap thing is Marco Arment? A developer that didn't had any Android app and that had a clear bias against that operating system?

Besides the point - but true nonetheless. If StoneJack wants to discuss app stores and spending that's one thing. But a blanket statement that those that "wealthier" android buyers also "preferring cheaper things" is ridiculous. After 2-3 posts he still can't see how that statement is his opinion. That while he might mean App store purchasing - that's not at all what he said.

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008

This special period of “market share increase” happened after Mac’s market share dropped below 2%, with the help of the halo effect of iPod and iPhone, plus the important “jump start” factor of introducing dual-boot capability.

Yep. Exactly my point.

You didn’t seem to get the point. I mean, that “market share increase” is a special effect of several one-time surprises, and, is only single digits fluctuation that influence much with the big market share picture. Relying this kind of special events to always appear and save one’s ass is like playing slot machines.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
You didn’t seem to get the point. I mean, that “market share increase” is a special effect of several one-time surprises, and, is only single digits fluctuation that influence much with the big market share picture. Relying this kind of special events to always appear and save one’s ass is like playing slot machines.

I got the point, since it was my point.

You claimed that 95% market share with only 30% of profits was "definitely [a] safe place and I will eventually squeeze out the rest 5% to less than 2% (and thus irrelevant) in a foreseeable future." I simply provided an example where this was not true. One where the majority side had an even stronger position than in the scenario that you chose.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I've never heard that reason before... that the store is the reason developers find more success on iOS.

If that's the case... Google Play must be VERY terrible considering Android has a MUCH larger installed base.

It is very terrible.

I can't think of another explanation. Android apps are just as good as iOS apps in my experience and I doubt the average Galaxy user has a considerably lower disposable income that the average iPhone user. Most apps only cost less that $5 anyway so I doubt that is the reason. No, I've used Google Play and it's crap compared to iTunes.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Android apps are just as good as iOS apps in my experience and I doubt the average Galaxy user has a considerably lower disposable income that the average iPhone user. Most apps only cost less that $5 anyway so I doubt that is the reason.

What do Galaxy users have to do with this?

Just this past quarter... 162 million Android phones were sold. How many were Samsung Galaxy phones? Or even high-end phones at all?

That's what I keep saying... not every Android phone sold is a flagship Samsung phone.

There are a lot of Android phones sold from companies you've never heard of around the globe. And they're not all gems.

So I'm willing to bet that if you're only spending $80 on a phone instead of $600... you're probably not buying a lot of apps and earning those developers any revenue.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
What do Galaxy users have to do with this?

Just this past quarter... 162 million Android phones were sold. How many were Samsung Galaxy phones? Or even high-end phones at all?

That's what I keep saying... not every Android phone sold is a flagship Samsung phone.

There are a lot of Android phones sold from companies you've never heard of around the globe. And they're not all gems.

So I'm willing to bet that if you're only spending $80 on a phone instead of $600... you're probably not buying a lot of apps and earning those developers any revenue.

bet away. seems like a silly bet.

btw - It appears that Samsung is making 95% of the industry's profit with Android. Not saying that cheap phones and non-galaxy lines aren't selling and selling well. But I do think if Samsung is making 95% of the profits - mentioning Galaxy users is slightly relevant - no?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Quit being such a hater. It's not us rich people's fault we can buy high end iPhones with our massive disposable incomes, while you're slumming it with your cheap food stamp bought Android feature phone you'll never buy apps for (cuz you're poor). :mad:

Actually I got my husband's Thunderbolt when he upgraded - so I didn't even need to use food stamps.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Why? Why would someone buying a $80 smartphone spend less on apps?

Do you have any data showing that people who buy cheap Android phones actually purchase more apps than iPhone users?

Any way you slice it... the smartphone platform with 17% market share has more app revenue than the platform with 75% market share.

Android phones sell like crazy... we know this. Android phones come in all shapes, sizes and prices. Android phones vastly outnumber sales of the iPhone.

And yet the iPhone has more app revenue.

Earlier you blamed it on the Google Play Store. That was a unique take on the situation... I've never heard that before.

But whatever the reason... Android's colossal market share is not translating into app revenue for developers.

----------

btw - It appears that Samsung is making 95% of the industry's profit with Android. Not saying that cheap phones and non-galaxy lines aren't selling and selling well. But I do think if Samsung is making 95% of the profits - mentioning Galaxy users is slightly relevant - no?

Like I said before... 162 million Android phones were sold last quarter.

Estimates are that Samsung sold 15 million Galaxy SIII and 10 million Galaxy S4 during that quarter. And let's say a few million Galaxy Note II and the older Galaxy SII were sold as well.

Now compare that to the 162 million total Android phones sold.

You saw the chart in this article, right? 162 million Android phones sold last quarter.

Flagship Galaxy phones are a tiny percentage of Android phones sold today... and that's why I questioned their relevance.

I'm not knocking the Galaxy series of phones. But I can see that they make of a fraction of Android sales.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
bet away. seems like a silly bet.

Profit margins vary though. A $600 Samsung Galaxy with a 16% profit margin vs a $60 whitebox Android phone with a 1% profit margin.

If you look at marketshare instead of profit share you get a more accurate picture of the user base.

That low end is where the monetization problems come from

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.