Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheFewTheProud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2013
So i was trying to fix my iPod Touch LCD screen today. I opened up everything, removed the dead pixeled LCD and put in the new one. After I finished I tried turning it on, and it did, but the screen was straight up grey. Can't see anything but a full grey screen, and when I turn the iPod off, the screen turns off and when it goes on again it's grey. Nothing shows. So what do I do? Did I break everything and have to get a new one?

I also tried to solder my new head phone jack in, could soldering might've made this happen?
Thanks
xoxo

Rosina Christen

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
So i was trying to fix my iPod Touch LCD screen today. I opened up everything, removed the dead pixeled LCD and put in the new one. After I finished I tried turning it on, and it did, but the screen was straight up grey. Can't see anything but a full grey screen, and when I turn the iPod off, the screen turns off and when it goes on again it's grey. Nothing shows. So what do I do? Did I break everything and have to get a new one?

I also tried to solder my new head phone jack in, could soldering might've made this happen?
Thanks
xoxo

Maybe soldering made that happen, but did your screen still work alittle bit with the other pixeled LCD. Are you sure you picked up the right LCD and not a different one?. Also maybe the heat melted something when you were sodering.

TheFewTheProud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2013
Maybe soldering made that happen, but did your screen still work alittle bit with the other pixeled LCD. Are you sure you picked up the right LCD and not a different one?. Also maybe the heat melted something when you were sodering.

Everything was still working, just a lot of the LCD screen had dead pixels :(
I removed the dead pixeled LCD and put in the new one, it was working. Everything was all doing good, I even soldered my headphone jack in before and the LCD was working, but there was no treble working for my headphones so i resoldered it. That's when I saw that the LCD stopped working, even with the old dead pixeled LCD. I'm running out of ideas :( I'm thinking it might be the whole logic board or battery :/

Rosina Christen

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
Talking again

Everything was still working, just a lot of the LCD screen had dead pixels :(
I removed the dead pixeled LCD and put in the new one, it was working. Everything was all doing good, I even soldered my headphone jack in before and the LCD was working, but there was no treble working for my headphones so i resoldered it. That's when I saw that the LCD stopped working, even with the old dead pixeled LCD. I'm running out of ideas :( I'm thinking it might be the whole logic board or battery :/

I would suggest going to store like radioshack or other store that has experts (thinking you live by one) and have them look at it. Another choice would be to send it to Apple, if you have the registration papers and you bought it FROM a store. But that would be the last choice. I hope somebody gets on this thread and gives you better options or solutions, because i have the feeling im not helping much. I REALLY HOPE YOU GET YOUR IPOD WORKING AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheFewTheProud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2013
I would suggest going to store like radioshack or other store that has experts (thinking you live by one) and have them look at it. Another choice would be to send it to Apple, if you have the registration papers and you bought it FROM a store. But that would be the last choice. I hope somebody gets on this thread and gives you better options or solutions, because i have the feeling im not helping much. I REALLY HOPE YOU GET YOUR IPOD WORKING AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! I really hope someone finds this thread too! I saw a thread about this same issue posted at 2012, and no one replied to it :( and I highly doubt that someone at RadioShack would actually know what's wrong and people at Apple won't do jack, it's been passed it's warrant about 2 years ago :/

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
I would just put it away in a drawer and buy a new one. I recommend the 32GB iPod touch 5G (I have 64GB but that might be to much for you) It's an amazing device you will like it a lot!.

Rosina Christen

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
He

I would just put it away in a drawer and buy a new one. I recommend the 32GB iPod touch 5G (I have 64GB but that might be to much for you) It's an amazing device you will like it a lot!.

Yeah I have a 64GB and it works fantastic, I definetly agree with AppleDeviceUser

TheFewTheProud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2013
Yeah I have a 64GB and it works fantastic, I definetly agree with AppleDeviceUser

Hah, well it's not that old. It's a 3rd generation 64GB iPod Touch so I'm definitely not going to get a new one, it's perfectly fine for me.
What I'm thinking is that this is something called "White screen of Death" but I'm not really sure if it's because of pressure on the sides (common way to get the "White Screen of Death") or because it's from the soldering so which holding me back on this specific diagnoses.
Thank you for the replies.
xoxo

Rosina Christen

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
Hah, well it's not that old. It's a 3rd generation 64GB iPod Touch so I'm definitely not going to get a new one, it's perfectly fine for me.
What I'm thinking is that this is something called "White screen of Death" but I'm not really sure if it's because of pressure on the sides (common way to get the "White Screen of Death") or because it's from the soldering so which holding me back on this specific diagnoses.
Thank you for the replies.
xoxo

yeah ok

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Pressure wont cause WSOD - it's a lack of communication between the LCD and the MLB. It can be 3 things:

a) Dead LCD/Cables
b) Messed up connector on MLB
c) Messed up MLB

You've ruled out a. Given that you've been soldering, i'd say c is the most likely option.

Personally, i'd just give up and buy a new one.

TheFewTheProud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2013
Pressure wont cause WSOD - it's a lack of communication between the LCD and the MLB. It can be 3 things:

a) Dead LCD/Cables
c) Messed up MLB

You've ruled out a. Given that you've been soldering, i'd say c is the most likely option.

Then why are there a lot of threads saying that you could fix White Screen of Death by holding the power button and home? I don't think that I could've killed anything or messed anything up just because I was soldering something...

TheFewTheProud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2013

a) Dead LCD/Cables
c) Messed up MLB

And btw, it works now. All I had to do was kill the battery and recharge it again lol. Thanks for giving me a near heart attack. I should've listened to mom when she said to not trust people on the internet. Thanks for the help guys and gals, helped me clear things out. Cheers!
xoxo

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
And btw, it works now. All I had to do was kill the battery and recharge it again lol. Thanks for giving me a near heart attack. I should've listened to mom when she said to not trust people on the internet. Thanks for the help guys and gals, helped me clear things out. Cheers!
xoxo

Glad it worked out and you weren't peer pressured into buying a new piece of technology.
That's just what The Man wants you to do! :D

TheFewTheProud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2013
Glad it worked out and you weren't peer pressured into buying a new piece of technology.
That's just what The Man wants you to do! :D

Thanks babe <3 I honestly felt like these guys were working for Apple and they just wanted me to buy their product LOLOLOL.

Bless the lord for perseverance and ignorance lol.

xoxo

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
Thanks babe <3 I honestly felt like these guys were working for Apple and they just wanted me to buy their product LOLOLOL.

Bless the lord for perseverance and ignorance lol.

xoxo

It's because we don't fully know your problem, I think we all assumed you would try the basics first like restarting it, draining and charging it again. I am glad you got it working. You still should buy the next iPod when it comes out, not the 5 but the one after that, the 5th gen is an amazing device so the 6th gen should be even better! To me the 4th gen is really slow let alone the 3rd gen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.