Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Is wireless internet connection the only way to go with iPad? Or is there someway to connect the Ethernet cable to it? Why? Don't ask why :D

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
You can use Goodreader / Dropbox etc to connect your Ipad to other devices on your network.

Goodreader is my own personal choice. Very reliable, kept up to date, and works smoothly and quickly over my network.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
There is also a MacMini in the house in case i can make an internet connection through it... is it possible? I just hate the idea of changing the ModemRouter i already have.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
There is also a MacMini in the house in case i can make an internet connection through it... is it possible? I just hate the idea of changing the ModemRouter i already have.

Yes, you can turn on Internet Sharing (make sure to set password) in your Mini.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
might there be some other way other than having the mini to do the internet sharing connection? some other hardware perhaps?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
might there be some other way other than having the mini to do the internet sharing connection? some other hardware perhaps?

Yes. A wireless router. :D

If you want, you can keep your current modem/router and add the wireless router as an extension to your network.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I just have wireless, in fact i hate any kind of wireless connection and waves, anything i cant see or touch gives me the creeps! I was wondering if there could be some device simpler than a modem/router to do the job, with at least less wireless range just to be safer!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I just have wireless, in fact i hate any kind of wireless connection and waves, anything i cant see or touch gives me the creeps! I was wondering if there could be some device simpler than a modem/router to do the job, with at least less wireless range just to be safer!

Sorry, no. The whole point of tablets is portability, and it won't be very portable if it had a cable connection. And a wireless router is a very simple device, and some, like Apple's Airport Express, are quite small, about the size of a large power connector. I don't think it gets any simpler than that.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

Seriously?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

There're all kinds of "invisible" things around you:
Cellular signals
Other people's wifi
TV signals
Satellite broadcasts
Magnetic fields from the earth
Cosmic radiation
etc.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY

Examples of waves in your immediate vicinity right now:
Light
Sound
Subatomic particles (quantum mechanics :D )
Heat emitting from your body
Radio waves being broadcasted
Cellular radio waves
AND MORE

You better get your tin foil hat on now or you'll be doomed! :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, you can use a Mac as a wireless hotspot if it's connected to a source of internet, I'd suggest password protecting it however. That'll allow you to tether your iPad to your computer for internet access.

Good luck.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA

That's just...........................
NO.

Sun exposure for about an hour gives you more radiation than you could get in a lifetime of a wifi router being strapped to your head.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court

I have an old Dlink pocket router/AP/client device. I take it wherever I go. I was going to link it's replacement, but here is something even better that I think I am going to try out.

http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/connect/routers/dir-505-shareport-mobile-companion

That's just...........................
NO.

Sun exposure for about an hour gives you more radiation than you could get in a lifetime of a wifi router being strapped to your head.

Everybody's different. Embrace it, don't mock it. Listen to other's thoughts and views. No need for mockery. I bet there is a thing or two about you that others might find 'different'.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
Dead serious!

you have a lot more to worry about if you just afraid of some wifi waves. like radiation, microwave....etc. if you're this paranoid, you're better off moving to the mountains. (not that you'll escape radiation or microwave and such..etc)

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe

Yes, a MacMini is able to share through wifi... BUT... the encryption is limited to WEP and therefore considered unsafe. The radiated wifi power is fixed. If you could add an Airport Express (or some other good wifi accesspoints), you have the option to reduce the radiated wifi power (aka reducing its range) in the configuration. You can also use the 5GHz wifi option; studies show that signals at these frequencies hardly penetrate the body at all, if that is what you're worried about.

Last edited:

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

Troll. Then breathing gives you the creeps since you can't see air.

- Typing on your keyboard (either physical or touchscreen) emit sound waves
- Cooking food (or being near hot food) emits radiation
- Sun emits radiation
- Computer display (like the one you're looking at right now) emits radiation
- Anything you hear is sound waves
- Anything you see is light waves
- Anything you feel/touch is waves, vibrations are waves

Waves are in everyone's lives. You cannot escape waves. If you're using your 5 senses, you are using waves. Including taste.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
Troll. Then breathing gives you the creeps since you can't see air.

- Typing on your keyboard (either physical or touchscreen) emit sound waves
- Cooking food (or being near hot food) emits radiation
- Sun emits radiation
- Computer display (like the one you're looking at right now) emits radiation
- Anything you hear is sound waves
- Anything you see is light waves
- Anything you feel/touch is waves, vibrations are waves

Waves are in everyone's lives. You cannot escape waves. If you're using your 5 senses, you are using waves. Including taste.
I kind of agree with the troll accusation.
Makes a very odd and baseless claim on a thread, gets a large reaction and stops responding.

And besides, I'd be more worried about the fluoride in the water and the aluminum oxide in the clouds :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.