Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ajaredic

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
Funny thing, when I put my finger over the sensor it works, but when I put it on my ear during the call ithe screen stays on :/

Finally THE SOLUTION for less responsive top of the screen and proximity sensor!
There is a piece of black fabric glued in the upper part inside the case, covering the proximity sensor, front camera and the earpiece. I just removed it, cleaned the residue and VOILA! The screen is much more responsive, proximity sensor works like a charm. I am very happy. Never going to remove this case. Love love love :)

TaylorM06

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2013
Love my Otterbox so far. I've only had it for about 3 days, it survived its 30 minute water test, and a trip in the shower.

I did drop it once and the opposite side of the latches on the back popped open a little (just like when the kid in the torture test video dropped it from his 2nd floor window, but my drop was only 3-4 feet) So that's a little bit of a concern to me, but I was happy to see that I didn't have a faulty case.

Here's my issue, and maybe someone can help. When I'm talking on the phone, my screen doesn't go black, so I keep hitting the speaker and mute buttons with my face, anyone else having this issue?

MistaBishi

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
Anyone elses screen protector scratch incredibly easy? Mine has so many scratches on it now only after a couple of months. Really disappointed that such an expensive case can't have a scratch resistant screen protector, and you can't replace it :(

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
No issues with my screen. I usually keep mine in the opposite pocket as my keys though.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Anyone elses screen protector scratch incredibly easy? Mine has so many scratches on it now only after a couple of months. Really disappointed that such an expensive case can't have a scratch resistant screen protector, and you can't replace it :(
Email otterbox. Their customer service is amazing. Just give it a try, they might help you out.

astroMD77

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2013
Thanks to everyone

Hey, long time lurker here.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. It was entertaining and made easy work of my research to decide between the Otterbox and the Lifeproof. In the end I selected the Otterbox because 1) I need waterproof protection during a long vacation and 2) It's easy to take on and off and use the case only when I need it. I was a long-time user of the iPhone 4S case from Lifeproof and it was such a pain to take off. Plus, they actually tell you that you can only remove the phone from the case a certain number of times before the connections wear off.

So, thanks again everyone!

Last edited:

Hurley82989

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
hi everyone, sorry to wake a dead thread.

however, i'm thinking about switching to an otterbox armor after having the lifeproof for the past 6 months. i'm getting tired of using the adapter for the headphone jack which the lifeproof requires.

for those of you who have had this case, how are the port covers holding up?

i noticed that this is rated for 6 feet of submersion for only 30 minutes while the lifeproof is rated at the same depth for 1 hour. the rubber ports seem to be the weak spot and make me nervous about this case. over time, i'm concerned they will weaken or even easily get bumped open while underwater. my case gets wet at least 2-3x/week and i need something that can withstand this. thanks!

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011

however, i'm thinking about switching to an otterbox armor after having the lifeproof for the past 6 months. i'm getting tired of using the adapter for the headphone jack which the lifeproof requires.

i noticed that this is rated for 6 feet of submersion for only 30 minutes while the lifeproof is rated at the same depth for 1 hour. the rubber ports seem to be the weak spot and make me nervous about this case. over time, i'm concerned they will weaken or even easily get bumped open while underwater. my case gets wet at least 2-3x/week and i need something that can withstand this. thanks!

Mine gets wet a lot. About as much or more as you described. No problems, charge the phone once or twice a day, no water ever gets in. I've taken it swimming and to a water park and got it dunked and slammed on the ground, pummeled with gushing water, taken underwater pictures, and no problems. I take the phone out every couple weeks and do a water test and I've never had a drop get in.

I also use the headphone jack daily, and bend the cover back to use it with this case. Never had any seal problems with either port cover.

HiRisk

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2013

http://youtu.be/lQvYRQHi7GA

Enjoy ;)

Hurley82989

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012

cool perfect thanks for the link.

also, how's the gap between the back plate and the case? i read lots of comments awhile ago talking about this gap. is it big enough for lint/dust to get trapped in? have they solved this problem since march?

and one last question. how responsive is the top of the screen where you pull down the notification center? also, with iOS7 they're introducing the "control center" which you access by swiping from the bottom. does this seem easily done in this case? i know there were some issues in the defender hence all the new "attack" ads against otterbox

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Won a brand new one on ebay tonight, if it is as good or better than the defender i will be happy. Just want it for weekends surfing/swimming over summer. Got it for $51, they were $109 in Australia when released. Even now from $90-$100. Bargain.

Dropped a BB in our pool last year.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Won a brand new one on ebay tonight, if it is as good or better than the defender i will be happy. Just want it for weekends surfing/swimming over summer. Got it for $51, they were $109 in Australia when released. Even now from $90-$100. Bargain.

Dropped a BB in our pool last year.

Looks like i will have to turn fingerprint scan off to use this case?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.