Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
This is a cool idea but an impossible design concept - it creates dangerous tension points that will strain the lighting port, the USB and lightning connectors, the adapter, and the electrical socket unnecessarily.

Gravity likes its cables flaccid.

They actually sell a + version that costs $50,000 extra that creates an anti-gravity field around it so as to not strain the cord.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Great idea.

Other than the possibility of destorying: the Lightning port, your phone, the USB port, your cigarette lighter port, your car after the short caused in the cigarette lighter...

Last edited:

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
i think i'd prefer a clunky, but stable dock or mount. interesting idea though.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
This is a cool idea but an impossible design concept - it creates dangerous tension points that will strain the lighting port, the USB and lightning connectors, the adapter, and the electrical socket unnecessarily.

Gravity likes its cables flaccid.

How heavy do you think the iPhone is!? It would be fine.

1 a usb is plenty strong enough and the lightning connector is even stronger!

Sorry to burst you bubble but it ain't a concept... it's on sale. I'll buy one and let you know how it goes.

http://ilovehandles.com/products-page/iphone/trunk/

----------

Great idea.

Other than the possibility of destrying: the Lightning port, your phone, the USB port, your cigarette lighter port, your car after the short caused in the cigarette lighter...

Well anything is possible... but... well not really.. all the bits are way strong enough. the lighting connector is incredibly strong.

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2013

It's a mass on the end of a flexible lever arm. If this is in your car, and you hit a pothole, the forces are going to be substantially higher than just the static weight of the iPhone.

If the bendy trunk isn't rigid enough, then the phone can swing around and hit something. If it maintains its position, then those forces are transferred through. You risk damaging the phone at the connector, damaging the USB port, or dislodging the lighter socket adapter.

No thanks.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN

1 a usb is plenty strong enough and the lightning connector is even stronger!

Sorry to burst you bubble but it ain't a concept... it's on sale. I'll buy one and let you know how it goes.

http://ilovehandles.com/products-page/iphone/trunk/

----------

Well anything is possible... but... well not really.. all the bits are way strong enough. the lighting connector is incredibly strong.
I agree. This is part of the design of the lightning connector, to be able to handle a bit more force. The phone weighs so little. Not that I have any interest in this product.

yehudah72

macrumors regular
May 4, 2008
The iPhone has been out for 6 years now and there is still no full car integration as in a docking station that is on the console and fully integrated robustly. I think cars need to come with an iPhone or iPad mini size enclosure on the console.

I have a 2013 Audi A8 and has a fully iPhone-integrated center-console adapter where u can control calls and music... Get an Audi!!!

ctmaddison

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
UK
I'd personally be a tad more worried about my car and my life than my phone! There's a reason GPS units are positioned above the dashboard - if you used your phone as a GPS as in the picture it wouldn't be long before you wrapped your car around a tree or worse from taking your eyes off the road. Some very bad marketing there.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Delayed a few weeks due to unexpected demand...ugh. Got this email a little bit ago from ilovehandles.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 73

KSpider

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2006
San Diego, CA
So I ordered 3 of these... and just got them 5 minutes ago.

Aside from being a 3 inch non-certified lightning charger, they are fairly worthless as anything else...

-the lightning connector is extremely lose and any jostling or shaking and the phone sways with it (would be worthless in car). biggest disappointment

-if the phone is on any angle and not perfectly vertical, the weight of the phone begins to straighten out your bend.

-i dont think it was advertised as such, but it only bends on one axis, you cant bend it up and to the side (for example, to face the user when connected to the side of a MBP or keyboard....

-it is too short to be visible from the back of my imac.

oh well.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Just received mine yesterday. Hate to say it, but its a heap of rubbish.

Cons:

-Not a certified cable. So on iOS 7, you get the annoying warning dialogue everytime you plug it in.

-The material it is made out of is both too strong and too weak at times. It's incredibly difficult to adjust the angle to wear you want it. If you adjust it while its plugged into either the phone or the USB port, you get a nasty crackling/popping noise from the components in the iPhone and USB port being strained by the movement. This accessory WILL damage your device if not used correctly. It is not a question of if, its a question of when. The material is too weak at times in that 90% of the positions you move Trunk into, it will simply fall over with the weight of the iPhone connected to it. Tragic design flaw. This is supposed to be a "posable" Lightning cable, but has simply one position you can use it in.

Pros

-Feels solid. I could drop this off a skyscraper and I'm sure it would be fine.

-Cool to show people. Its certainly unlike any other charging cable out there.

All in all, I do not think this thing is worth the price. I would return it, but I don't really want to deal with the hassle of shipping it back. Disappointing. I thought this thing would be much more usable than it really is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.