Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google has announced plans to roll out an update to the iOS version of Chrome that will enable voice searching. The feature will function similarly to Siri on the iPhone, requiring a tap on the microphone to bring up the interactive search interface.

chromevoicesearch.jpg
Touch the microphone, say your search query aloud and see your results (in some cases spoken back to you), all without typing a single letter. Try these queries with the update (coming soon to the App Store):

- "How many miles from San Antonio to Dallas?"
- "What's the weather in Rome?"
- "Who stars in The Internship?"
Google currently includes voice search in its Google Search app through Google Now integration and has also begun offering conversational voice search with the release of Chrome 27.

Google notes that the upcoming iOS update will also bring faster reloading of web pages in addition to implementing an option for third party apps to open links in Chrome and then return back to the original app. The update will be available "over the coming days."

Article Link: Voice Search Coming Soon to Chrome for iOS

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Knew someone would mention it, I bought it when Jailbroken but have since upgraded to 6.1.3. And in any case, surely we shouldn't need to jailbreak to allow all browsers the same access to speed?

it's unfortunate but it is what it is

i also have nitrous

works well.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
I like Chrome and it's interface, but without access to the same Nitro Javascript engine as Safari, it's pointless.

you really notice a difference?

----------

i wouldn't be surprised if they merged the google search app and chrome anyway...after this update, the only thing the search app has the chrome doesn't is google now and google goggles. should be easy to add those to chrome.

jozeppy26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
St. Louis
Chrome on iOS is pretty pointless IMO unless Apple adds settings that allow you to change the default browser system-wide (something I have trouble understanding how it's not legally required, especially in the EU).

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
Chrome on iOS is pretty pointless IMO unless Apple adds settings that allow you to change the default browser system-wide (something I have trouble understanding how it's not legally required, especially in the EU).

Why would they legally have to let you? It's not like there isn't competition. You do not have to purchase a device with iOS on it. You decide to do so. By purchasing an iOS device you are willing giving away your freedom to use a different browser. Want to chnge your browser? Go android.

If you are saying this because of the Windows issue. That was different because there wasn't and still really isn't a big competitor for windows on the desktop/laptop. iOS isn't even 50% of the market. Windows was over 90%.

jozeppy26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
St. Louis
Why would they legally have to let you? It's not like there isn't competition. You do not have to purchase a device with iOS on it. You decide to do so. By purchasing an iOS device you are willing giving away your freedom to use a different browser. Want to chnge your browser? Go android.

If you are saying this because of the Windows issue. That was different because there wasn't and still really isn't a big competitor for windows on the desktop/laptop. iOS isn't even 50% of the market. Windows was over 90%.

All fair points. lol

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Knew someone would mention it, I bought it when Jailbroken but have since upgraded to 6.1.3. And in any case, surely we shouldn't need to jailbreak to allow all browsers the same access to speed?

That's why they call it jail breaking. Apple likes to keep us in jail, controlling everything. Nothing new :)

MacFan23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
I do, but not performance. Occasionally I find a website that behaves improperly, or renders incorrectly. It sometimes gets bad enough that I have to switch to safari.

Any specific examples? That shouldn't happen...

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008

Blame Apple, I wish the government would force them to open their OS to other browsers kind of like what they did to MS. Not just shells over WebKit!

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
Any specific examples? That shouldn't happen...

There was one site where instead of a pop up advert (new tab) the advert would just load in the foremost tab, making it impossible to access the site's content, but only in anything but Safari. It was a rather bootleg site, so I doubt the coders were all that good. Just the fact that the two versions are not using the same JS engine means there can be these kinds of rare inconsistencies. The other issue is that sometimes the text cursor vanishes when I try to type. I can still type, but with no indication of where I am. This could also just be a MR-specific bug since I type here the most... Don't know. That one is less rare.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
Blame Apple, I wish the government would force them to open their OS to other browsers kind of like what they did to MS. Not just shells over WebKit!

That would be completely against Apple's business model. Blame yourself for not researching the product you were buying. It has been clear from day 1 how the iPhone works.

If you don't like it, use something else.

The reason Microsoft was asked to provide choice was due to them having monopoly power over the PC market. Apple isn't even close to that kind of power.

The government have bigger fish to fry than worrying about how fast your iOS browser of choice renders pages.

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
That would be completely against Apple's business model. Blame yourself for not researching the product you were buying. It has been clear from day 1 how the iPhone works.

If you don't like it, use something else.

The reason Microsoft was asked to provide choice was due to them having monopoly power over the PC market. Apple isn't even close to that kind of power.

The government have bigger fish to fry than worrying about how fast your iOS browser of choice renders pages.

What do you mean? If you look at all traffic from mobile devices even Tim Cook says something like 80% is from an iOS device. If that's not a monopoly I don't know what is! Your other comment about me doing my research before buying is a joke, that doesn't mean Apple should get away with what they do!

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
What do you mean? If you look at all traffic from mobile devices even Tim Cook says something like 80% is from an iOS device. If that's not a monopoly I don't know what is!

Nobody is going to call monopoly power on Apple when their market share is small compared to Android - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:World_Wide_Smartphone_Sales_Share.png.

What people do with the devices is likely going to be irrelevant - although I'm no law expert.

For comparison Microsoft were over 90% market share when the monopoly cases were brought forward.

Your other comment about me doing my research before buying is a joke, that doesn't mean Apple should get away with what they do!

I'm afraid it wasn't a joke.

I have no idea how rich or poor you are. But if you're dropping upwards of $500 on a phone then you really should check to see what it does. Apple aren't "getting away" with anything. Nobody is forced to buy an iOS device - there are many alternative products on the market Android, Blackberry, Windows Phone. Apple only commands around 20% of the smartphone market - people are buying more of the competing products.

A quick web search would've have shown you exactly how iOS handles third party applications. It's not a hidden fact. Had you done your research you maybe would've ended up with an Android or another device which allows you to completely customise the experience.

You can of course offer your feedback directly to Apple too - https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html.

There is also a glimmer of hope for you judging by Tim Cook's comments at D11:

Walt: Let’s talk about control. There’s a lot of talk about open versus closed. Facebook did Facebook Home, which hasn’t done very well. Eric Schmidt said it’s great, it’s fine. I understand that they came and talked to you about it, and Apple wouldn’t let anyone take over the lock screen. Your keyboard and your recognition, predictive typing and all that stuff, hasn’t kept pace with Android. They allow other people to make that technology, third parties can give you a choice. Have you given any thought to a little bit less control?

Cook: Yeah, of course. On the general topic of opening up APIs, I think you’ll see us open up more in the future, but not to the degree that we put the customer at risk of having a bad experience. So there’s always a fine line to walk there, or maybe not so fine. We think the customer pays us to make choices on their behalf. I’ve see some of these settings screens, and I don’t think that’s what customers want. Do some want it? Yes. But you’ll see us open up more.

Walt: So there’ll be some features you’ll let third parties do?

Cook: Yes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.