Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

vivotab2.jpg
As noted by The Verge, Microsoft has released a new Windows 8 tablet ad that uses Siri to highlight a few of the iPad's shortcomings, depicting the ASUS VivoTab Smart tablet as a robust productivity machine while implying that the iPad is more suited to entertainment.

In the ad, which is entitled "Less Talking, More Doing," an iPad is depicted next to the aforementioned VivoTab Smart, showing off the system's multitasking capabilities and its built-in office apps. A Siri voiceover points out that the iPad does not support multiple windows at once and does not offer Microsoft Office apps. "I'm sorry, I can only do one thing at a time," Siri laments. "I guess PowerPoint isn't one of those things."

Article Link: Microsoft Releases Windows 8 Tablet Ad Highlighting iPad's Flaws, High Price [Updated]

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
This is now one of my favourite anti-apple adverts.

Just made me smile for some reason!

ps45

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
Boasting that there is no Powerpoint for iPad just makes me think Microsoft have been too lazy or protective to just get on and produce it. Chopsticks part is a nice dig though.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
great ad, great points.

The biggest blind spot in Apples iOS approach is that its all about simple consumption and limits the true productive flexibility of legacy computers.
This ad makes that point, and well.

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
That was clever. Doesn't make me want a Windows tablet but the chopsticks at the end made me laugh.

Somewhere out there, PC Guy is doing a mental high-five.

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Funny ad but it makes me want a windows 8 tablet even less!! The last thing I could possibly wanna do on a tablet is work on Microsoft office apps lol
They make the iPad look like the funner tablet while windows 8 is more for work than play.

toaster64

macrumors regular
May 14, 2013
Pretty good ad, but the product is terrible. For one thing, you don't get anywhere near 64GB on it, only 30GB.

Apple should actually give the iPad and iPad mini visual multitasking, not just background apps. They got it right and didn't make a PC then call it a tablet like MS did, but it could use a little more power.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I wonder how well it operates, with a low power dual-core Atom processor. Also, the ad is a bit deceptive claiming the iPad lacks PowerPoint. The Asus doesn't have it either. You can get compatible presentation software for the iPad for not much money. But for the Asus, you'd have to buy the MS Office Suite. And for any real "productivity" you'd have to add a Bluetooth keyboard. So that would bring the tablet's actual price up a bit more.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
The thing that always irks me when I watch ads that attack Apple is they always go for price.

They like to rub in the overused idea that Apple products are always more expensive by, in this case, using one of the highest spec-ed options and saying, "Look how expensive the iPad is," when it's actually a very reasonably priced tablet.

Funny, yes. But still kinda skewed. But I guess that's advertising.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I thought the Ad was pretty funny. Personally I've used a Surface RT before and I felt it was a pretty good device, especially when it comes to multi-tasking..

But I still prefer Nexus line of Android Tablets or even the Samsung Galaxy Tab (with cyanogenmod). I'm no longer a fan of iOS, but as always, my opinions may change with iOS7..

toaster64

macrumors regular
May 14, 2013
Surface Pro w/ keyboard = $1100
iPad w/ cover = $550

:confused:

The Surface Pro isn't what you'd compare to the iPad. That thing is a laptop with a touch screen, essentially. They compare the iPad to the regular Surface in the ad like it should be.

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
Having owned both the windows 8 tablet just gets in the way. Ill stick to my laptop thank you

iPad for the stuff I want to do on the fly

The MS tablet does neither well

toaster64

macrumors regular
May 14, 2013
Also, the ad is a bit deceptive claiming the iPad lacks PowerPoint.

Forget that. It's deceptive in its claim that the Surface gets 64GB. Apple does some deceiving too (formatted capacity less, OS takes up space, 1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes), but the Surface is just ridiculous. The OS by itself takes up 30GB!!! WTF?!

----------

yeah and it comes with Pages, AKA 10 dollar Wordpad

Have you ever used Pages? If you were going to bash iWork, it would make sense to bash Numbers. I switched to iWork in 2008 and have been using Pages happily after that, but I have to use Excel a lot because Numbers sucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.