Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

clear.jpg
Realmac's gesture-based list making iPhone app Clear has been updated to version 1.2.2, adding a feature that allows users to email their lists to other people. When viewing a list, Clear users can shake their phones to bring up the new emailing option.

Emails sent from Clear contain the app's lists plus a link that provides the option to open the sent lists within the app. The Clear update also provides additional secret themes and comes with an announcement that an iPad version of the app is currently in the works.
One of the biggest feature requests we've had has been the ability email lists. So we added it to our Clear list, and here it is!

Shake-to-Email: just shake your phone to bring up the all-new-super-handy email option. Emails contain your lists (of course) as well as a file that whoever receives the email can open in Clear.

We probably shouldn't tell you this, but there's a couple of secret new themes. Enjoy :)

If you've read this far, we'll reward you with the news that Clear will be coming to the iPad. More news soon!
Clear for the iPhone can be downloaded from the App Store for $1.99. [Direct Link]

The new list emailing feature has also been added to the Mac version of Clear, which is available from the Mac App Store for $9.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Clear Updated with List Emailing Functionality, iPad Version Coming Soon

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
I use Apple's Reminders app all the time because I like it's iCloud integration, but I wish it had the functionality and form of Clear.

I find myself wanting to export my Reminders all the time. Is that too much to ask from a stock app?

Last edited:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Shake to email just sounds awkward. Then again, I am biased... I hate shake gesture with passion (e.g., Articles app randomly opening a wiki article without giving you an option to turn the feature off).

Also, so-called secret menu that is activated by pull down and secret themes are all just annoying. Make the features more discoverable.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I use Apple's Reminders app all the time because I like it's iCloud integration, but I wish it had the functionality and form of Clear.

I find myself wanted to export my Reminders all the time. Is that too much to ask from a stock app?

Apple should improve between app functionality in iOS and OS X. They seem so busy with iOS features in OS X, they've neglected improving the simple functionality of their bread and butter iOS. I like what Samsung has done with SideSync, some great ideas that would have been great for iOS and OS X interoperability. I've wondered if using iTunes as the main conduit is helping matters, it definitely doesn't allow for better syncing with OS X app's as it's far too limiting.

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
What would you propose in an app like this?

Real productivity. I know quite a few people who loved the gimmicks of Clear and used it… for about a week. Then tired of it.

Its a cool game. A great UI demo. Its just not that great of an actual app. And yeah, I'm a bit biased, but I've also been in the business for 13 years working with people from the students who want to track their homework, to the "soccer parent" who needs the simplicity of tracking their home schedule and tasks to their work projects, to the doctors, attorneys, and businesspeople whose days are full of meetings and action points.

As a testimony to the other side, I also know people who wanted to be productive - got an app like ours (up front - we write productivity software) and went - man - that's too much. Got an app like Clear and are happy.

I just know more of the first kind.

blastair

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
I've used the app since day one, and I have loved every minute. The dopamine kick it gives you when you check something off your list is great, and it's so easy to use I put everything I need to do on a list. With other apps I would only put "important" or "complex" items on a list, simply because creating a new task was quite a process.

I get that some people want more, but some people want less. Clear has been a godsend for my personal workflow, and other people probably need something different. Dismissing the app because it doesn't personally work for you is ignorant.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Shake to email?

This developer is the king of gimmicks.

Their design forced them to do that bad decision. Think about it, if you want to give the users the option to email your todos, where would you put that button? Not much options.

ELMI0001

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Olympic Hills GC
Its a cool game. A great UI demo. Its just not that great of an actual app. And yeah, I'm a bit biased, but I've also been in the business for 13 years working with people from the students who want to track their homework, to the "soccer parent" who needs the simplicity of tracking their home schedule and tasks to their work projects, to the doctors, attorneys, and businesspeople whose days are full of meetings and action points.

Sounds like your experience is with people who need a to-do list/calendar option which Clear is not.

Clear works great if you use it how it is intended. It is not intended to be used as a scheduler.

sandler77

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
anyone know how to unlock the new themes?

I found three so far:

1. If you click on "Gift Me" from the grey menu, it will open up the app store. You don't have to actually pay and send it to someone, but reopen Clear after that and you unlock the "Gifted" theme.

2. If you install the app Path on your device, then reopen Clear, it unlocks the "Path" theme.

3. Same with Temple Run (original, free). It unlocks the "Temple Run" theme.

I have read online that if you use the app 7 consecutive days, it unlocks another theme. Also, I read that if you use the app between 12am and 3am, it unlocks another theme... Good luck!

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I found three so far:

1. If you click on "Gift Me" from the grey menu, it will open up the app store. You don't have to actually pay and send it to someone, but reopen Clear after that and you unlock the "Gifted" theme.

2. If you install the app Path on your device, then reopen Clear, it unlocks the "Path" theme.

I have read online that if you use the app 7 consecutive days, it unlocks another theme. Also, I read that if you use the app between 12am and 3am, it unlocks another theme... Good luck!

None of those are new, though :(

Whoever does find a new new post it here!

MvdM

Suspended
Apr 27, 2005
Shake works annoying

I just updated, but still get the undo function when I shake my iPhone.
I like Clear, but I don't like the shake to undo function. It really looks strange to undo by shaking especially with other people around. Instead of that I think it would be better to flip the iPhone (upside down) and turn it back to normal. I already mailed realmacsoftware about this, if more people do, maybe they listen and change it.

ratboy90

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2009
I found three so far:

Those are old though. The update apparently brings new themes that are hidden

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.