Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bioware and LucasArts' Star Wars role-playing game Knights of the Old Republic may be coming to the iPad in the near future, reports IGN, after obtaining a revealing email newsletter that Aspyr Media accidentally sent out to fans.

A header in the email, which was meant to advertise a sale on Call of Duty games, leaked the news: "The critically-acclaimed Star Wars RPG is now available on iPad..."

kotor.jpg
As noted by our sister site TouchArcade, the text likely refers to a Knights of the Old Republic game. Aspyr previously released the Mac port of the original KotOR game and has a presence in the App Store, having released its first iOS app, Sushi Mushi, last November.

As this was an unintentionally released headline, there is little additional information available at this time, but it is likely that more details on the iPad version of Knights of the Old Republic will be available in the near future if the leak is accurate.

Article Link: 'Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic' Might Come to the iPad

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
This game would be a massive download unless it's split-up or heavily compressed. It requires 5GB on Mac, so prepare to delete a lot.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I just couldn't get into that game for some reason. I feel ashamed to admit it.

Great news to have more "big" games on the iPad tho.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Please do! I played through most of the game a long time ago but lost my save to a hard drive failure so I never got back to playing it. It would be ideal on iPad as it isn't really a real-time game and has tons of menus and text.

Kroner

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
Norway
I bought this game on a steam sale, and have yet to play it. Maybe I will do it on the iPad?

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Day 1 purchase. the end of my time with FIFA 13.
GTA was never awesome on the iPad simply because its third person shooter mechanics is too difficult on a touch screen.
Kotor is perfect for touchscreens on the other hand.

YEW

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
IM confused is this the MMO? if so thats pretty cool.

I wonder what is keeping WOW from coming to ipad? I remember a few years ago a company made it possible but atvi bought them up and then nothing was ever heard about it again.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
How would the gameplay be?

Great! Combat can be turn based, so it would really work well on a tablet. The game rewards pausing, planning in combat.

IMO It instantly be the best game on iPad.

----------

I wonder what is keeping WOW from coming to ipad? I remember a few years ago a company made it possible but atvi bought them up and then nothing was ever heard about it again.

Nope, not the MMO. Pretty sure you would like this better. The characters in this game are some of the best written in any game.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
I'd buy it for nostalgia but but but.... I hate EA. I hope their greedy money stained hands aren't in on this.

No the Old republic is not Knights of the Old republic. Same creators, just separated by a lot of time. KOTOR was much more popular. Where last I read TOR is barely struggling to breathe.

makitango

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Day 1 purchase. the end of my time with FIFA 13.
GTA was never awesome on the iPad simply because its third person shooter mechanics is too difficult on a touch screen.
Kotor is perfect for touchscreens on the other hand.

YEW

This. I actually never thought about it either, but games like SW:KotoR are really well suited for a tablet, and imo this game is one perfect RPG. I am very much looking forward to that since I really loved that game. Everyone else who feels the same may weigh in. ;)

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I'd pick this up. Time to play through as a Sith. And with other team mates.

The story and gameplay was excellent. Has the best late game twist I've ever seen!

Elocus

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2013
A dream come true...

...I truly cannot believe my eyes! Simply imagine immersion in a game of KOTOR while traveling- on an airplane, perhaps... I'll never see airplanes the same way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.