Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbflip2000

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
Heres the difference, at least where I live. Im in Va Beach, Va

Where in Virginia Beach are you getting LTE on AT&T? When did you first get it? I live in Virginia Beach but closer to Chesapeake and I have yet to see LTE in the area.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
Microcells don't hurt battery life. They only can help by giving your phone a signal to lock on to. A phone drains the battery more when there is no signal because it is constantly searching for one.

Ok maybe not yours but it did for me. I dont even use it anymore. Lasted about a week before I disconnected it

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Microcells eat your battery

Microcells don't hurt battery life.

There are pages and pages of arguments about the 3G Microcell and battery life over on the AT&T Forums.

:)

Nobody agrees about anything, but there is some anecdotal evidence that some 3G Microcells will consume more battery.

I have no issues with mine, except of course I'd love to be able to tether on LTE that's boosted by a Microcell signal.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
There are pages and pages of arguments about the 3G Microcell and battery life over on the AT&T Forums.

Nobody agrees about anything, but there is some anecdotal evidence that some 3G Microcells will consume more battery.

I have no issues with mine, except of course I'd love to be able to tether on LTE that's boosted by a Microcell signal.

I've thought about it too but in order for a microcell to work you need to have wifi, so no real point in tethering

Mrfatboy

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2008
I've thought about it too but in order for a microcell to work you need to have wifi, so no real point in tethering

This is not true. A microcel plugs into a router/switch to get a internet connection. No wifi needed. However, I guess you could plug your microcell into a wireless bridge which wirelessly connection to your router. My guess it would increase lag in your conversations.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I stepped outside in my driveway to get 5 bars of LTE. When i go in the house LTE switches back to 4G

THe microcell isn't going to help you with this. First and foremost, microcells don't transmit LTE signals. They aren't built for it.

Why? Becuase even if it did support LTE, the data speed would *still* be only as fast as your cable modem connection. Microcells use your home internet connection to place voice calls and move data around, so it's only as fast as the slowest link... in this case, your home internet connection.

Even worse: If you use data through the microcell connection (and not Wifi), it counts against your AT&T data plan... EVEN THOUGH you are using your home internet connection. This is definitely an issue if you're on a capped plan, and could still increase your chances of throttling on a grandfathered unlimited plan.

This is why, if you're not getting a good LTE signal inside, then you still might as well use Wifi while in your house.

Last edited:

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
I just got their new 4.0 microcell which replaced my 2.0 microcell. They no longer call it a 3G microcell because it broadcasts LTE, 4G, and 3G signals. When you're on a VoIP call, it uses LTE. When you're on a normal call, it uses 3G. The ping is improved a lot from 200 to 30.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
I just got their new 4.0 microcell which replaced my 2.0 microcell. They no longer call it a 3G microcell because it broadcasts LTE, 4G, and 3G signals. When you're on a VoIP call, it uses LTE. When you're on a normal call, it uses 3G. The ping is improved a lot from 200 to 30.

There is NO such thing as a new 4.0 MicroCell. AT&T is still using the same old one they've been using forever now.

forbin42

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
There is no reason to be on LTE when you have 15 Mbps wifi...

not unless you want VoLTE and HD voice. Wi-fi is designed for data but there are voice benefits to a LTE microcell where there are poor coverage issues. A LTE microcell is hopefully coming.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
I've found that they make my battery life better, as my phone gets 5 bars and doesn't have to work as hard as when it has a weak signal. I've only ever used them with WiFi for the data.

Microcells don't hurt battery life. They only can help by giving your phone a signal to lock on to. A phone drains the battery more when there is no signal because it is constantly searching for one.

I get the same results as both of you - better battery life when connected to my Microcell.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I have the same experience as you with the microcell tower. If I don't use the microcell tower, I have 3 bars for phone and LTE showing for data. However, when on the microcell tower, I have 5 bars for service but only 4G showing for data. I wouldn't think the data would change but it does. I'm in the same boat with you for wifi not being great. I pay extra for high speed with my internet provider and 70% of the time it's fine but the rest of the time LTE is actually quicker.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Has there been any change to AT&T Microcell technology since these posts, or does it work exactly the same, just with a different physical design?

Perusing the AT&T pages, I am thinking that only the design of the housing has changed.

(PS: Isn't HD Voice great!)

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
Has there been any change to AT&T Microcell technology since these posts, or does it work exactly the same, just with a different physical design?

Perusing the AT&T pages, I am thinking that only the design of the housing has changed.

(PS: Isn't HD Voice great!)

I notice that the built in GPS antenna works better in my situation. I had to by an external one with the white microcell, but with the black microcell, the internal antenna picks up the signal without assistance.

One functional difference that is concrete: There's no way to hook up an external GPS antenna on the new black model - they removed the connector.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I quite using my Microcell. Disconnected it the other day and have 2-3 bars. Never had that before as it was never over 1-2, mostly 1. Must be a new tower or improvements to the existing as our phone work as good if not better without. Sound quality on callers seems much improved off the Microcell.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Did not know they made a cheaper black model.

Would be nice if they would add lte.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Have any of you been able to switch to WiFi calling and dump your microcell? Parents recently upgraded their iPhones to ones which support WiFi calling, they have solid WiFi, and wondering if the microcell provides any advantages over WiFi calling?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I've found that they make my battery life better, as my phone gets 5 bars and doesn't have to work as hard as when it has a weak signal.

That is absolutely true. I'm in a rural area and can't get a usable signal inside. Have been using an AT&T Microcell since aroud 2008. About, a month ago I thought the battery was dying on my phone because it was running down much faster than usual. Then I noticed it was connecting to a one-bar LTE network instead of the microcell as usual. Rebooted the microcell and the problem went away.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Have any of you been able to switch to WiFi calling and dump your microcell?

That is exactly what I did.

In my experience the Microcell is a disadvantage if you have a solid, speedy broadband signal. You should even consider going into Airplane Mode and turning on WiFi if you have AT&T WiFi Calling, in order to guarantee HD Voice!

Even if you have 5 bars of service with the Microcell, and only one or two bars without it, the WiFi is still the better way to go.

I turned off my Microcell when we got WiFi Calling, because the Microcell does not support HD Voice.

Call quality is much, much better with HD Voice on Wifi Calling. It's amazing. People call me when they're outside walking their dogs, and I'm on their speakerphone...and it sounds like a very nice, noiseless HD call.

It's great.

Of course, HD Voice only works between two compatible devices. In my case it's one AT&T iPhone to another AT&T iPhone.

I don't know why AT&T would really want to ever give us LTE on a Microcell. The only advantage that I could think of is that I could give 15 phone numbers access to HD Voice on an LTE Microcell, phone numbers to which I did not necessarily want to give access to my Wifi network.

I was just curious how things had progressed since I disconnected my Microcell, because I noticed one of the black Microcells the other day.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I just upgraded to a 6s+ and have been meaning to try wifi calling. Was still on iOS 7 on the old phone. I think wifi calling is still a pretty new feature for AT&T, isn't it? Assuming everything works OK with wifi, I will probably get rid of the microcell.

BTW, mine isn't a black box, it's a weird white, grey and orange tower sort of thing that looks like it could have been a prop in a Star Trek episode. ;)

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I assume it does. But my concern is that the phone will struggle to use to really weak LTE signal inside my house instead of switching to wifi. With the microcell it's seamless and the phone always switches due to the much stronger signal. @George Knighton suggested switching to airplane mode above, but that would be a pain to remember every time I go in or out of the house. ;)

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I assume it does. But my concern is that the phone will struggle to use to really weak LTE signal inside my house instead of switching to wifi. With the microcell it's seamless and the phone always switches due to the much stronger signal. @George Knighton suggested switching to airplane mode above, but that would be a pain to remember every time I go in or out of the house. ;)

They is a key point. The phone decides when the LTE signal is too weak and switches to WIFI calling. The question is, how often does it keep checking for a good LTE. With Microcell there is no check per se. As long as Microcell is in range it stays with Microcell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.