Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tommym1609

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2013
So I was at an baseball game last night, and I stand up for the national anthem and my phone falls a foot to the ground and a bicg crack on the bottom.. It's still usable as I'm typing this on it, but I'd really like to get it fixed. I don't have a warranty or apple care, so what would be my best course of action? Any way an apple store could help and not pay 200$ plus?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
As with every single thread on this subject you can do the following:

• Take it to the mall to have it repaired.
  • Take it to Radio Shack where they also appear to advertise glass replacement.
  • Take it to Apple, be honest, and see if they'll do an OOW replacement.
  • Take it to Apple, be honest, and if they refuse to do the OOW replacement ask for a repair quote.
  • Sit here and wonder what to do.

Good luck.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Just a warning... the mall kiosks will have you paying around $200 to fix the thing too. IMO, better to just take it to Apple at that price. This way, your manufactrer's warranty is unaffected. Granted, they may not have a way to tell the phone was taken apart by a third party anyway, but for the minimal savings, I wouldn't risk it.

Also, depending on how long you have had it and how you paid for it, it may be covered by your credit card. For example, Amex covers accidental damage 90 days after purchase.

There was actually a related article on this posted just today in the news section. https://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/2...omponents-keeping-iphone-5-repair-costs-high/

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I cracked my iphone screen....I too thought it would cost $200...I went into an Apple store and had a brand new glass installed for around $30.00

Enjoy my friend!

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
As with every single thread on this subject you can do the following:

• Take it to the mall to have it repaired.
  • Take it to Radio Shack where they also appear to advertise glass replacement.
  • Take it to Apple, be honest, and see if they'll do an OOW replacement.
  • Take it to Apple, be honest, and if they refuse to do the OOW replacement ask for a repair quote.
  • Sit here and wonder what to do.

Good luck.

Honestly why do you have to be rude? Some people are first time posters and looking for some advice. Not everyone is user that has been around for who knows how many years like yourself. I understand that there are a lot of threads on this topic, but being rude helps no one.

To the OP. Take your phone into and Apple store and see what they say. Tell them what happened, and see what they can do. It really all depends on the person you get. Some will understand and try their best to help you out, and others will not go the extra mile. It never hurt to try though. I have heard plenty of people says that Apple helped them out. Good Luck.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
Honestly why do you have to be rude? Some people are first time posters and looking for some advice. Not everyone is user that has been around for who knows how many years like yourself. I understand that there are a lot of threads on this topic, but being rude helps no one.

To the OP. Take your phone into and Apple store and see what they say. Tell them what happened, and see what they can do. It really all depends on the person you get. Some will understand and try their best to help you out, and others will not go the extra mile. It never hurt to try though. I have heard plenty of people says that Apple helped them out. Good Luck.

I don't think she's being rude, it's just a lot more helpful if you just tell them what happened. We're almost conditioned to lie to stores about what happened.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

I was not being rude. I rarely, if ever, feel the need to defend a post but in this case, I was most certainly not being rude. Consider that the tone in which you read something online could be vastly different than the tone it was delivered. I could have easily said, "search you nimrod" or something like that. That would be rude and it would likely get me another T/O because I used the word nimrod. Rude was not the intent. Searching is also not something that takes years of experience. If this forum was found via google then the posts about broken screens would have also been part of the search results. I know this because I've done it myself.

You said what I said ... I don't see it as being rude. See how subjective text can be? ;)
It is not as though I didn't provide a list of possible solutions. /shrug

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
I was not being rude. I rarely, if ever, feel the need to defend a post but in this case, I was most certainly not being rude. Consider that the tone in which you read something online could be vastly different than the tone it was delivered. I could have easily said, "search you nimrod" or something like that. That would be rude and it would likely get me another T/O because I used the word nimrod. Rude was not the intent. Searching is also not something that takes years of experience. If this forum was found via google then the posts about broken screens would have also been part of the search results. I know this because I've done it myself.

You said what I said ... I don't see it as being rude. See how subjective text can be? ;)
It is not as though I didn't provide a list of possible solutions. /shrug

"As with every single post on the subject..."

and

"Sit here and wonder what to do".

there is no margin for any *tone* interpretation there, you were being curt if not disdainful.

basically, this reads as: "don't waste my time with this; you should know better".

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

and

there is no margin for any *tone* interpretation there, you were being curt if not disdainful.

basically, this reads as: "don't waste my time with this; you should know better".
If I believe my time to be wasted then I have only myself to blame because I opted to read and respond. If time was wasted then it was my own and my own fault. I have zero reason to defend then try and wiggle out of a post that had zero intent of being rude. You can attack me, you can be rude and mean, and whatever else you want to be. If it helps you get through your day then I can, in fact, take it. Just do yourself a large favor and don't try to pull apart my posts. You'll be sadly disappointed.

Now, do you want to actually offer the OP advice or did you want to wax poetics about my text?

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
If I believe my time to be wasted then I have only myself to blame because I opted to read and respond. If time was wasted then it was my own and my own fault. I have zero reason to defend then try and wiggle out of a post that had zero intent of being rude. You can attack me, you can be rude and mean, and whatever else you want to be. If it helps you get through your day then I can, in fact, take it. Just do yourself a large favor and don't try to pull apart my posts. You'll be sadly disappointed.

Now, do you want to actually offer the OP advice or did you want to wax poetics about my text?

i have no intention of being mean to you. i just wanted to point out that bmac wasn't the only one who got that impression.

and you tried to justify it by confusing him with waffle.

anyway you are a respected member of this community and my remark limits itself to this particular post.

and yes, to the OP: Where are the screenshots?

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

and

That is your interpretation. There is always margin for tone interpretation. I've been an active member in the forums for many years and Jessica is consistently neutral and not petty to be rude or mean. She's a well respected and long time member of the forums. She doesn't strike me as the type to suffocate the OP with affection and care, especially with an issue that is pretty easy to self diagnose, but she's not the rude/mean/annoyed type either.

I would however, like to point out one option that no one has thus far posted. The OP can replace the glass/screen assembly him/herself. I don't know how difficult the process is but I'm guessing that it is at least somewhat possible. It's cheaper than having Apple or any 3rd party do it. And would maybe teach the OP a lesson to handle it with more caution and try something this time around to prevent it from occurring again.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
i have no intention of being mean to you. i just wanted to point out that bmac wasn't the only one who got that impression.

and you tried to justify it by confusing him with waffle.

anyway you are a respected member of this community and my remark limits itself to this particular post.

and yes, to the OP: Where are the screenshots?

I absolutely didn't think I could confuse him. Give the guy some credit. ;)
I'm not exactly respected, at least I don't command respect. You can certainly say what you wish to me. I'm pretty much open to anything.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I absolutely didn't think I could confuse him. Give the guy some credit. ;)
I'm not exactly respected, at least I don't command respect. You can certainly say what you wish to me. I'm pretty much open to anything.

I just thought it sounded kind rude. Oh well maybe you weren't. I just have one question. What is meant by "sit here and wonder what to do". Do you think the OP is just going to sit there and do nothing? All the other statements were good advice, but you had to throw that jab in at the end. The OP came here to see what he or she needed to do before going to the Apple store. You could have said something like "this is the stuff I can suggest, but no one really knows because every Apple case is different." You then have given him or her advice, and told him nicely that he or she want know anything until he or she goes into the Apple store.

Last edited:

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

I'm not sure that's being rude, over 90% of damage threads on here ask about how to best cheat apple, which makes it harder for those with legitimate problems to get help. Being honest is something that shouldn't have to be in there, but due to people being people, needs to be.

Fairfax

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2011
Deep Web
Check with your credit card company to see if they will cover the charge of the warranty. Some credit card companies give customers a one year extended warranty, so if your warranty just ended but a year has not passed yet then it is a good change that they will pay the repair bill.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
bmac4....Who pissed in your cheerios this morning? Your comments to jessica were rude! Just my .02.....

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
bmac4....Who pissed in your cheerios this morning? Your comments to jessica were rude! Just my .02.....

Oh ok take a look I was not the only one that thought she was being rude. I guess when you have been on this site for as long as she has people start to defend you. Just read some of the other post.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
You guys sound like a bunch of drama queens. :eek:

Internet_argument.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.